Thread: Last minute questions from a 1st timer

Cool Last minute questions from a 1st timer

Hey all! Three days until my first trip to Hedo (the waiting is killing me) and I have a few last minute questions I hope you can answer.

1. How much is a decent bottle of Jamaican rum and where is the best place to buy it?

2. I know tipping is a big no-no on the resort, but I tip almost as a force of habit (especially room service). If I were to leave a few bills under the pillow for room service would that cause too much of a fuss? Same question for the bartenders (if I were to say sneak a bill under a napkin or something)

3. I'm a big fan of mixed drinks (white russians, long island ice teas, etc.) and I was wondering if the bartenders can fix those on the resort. Also, what drinks would you recommend for a Hedo virgin?

Thanks in advance for any answers and I hope to see many of you on the 14th!

1; get it at the airport on your way home so you can carry it on. better than breaking in your luggage.

2; for the ride to hedo, $1 per bag. for the maid, we "leave things" that they need down there, along with a letter stating it was left for them, or they can get in trouble. 1 year we left a bag of chocolate behind for them.
    One of the entertainers, Sunshine, she *LOVES* reading. That's pretty much better than any tip you could give her. try merci by jodi picoult, all the ladies LOVE girly magazines.

we tip the the bartenders we see more often, Like karl, the nude side bartenders and the piano bar bartender.

#3, try everything, especially a woo woo. Ok, so it's not a specialty, still damned good.
    cranberry, peach schnapps and vodka. Yes, they can make the above mentioned drinks. They don't have jeager, though. If you like bloody marys, you will LOVE Delroy's bloody marys. keep in mind, a drink made by Delroy, won't taste the same as one made by one of the other bartenders. They all taste slightly different. especially the woos.

I have pictures of drinks, blue, green, white, purple, (purple rain, very good!) aim for that,
    drink water, lots of water. lots and lots of water. try a purple motherfucker shot, but not many. it might taste all innocent and sweet and smooth as grape kool-aid, don't let it fool you!

have fun!

at the nude side, by the hot tub is a strawberry daquirie slushy machine, and next to the nude side grill is a pina colada slushy machine. they're kinda weak, but faster service.

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As to tipping, we bring school supplies and clothing items with a note as above. Liquor is there, just find your happy place.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Hey all! Three days until my first trip to Hedo (the waiting is killing me) and I have a few last minute questions I hope you can answer.

1. How much is a decent bottle of Jamaican rum and where is the best place to buy it?

2. I know tipping is a big no-no on the resort, but I tip almost as a force of habit (especially room service). If I were to leave a few bills under the pillow for room service would that cause too much of a fuss? Same question for the bartenders (if I were to say sneak a bill under a napkin or something)

3. I'm a big fan of mixed drinks (white russians, long island ice teas, etc.) and I was wondering if the bartenders can fix those on the resort. Also, what drinks would you recommend for a Hedo virgin?

Thanks in advance for any answers and I hope to see many of you on the 14th!

Question#1 We've found easiest thing to do is buy at airport on your return home. Remember they wont' let you bring it on board so you have to pack it. We found it cheaper there.
    Question #2 I do the same, but I would hand it to the person discreetly
    Question #3 Not sure I just drank what they gave us.

Have a blast you will never go to a place like it again. We were first timers last year and went again this year. We keep in touch with our hedo friends more than our close to home friends. It's a special connection . Have a blast. And dont' forget Nekid Water Slide.

1. Cheapest place to buy rum is definitely the grocery store in town (same goes for Blue Mountain coffee) so if you are planning any trips into town do that shopping when you are there. Definitely don't try to buy it from the shacks along the beach or you'll pay double.

2. Tips under the pillow are okay but be more discreet than the napkin trick at the bar or with the waiters. Put it folded up right in their hands. And don't tip too frequently... we do it once at the end of the trip when we go around to shake hands and say goodbye.

3. Some of the bartenders are very talented and will be able to do anything you ask for.

Smile Booze on de Plane

If you have a direct flight home you can carry on the booze. If you don't you have to pack at the resort or once you land in the US for your connecting flight. If you carry it on, the places at the airport box it for you - which is nice.

Be very careful if you tip (I don't - just bring supplies...) because if anyone is seen accepting it they can and have been let go.

Have a great time!!
    Learn something new and play everyday!

Lovin' Life at H2!
    Join Us February 23-March 2, 2019!

Lovin' Life Info
    (Castaways Travel Agency Group)

If you participate in the EC activities you most surely win a bottle of rhum...its not rocket surgery!!!!
    I agree that tipping must be discreet. We take along gifts for our Hedo staff friends and tip others VERY carefully. They really do appreciate school stuff. We always leave a couple of backpacks and school stuff for our favs.

The bar staff know what they are doing so whatever you want they can do. C just lets them surprise her....she gets the best drinks.

You are going to love the place
    B&C

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the very informative (and quick) answers. Of course, now I'm even more anxious to get the island. Saturday cannot get here quickly enough!

You should be anxious!!!!

do everything discreetly. The employees do appreciate tips. the cook, the bartender, the maids, and btw, there is no room service....
    I give a nice tip to the people I know I will be interacting with on a daily basis on the first day or two we are there, it definitely adds more comfort to the rest of the stay...

Registered User airborne&Grmnbc's Avatar
    LOL, just wait till after your trip...THEN you'll be SERIOUSLY anxious...For your next trip!
    8 Days and a wake-up!!!
    SUCKS!
    21-28 Nov. 14. Spanksgiving Week!!