Thread: Lighters??

Blog Entries

Lighters??

I haven't flown in a plane since before Sept. 11th. I am under the impression that you cannot take a lighter or matches onto a plane. As a smoker, I am going to want a cigg as soon as the plane lands and before I get onto the bus to the resort. What's the deal with smoking in the Jamacian airport? Also, I'm going to need a lighter at the resort (matches won't work for me at the resort). I'm afraid to carry a lighter in my luggage because I don't want it to explode. Any suggestions?

Outside of the lobby where superclubs lounge is is a little patio area with a snack bar by the taxi stand. I seem to remember people smoking there. I believe you are right about not being able to take lighters on the plane- at least carrying them on- and I do not believe that a lighter will explode in your luggage on a plane. Due to the occasional transport of animals as cargo most modern planes are pressurized in the luggage area as well. Perhaps someone has practical experience with this?
    Lighters are sold in the gift shop.
    Nick (and the sassy Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

You can't carry them on board. We packed a lighter in our suitcase and everything was fine. Like mentioned though you can get them at the gift shop. I guess it all depends on what your comfortable with. As far as the airport I'm not sure about smoking in public places there. I do remember that people were smoking inside the buffet area at Hedo though.

I just went and had lighters in my carry-on both ways...and leaving JA they searched the shit out of my bag!

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

We just came back from H2 on Tuesday of this week. A bic type lighter is fine to carry on your person. I had a light jacket and kept it in the pocket, put it on the belt for scan, no problem. We did call the airport first, which I suggest you might also do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle & Jaybyrd View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Quit smoking.
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Registered User hedovirgins2009's Avatar
    Put a pack of matches in the outside pocket of your carry-on or purse. Put your lighters in your checked luggage. I fly a lot, you don't want to try to get thru security with a lighter. Even tho some won't catch it, it can end up being a pain and they will keep it.

Google your airport for specific security FAQ's.

I might not have the cherry anymore, but I still have the box it came in!

Last year Valentine's Week at Hedo II was the most fun I've ever had.
    This year will be our first trip to Hedo III April 23 - May 1 2010.

I have recently looked at the requirements for flying from Canada and you are not allowed lighters or matches. I thought that was a little silly for us smokers, but oh well.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

We were there in march of 09 smoking allowed outside when you fly in. On the way out there is a smokers lounge next to a restaurant in the airport. I carry my cigs and lighter in my laptop bag. i also pack one in checked luggage with a carton

Quote Originally Posted by hedovirgins2009 View Post
    Put a pack of matches in the outside pocket of your carry-on or purse. Put your lighters in your checked luggage. I fly a lot, you don't want to try to get thru security with a lighter. Even tho some won't catch it, it can end up being a pain and they will keep it.

Google your airport for specific security FAQ's.
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

In an effort to concentrate resources on detecting explosive threats, TSA will no longer ban common lighters in carry-on luggage as of August 4, 2007. Torch lighters remain banned in carry-ons.

Lifting the lighter ban is consistent with TSA's risk-based approach to aviation security. First and foremost, lighters no longer pose a significant threat. Freeing security officers up from fishing for 22,000 lighters every day (the current number surrendered daily across the country) enables them to focus more on finding explosives, using behavior recognition, conducting random screening procedures and other measures that increase complexity in the system, deterring terrorists. The U.S. is the only country in the world to ban lighters – all other nations, including Israel and the U.K., do not.

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Quote Originally Posted by w&cc View Post
    We were there in march of 09 smoking allowed outside when you fly in. On the way out there is a smokers lounge next to a restaurant in the airport. I carry my cigs and lighter in my laptop bag. i also pack one in checked luggage with a carton

Packing a carton in your checked luggage is a good way to lose them...carry them on! Smoke em if you got em!

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Air Canada allowed my Bic lighter but took away my torch ligher for my carry on. I did pack a second torch ligher in my suit case which works well for windy days.

That was in Feb 2010 so things may have changed once again.

Ok, guys here is a detailed report on cigarettes. The ban on lighters was lifted about three years ago. On the way there and back we had a layover each time and left the airport each time to smoke, which means we took our shoes off eight times (lighters no problem). The most important information I can offer, if you are doing an international flight is go to the duty free on your way out of the country. In New England where we live cigarettes are just about $8.00 per pack. On the way to hedo we had a stop in Charlotte. In the duty free shops you can buy cartons for $32.50 each. They will tell you that you can take 200 cigarettes per person into Jamaica without paying any fees. We bought 4 cartons and passed customs with no problems, just put two into my laptop’s case and Deb put two in her carry on, remember one carton is 200 cigarettes. Ok so on the way out, the airport, Montego Bay. The hotel kicked us out with a lot of time to spare. Inside the airport is a small bar where you can smoke if you buy a drink (ouch two Bloody Marys’$16.00, didn’t even ask for Grey Goose). Than on our way to the terminal I saw another Duty Free, in Montego Bay Airport, did not even think about looking inside, but I will next time. And yes we both got prescriptions for Chantix, will let you know, didn’t want to try that before vacation.

Blog Entries
    The lounge at the Sangster Airport in Montego Bay where you can smoke is called Cool Runnings. We always spend time there on our trip back.
    Last edited by JuicyLucie; 04-03-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo
    "Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful ....Would you meet the sun and the wind with ...your skin..? For the breath of life is in the sunlight and the hand of life is in the wind.." Kahlil Gibran

I would like to, in retrospect, encourage you to follow Paul's advice!
    Sage words there my friend!
    Nick (and the lovely Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook