Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking the Water

Drinking the Water

My daughter, who's goal in life is to save the entire planet, has told my wife not to drink the water under any circumstances. She says that even though it may be safe for locals, there are things in it that will harm tourists. Her list includes water, coffee, tea, and even the ice cubes! I'm fine, but she has my wife in a panic. Has anyone ever felt any ill effects from Jamaican water?
    Twelve trips under our belts.....
    We'll be back with the Amigos in March...

3 trips and never once had any problem with the water on the island. The filtration system is as good if not better than the states. We have had the coffee every morning and plenty of ice cubes in the drinks and no problems at all. Go and have fun!!!
    Are we there yet??

I have never had any issue drinking the water at Hedo. Coffee in the morning and after dinner and lots of ice in every drink.
    I think my body may have more issue with the mass amount of alcohol intake more than anything.
    BillyBeards

Next Trip July 12 - July 18 2015
    Fluffernutters

_____
    July '14 H2
    Aug '12 H2
    Aug '11 H2
    Aug '10 H2
    May '10 H3
    Aug '09 H3
    Aug '08 H3
    Sept '07 H3

Everytime we go to Mexico, no matter how many precautions I take, I get sick from the water, and I usually have to have a physician come to the room and give me a shot to stop the nausea. In Jamaica, I had no problems, I drank a lot of water with ice, without ice, using a straw ( so my mouth didn't touch the glass), not using a straw...potable water and clean dinner ware seems to be a huge deal at Hedo 2. In fact, at the buffet, the plates are almost scalding hot after they put them out and they are covered with a linen table cloth to prevent insects or people from sneezing on them.

In my opinion, Jamaica is definitely more conscientious about travelers and the water than places in Mexico...No worries on the water

Travelers

"Has anyone ever felt any ill effects from Jamaican water? "
    2017 sometime

Jamaica is historically British culture; they made sure the water is safe. 10 trips and no problems.

John & Carol
    "Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride." - Anthony Bourdain

The drinking water is fine in Jamaica...heck it's probably cleaner than most city water in the US. In Mexico the sulfur smell alone in the water makes me nauseous. On the other hand I'd be more concerned about the quality of Hedo's pool/hot tub water. So many people got sick from it at Hedo II, they shut down the nude pool. They said that it was from a broken pump....broken pump means the water is not being filtered, therefore not cleaned.

Registered User BLKCPLEJUSBROWS's Avatar
    Drank water with all my meals and never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by sunnnysideup69 View Post
    "Has anyone ever felt any ill effects from Jamaican water? "

Very good question asked about the water. No one wants to be sick on vacation

Drink the water, or just drink the alcohol instead It's safe. It had a different taste to it than what we were used to in the states, but its clean. We drank it 6 days and no problem.

Hedo II - 20 - 27 July 2011 - Hedo II, The Naughty Side.
    Hedo III - 24 - 31 July 2010 - Hedo III, Part Deux.
    Hedo III - 26 - 31 July 2009 - Popping our Hedo Cherry.

It depends on how sensitive YOU ARE to that particular bacteria (or other illness causing agent). I can't be 100% sure but I believe the Hedo 3 water made me very sick.

Keep in mind two things, I can eat meat so old it has mold on it with few problems, AND when I went to Hedo for the first time I had spent the prior 10 months drinking heavily purified Tigris and Euphrates water. This means I'm hyper sensitive to whatever nasties may be in my water, and my body was so accustomed to very pure water at the time that the water in the average America city might have made me just as sick as the Jamaican water.

I survived by getting bottled water from the gift shop when it was open, and mixing Jamaican water with vodka when the gift shop was closed or drinking sodas.

It's all about how well your wife knows her own body.

I can eat raw oysters all day and all night, but mussels are such guaranteed sickness for me that I won't touch them for my next 100 lifetimes.
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

Post The Water? More like food and other drinks...

My system does go haywire when I go 'home', but more due to the type of food and amount of other drinks I only consume there....grilled cheese with a side of fries for breakfast anyone? I do pack and take immodium while there because of this odd diet (& exercise ) plan. I assume the water is good, because a day or 2 at home usually ends my systems oddities.
    Learn something new and play everyday!

Lovin' Life at H2!
    Join Us February 23-March 2, 2019!

Lovin' Life Info
    (Castaways Travel Agency Group)

The water is fine to drink everywhere around Negril. No worries like Mexico. Enjoy.

Wife has a sensitive stomach, but has never had any problems with the water in Jamaica.

I'll add that 2 out of 3 trips to Mexico I had issues with the water ... the 3rd trip I took Xiafian as a precautionary measure and I'm sure that's the only reason I didn't suffer.

Out of over 30 trips to Jamaica I have NEVER had any issues whatsoever with the water and I am quite sensitive to intestinal issues.

Relax and don't worry!!

Liz (who is also very interested in helping the planet)
    Liz & Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast