Thread: Irony in Mexico

Irony in Mexico

OK - we go to cancun for the first time ever on a regular holiday (vacation) and just dont imagine the beach dress code would be any different to what it is in Europe. Oops..... I dont even own a bikini top let alone have i ever wore one in the last ten years.
    Saturday afternoon there we are on the beach and Mr Macho lifeguard comes over screaming indignantly that I have to cover up because it is against the law and there are children around and my Cancun vacation is off to a really bad start. Talk about embarrassed
    Anyway hubby takes me bikini shopping and $300 later I am feeling OK again.
    Later that night (9 - 10 o clock) we take a walk into the "party zone" and there is an outdoor bar fronting the street with teenage girls taking their tops off dancing on the bar in full view of all passers by - so called, "beach party!"
    Can anyone explain to me why I get abused for sunbathing topless in a secluded part of the beach and yet young girls can flash openly in a roadside bar??
    I just don't get it.
    Last edited by katandtone; 10-20-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo

I believe the beaches in Cancun (maybe all of Mexico) are federal property. I know all the "cops" we've seen on the beach have been federales. I would think the Cancun police would have jurisdiction at the bars/restaurants in the city itself. They may be "paid" to look the other way.

Thats just wrong.........There is a beach in Cancun, where you take the boat over to Isle Maraha (sp), that, everytime we've been waiting for the boat, we see lots, and lots of nudity (Topless only).... Maybe we're 'lucky', or just ahead of the "Federales", but I can't believe they gave you grief.... Come back to Hedo...where you don't need anything but a smile....
    Budd n Janet
    Oh Boy, Is this GREAT!!!!!!
    Flounder, Delta House

Check....another reason not to go to Mexico...Hedo rulz...

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

As if the rampant murder sprees by the cartels was not enough? Viva la titties!!!!!
    Nick (and the stacked Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think you need to go to Hedo where nobody thinks anything is unusual if you let your girls out for some fresh air...
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

We've been to several beaches in mexico and the wife always goes topless and never had a problem .Maybe the life guard was having a bad day or was just jealous that you have such a nice pairof tatas and he couldn't enjoy them .Anyway you won't have any of those problems at Hedo!!
    No pants are the best pants
    Next trip
    2017 sometime

The beach at Desire is totally nude (c/o actually) and there are warning signs at both ends saying if you go any further you may encounter nude bodies.

We've never stayed in Cancun, but have stayed a few other places along the Mayan Riviera, mostly recently in Tulum. We saw a few topless women (myself included), a naked man or two, a few asses in thongs and one couple f**ng in the water. The best part is, no college students, few children, no beach parties, no crowds and no mean life guards. A lot of the hotels and bars are owned or managed by Europeans and lots of Europeans holiday there....so topless is no big deal.

We've booked another trip for February.

Liz
    Liz & Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisandlizvt View Post
    We've never stayed in Cancun, but have stayed a few other places along the Mayan Riviera, mostly recently in Tulum. We saw a few topless women (myself included), a naked man or two, a few asses in thongs and one couple f**ng in the water. The best part is, no college students, few children, no beach parties, no crowds and no mean life guards. A lot of the hotels and bars are owned or managed by Europeans and lots of Europeans holiday there....so topless is no big deal.

We've booked another trip for February.

Liz
    I think that what you say about mayan riviera is correct. The further south and out of Cancun the more relaxed the attitude. The beach outside of Temptation is topless but the main beach on the Caribbean side (where all the big hotels are) is definately not. There were even signs around the pool where we were staying - IN BOLD - stating that full bathing suits must be worn. Anyway, no big deal once we had been there a day or two and just accepted it. In Europe we see the whole topless thing as a womens rights issue not a sexual one - it seems to be different in Mexico
    Last edited by katandtone; 10-26-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Smile Mayan Culture

My 1st trip to the Yuccatan was in 1972 atop a 1968 Triumph Bonneville, hardtail 18" over springer. Cancun didn't exist. At that time it was a very remote part of Mexico. We stayed with locals in palapas (thatched roofed huts) and slept in hammocks. There were no tourists. In the 1980's the Mexican Government discovered that what is now Cancun would be an excellent place to develop and turn into a vacation destination. At first because of the remoteness it retained it's charm as a get away. Tulum was not as it is today, it was being excavated and had a gatekeeper who sometimes charged addmission and sometimes didn't. Through the '90's college breakers and MTV discovered it. The area grew out of control until what it is today.

In the late '90's I sold everything I owned in the US and moved to Belize (the center of Mayan civilization). We would take holidays to Cancun to go shopping. Cancun was nothing like I remembered it. We then started going to the Riviera Maya. Many of the beaches were clothing optional and the local law enforcement left people alone. At some point Fox (Mexico's president) decided that the federales needed to have a presence. This was done under the guise of stopping the drug cartels. The end result was an armed presence with law enforcement openly displaying automatic weapons. The hasseling of tourists became common.

The fact is Mexico is a predomitly Catholic country and impose their beliefs in their laws. The european influence is not that great. There are c/o beaches in the less populated areas, but even they are potentially subject to enforcement. You go naked at your own risk in Mexico.

Belize is much more tolerant, even there total nudity is frowned upon, but due to the fact that it was once British Honduras and is still part of the Commonwealth, topless women are accepted.

I don't know if this sheds any light on the subject or not. Jamaica is the place for nude, not the Yuccatan.

Hope to meet some new friends in January.