Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple solution for the music volume problem

Simple solution for the music volume problem

I experienced very un-pleasurable volume levels at Hedo (particularly the disco) and I've read numerous reviews where that issue has been raised by others. By luck, on the last night of my first time at Hedo my polite complaint was heard and the volume, while still loud, was reduced to the point that I could stay and dance in the disco for the first time of that trip. Djs who don't protect their ears often end up with damage such that they can't even hear volume the same way as people who don't have damage. It is easy to measure decibels. There are cheap iPhone aps that do it for example. Djs can be instructed by Hedo management about maximum allowed decibel levels. Managers can even play around with the equipment to decide on optimal levels to create the desired ambiance (which would be different for the piano bar vs disco vs nude pool). At the very minimum stop the hearing damage volume levels from happening. Of course if management also has hearing damage this problem may never be solved...
    Part of the reason I booked my second trip with the Fluffernutters is they have 3 pool parties. I found the volume at the Wild Women's pool party great and had one of the best nights of my life that night.

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would agree that music levels on many occasions at Hedo are on the high to painfully high levels but I have never been shy about telling a DJ or piano bar performer or even one of the ET's about the excessive and continuous volume. I have always done this AFTER a performance or event in private and explained my concerns and those of my group and subsequently, I have found the following music events were much more tolerable.

I understand that sometimes a song or two must be played louder than normal or to get a crowd charged up, but not every song.

One way to get the attention of Hedo management of course is to complete the resort survey and leave it in the box during your stay. There are no limits to the number of surveys you can do and I know Hedo staff does read them.

The vibration of windows is a dead giveaway that it is time to turn it down
    First Trip to HEDO= 7/19/14-7/26/14

Quote Originally Posted by details024 View Post
    The vibration of windows is a dead giveaway that it is time to turn it down
    Most definitely!

I wouldn't have mentioned measuring actual decibels if it weren't for the fact that I believe those djs are incapable of choosing volume by ear due to hearing damage but yeah if nothing else, know that if its vibrating the windows it's kicking the crap out of your ear cilia.

Totally agree. We don't spend a lot of time there because it's too loud for such a confined space. We we go, we usually end up hanging outside the disco. The pool parties are so much better.

Registered User Allan_Elizabeth's Avatar
    We take earplugs with us

Next trip Dec 15 - 21 2019

There seems to be no solution to the noise problem. People keep complaining and they don't do anything about it. I find the evening entertainment in the diningroom has gotten so loud over the last couple of years that I don't even stay for the entertainment anymore, we usually go outside and listen to it and come back in if it is something really interesting or if a good song comes on we want to dance to. Also, now that they have a DJ at the nude pool all day - that music level is way too loud too, you can't even talk in the pool anymore. I had to speak to them several times our week to get them to turn the level down to a tolerable level. A solution to that is to point the speakers towards the beach, which I suggested but wasn't done.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

I realy hope it isn't 2 loud at the nude pool,, and especially with all that techno crap. surely if enough people in the pool complain they will respect their wishes

Totally agree that the volume levels at Hedo have gotten way out of control. Note to Hedo management if you're reading this site: TURN THE FRICKIN MUSIC DOWN!! The two biggest issues are at the nude pool during the day and the entertainment at night. At the pool people want to visit and be social but the volume levels make that impossible unless you shout all day. Same for the nightly entertainment, it's impossible to talk to people at the same table. This has been brought up many times and Hedo management doesn't seem to be listening, very disappointing.

Perhaps if we all wore industrial level ear protection (ear muffs) and learn sign language for when we are in the high noise level areas they would get the hint. I know, not really practical...so much easier to turn down the volume to an acceptable level, because the DJs have hearing damage doesn't mean that the guests have to.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonflixxx View Post
    Most definitely!

I wouldn't have mentioned measuring actual decibels if it weren't for the fact that I believe those djs are incapable of choosing volume by ear due to hearing damage but yeah if nothing else, know that if its vibrating the windows it's kicking the crap out of your ear cilia.
    Funny thing, I had a discussion about this issue last April with Michael the night manager after my ears were ringing at the nightly show 3 seconds after it started, they actually have 4 sound pressure meters, the DJs refuse to use them (sounds like a reason for termination for insubordination to me). The audio level in the dining room is not supposed to be over 90 decibels during the entertainment. If they had OSHA in Jamaica, they would be fined nightly for not protecting their dining room staff's hearing during the shows.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

I guess my question is...if the sound is so high that the Disco is not crowded (many comments state it is empty on many nights) and as a DJ is an entertainer and he/she would be playing to an "empty house" why would this be such an issue? You would think any entertainer would get the message if no one is in the house.

Just wondering...
    Karen & Richard
    Hedonism 2 - Nov 18-25, 2014
    Saint Maarten - Club Orient & Orient Beach - Jan 16-26, 2015
    Desire RM - Apr 13-22, 2015
    Saint Maarten - Orient Beach - Nov 22-Dec 6, 2015
    Saint Maarten - Nov 21-Dec 5, 2016
    Desire Pearl - May 11-May19, 2017
    Bliss Cruise - Nov 25 -Dec 3, 2017

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd2013 View Post
    I guess my question is...if the sound is so high that the Disco is not crowded (many comments state it is empty on many nights) and as a DJ is an entertainer and he/she would be playing to an "empty house" why would this be such an issue? You would think any entertainer would get the message if no one is in the house.

Just wondering...
    The problem is that the dj's don't get the message and don't seem to care. I'm sure they're getting paid whether they're playing for a full house or an empty room. I really feel like this is an issue that management needs to step in and handle, and it's something they can fix that will cost them nothing.
    Last edited by TheRaam; 08-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

On the new hedonism community forum there is a specific "suggestion box" type category, Maybe if it was filled up with suggestions about the music volume they would get the hint. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tyc221 View Post
    On the new hedonism community forum there is a specific "suggestion box" type category, Maybe if it was filled up with suggestions about the music volume they would get the hint. Just an idea.
    I started a thread on there a few weeks ago about the music level - go post on it and maybe they will get the idea.

http://community.hedonism.com?ap_id=macra

Then go to the main pool (which is public to everyone) and then go to resort questions and you will find the thread there. I know that the management reads there all the time but not so much here. So maybe if we floor that thread they might actually listen. Unlikely, but worth a try
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast