Thread: All inclusive food - different diets? veggie/vegan

Question All inclusive food - different diets? veggie/vegan

I posted this over on hedonism.com forums, but thought I'd ask here too as it seems busier Hope that's OK!

We picked up a leaflet and chatted with someone at the Hedonism stall at Erotica in London. We're worried that if we booked to an all inclusive resort, we might end up with nothing to eat...

People who have been before - anyone veggie or vegan - how well is that catered for? Would we be eating just salads all week? Any particular resort better than the other (or any other options?)

Thanks for any ideas/experience! (including any suggestions of better places to ask )

I didn't notice any vegan options at H3 last Christmas, but I didn't request any either. Vegan choices are difficult to locate in small communities in Canada, and I expect the US, so I am not sure how easily you can eat vegan in Jamaica. There was a lot of bony goat, and although I tried it once, it wasn't my fav... Lots of great veg and fruits though, although the salads might not be all that vegan b/c of the condiments.

I did find this site that might help a bit if you are going to H2.

http://www.veganstreet.com/veganliving/jamaica.html
    Last edited by Dee&Rae; 11-24-2009 at 06:31 PM.

We're vegetarian and we're going to both Hedos in Feb. so I'll let you know what it's like

If you are going for the food; don't. There's always loads of choices at the buffets BUT you will never know if your particular food needs are accommodated on any particular day. That goes for Halal, Kosher etc. Remember: the majority of guests are North American main streeters who don't have 'special' food needs, so there's not much on offer.

Even if you ask for special diets I'd not expect them to be to your particular need. You might have to compromise.

PNK

The Hedo's do not cater to vegan/veggie....they do more standard American fare. That being said, you will find plenty of options for a veggie....lots of salads, pasta, side veggies. Vegan...not so much...but do-able. As with many of the islands, JA food tends toward sustenance, meaning meats and fats and veggies and fish....good hearty fare for people who are working hard and living off the land. Eggs and seafood are big, as is butter/lard/oil.

If you were eating out in JA and specifically in Negril, you would be able to find a variety of restaurants that do have things for the Ital diet followed by the Rastafarians - Hungry Lion on the cliffs in Negril is one! But...not so much at the AIs. Though since H2 is a buffet, they do always have a few Ital dishes.

Here is some info on Ital which might (or might not) be helpful:

http://www.jamaicans.com/culture/rasta/ital_food.shtml

If you are fine with a vegetarian diet, I think you'll fare well at H2. If you are strict vegan, you will have to work a little harder at it. But the kitchen is very friendly and I bet they would work with you if you spoke with the chef.

Hope this helps!

Liz
    Liz & Chris

I am vegetarian (although have to admit I had jerk chicken for the first time in 15 years at Hedo adding to another hedonistic experience). If you are vegan you will have a tough time getting any kind of a rounded diet. I do eat eggs and cheese, but still I actually lose weight at Hedo since there is not too much vege "junk food."

As is the case for most of Hedo "stuff" go for the people, not the typical resort things.
    Hedo 2 Nov 12-20

While I agree that the hedos don't cater to vegan or veg people I never noted a lack of fruits or vegetable at the buffets or the restaurants. Is that the same as vegetarian or vegan, no- but as someone above said, you're not goin' for the food! My only bitch veggie wise is that it seems impossible to find broccoli at H3.
    Nick (and the sexy Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dropped a comment card at the main desk (HII) last week to tell them the vege selections are a weak point. I find callaloo (or whatever) daily and it is slimy (like steamed spinach.) The salad bar has some nasty tasting salads, so I stayed away from them. Being an omnivore, I found something at every meal that I enjoy, but if you have special needs or are restricting your diet, it’s going to be tough.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Hello and welcome - As for the diet, there are plenty of fruits and veggies at HII, but depending on how strict you are on the vegan side, most of the veggies are prepared with butter, lard, etc. However, you can contact Hedonism via email and ask about any special diets they can offer. The one thing I have noticed over the years is the willingness to cater the guests at HII or HIII. See all in July 2010..
    Love Ya , Mean It
    DIF Is Killing me!
    Hedo II - Spanksgiving 2010