Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tipping – Please help me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Another point of view: do not tip. It may be a North American fixation, but it's out dated. What we need is for employees to be properly paid, at all times, and give good service to everyone -- not grovel for cash every day. Tipping is degrading

PNK
    I agree with you that it would be nice if employees were paid properly. And for all I know, the Hedo staff makes a good wage at the resort.

However, this is the hospitality industry. I put myself through college waiting tables and tending bar. I made very good money because my goal was to show the guest a great time. Sometimes that included some personality, and some times just excellent service. I knew I did it right when I received that 20% to 30% gratuity (back in the day that was a chuck of change.) Now if you want to call that groveling for cash, that is your privilege.

It is interesting to find out that tipping is outdated and degrading. I guess that ends the degradation of thousands and thousands of years of innkeepers, restaurants, and bars by the untold millions of people engaged in the hospitality industry throughout the histories of every culture on Earth.

From what I have read, the service at Hedo is great. When you go, please feel comfortable not to tip any further because the gratuity is included in your fee.

But, when you attempt to insult me with bonehead statements backed by absolutely nothing, then try a little harder. I know it may be difficult for you, but I’m sure you can do better than that.
    Ross & Audrey
    Orlando

HedoII Nov 15-20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    I agree with you that it would be nice if employees were paid properly. And for all I know, the Hedo staff makes a good wage at the resort.

However, this is the hospitality industry. I put myself through college waiting tables and tending bar. I made very good money because my goal was to show the guest a great time. Sometimes that included some personality, and some times just excellent service. I knew I did it right when I received that 20% to 30% gratuity (back in the day that was a chuck of change.) Now if you want to call that groveling for cash, that is your privilege.

It is interesting to find out that tipping is outdated and degrading. I guess that ends the degradation of thousands and thousands of years of innkeepers, restaurants, and bars by the untold millions of people engaged in the hospitality industry throughout the histories of every culture on Earth.

From what I have read, the service at Hedo is great. When you go, please feel comfortable not to tip any further because the gratuity is included in your fee.

But, when you attempt to insult me with bonehead statements backed by absolutely nothing, then try a little harder. I know it may be difficult for you, but I’m sure you can do better than that.
    You put that way better than I could. I'm a bartender and rely almost entirely on tips as a source of income. I make these tips because I can entertain my guests as well as get to know them, what they do, where they're from and what they drink. I build relationships with them. When we went to Hedo in June of 08, we left about $500 lighter because we forgot to bring gifts. Cash makes a huge difference to the staff there.

By the way. We tip on our last day so we know that the smiles and service we got were genuine. Except the maids. Daily. I don't want to leave on her day off and miss her.
    SexInVegas
    www.SexInVegas.com
    HEDO III, I miss you...

From the conversations I have had with many different staff members at H3, the pay is good for the region's economy. In other words good by comparison to other jobs in the area. Still for all the work they do, most people in the states would expect much more than they make. Just an observation.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by R&A View Post
    I have read this a hundred times in the threads I have read. HOW do you get the gift to waiters, activity staff, and bar tenders? Do you walk up and hand them a gift with a note attached? Do you leave it at the front desk with a note attached?
    We just give it to them personally, we find out when their shift is going to end and then bring it to them...

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

We tipped the bus driver on the way to H3. Once we got there we tipped our maid with school supplies, candies and once we found out she would be there on our last day we tipped with the supplies we forgot to give, all the chocolate we had left and money. We did not tip anywhere else except for the massage and got excellent service everywhere else on the resort. Now do I think we would have gotten the same service had we not tipped, the answer is yes. We just wanted to show that we appreciated the service we were given. Showing respect to the staff gets respect in return. Just remember it's your vacation! Have fun!

Toolittletime:
    question - where were Serena and John? Hopefully temporarily missing not gone for good

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTampa View Post
    Toolittletime:
    question - where were Serena and John? Hopefully temporarily missing not gone for good
    Not sure about John, but Serena and all the bartenders were rotated for training purposes to all the bars....

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12