Thread: Drive into town for shopping

Blog Entries

Drive into town for shopping

When staying at Hedo II, does anyone have experience taking the shuttle into town for shopping?
    Thanks,

You can just walk across the street to the open market, it really depends on what you are looking for.

Jim

my husband and i took the shuttle to town to shop, we told the driver kind of what we were looking for, and he took us to a few places. not a whole lot more than what you find at the resort vendors, but something different to do,and for 10 bucks more we got him to stop at margaritaville on the way back so we could have a good margarita. he just sat in the van and waited for us, i think we were there for an hour or so. so we got our moneys worth out of that trip!

There is a "mall" up the road a bit, wish I could remember the name of it, but it's got a few stores there where the vendors are very polite and non-aggressive. I have had pretty good deals on all manner of stuff includng cigars, shirts, mugs, etc. For artwork, I still would hit one of the more "local stands", tho the stores sell stuff as well. U have to ctach a taxi or van/ shuttle to get there tho, but that's easy enough to get out front of the resort.

There are three easy shopping options:

(1) there are vendors on-site near the Prude beach grill. Arts & crafts mostly. Prices are higher that elsewhere due to their paying rent. The vendors roatate most days to a different crew.

(2) many of those vendors above come from the Straw Market across the road, and the same stuff is cheaper there. Walk out to the main road (you *don't* need a cab), go left 250 yards, and it's on the far side of the road, behind a low fence. Haggle. Offer half of what they ask; settle for 2/3. You're feeding their families.

(3) there's an organized bus trip for shopping in town, daily(?), available at the tour desk in the front lobby. As I recall, $15. You go to (a) a T-shirt shop (b) another, larger straw market in town, with the same stuff as across the road from Hedo, and (c) "Times Square" a shopping area with more upscale stores. Jewelry, Havana cigars, etc.

We did (3) once, and settle for (2) most of the trips now.

John & Carol
    119 days
    "Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

Last year was our first trip to Hedo II. My husband and I took a taxi (just ask at the front desk) to the larger straw market and times square. Times square was nice. I felt intimidated at the straw market because everyone was trying to get you to buy from them (I have a hard time saying no to people). Two women actually got in a fight over whose store I was going to buy from. But then the majority of the women told me not to pay attention to them and to buy whatever I wanted where ever I wanted. Definately talk them down in price. This year when we go back I think I will go to the straw market across from Hedo. I didn't even know it existed.

In the markets, is it best to pay with U.S. or Jamaican dollars?