Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxing concerns

Waxing concerns

Hi Ladies of Hedo!
    I typically get a brazilian wax prior to hedo, and have been very pleased with the results. However, I recently saw some horrible story on Oprah or something where a woman got a bikini wax, and some bacteria got into her body due to the wax. She ended up going septic and losing her leg.. all tied back to the bikini wax. I have also seen other articles saying bad stuff about getting waxes in sensitive areas causing infections, etc.

So, I was planning on getting this done in a few weeks before going home on 7/30, but now i am scared. Any thoughts, experiences, etc?

Thanks!
    G
    AWOL in Hedo
    7/30-8/9

Yikes!! I think there are horror stories with anything, though. You can lose a toe getting a pedicure if the equipment isn't sterile. It's all about what chances you're willing to take. I know waxing yields longer lasting results, but if you're fearful now, for your peace of mind, you might consider just shaving once or twice a day...

d
    Hedo 2, March 15-23 with the HedoAmigos

Thanks for your response! As my Grandma so nicely put it when she saw me in the tub in 8th grade: "She is a hairy little bugger, isn't she"?. I shave now, and it never gets smooth.. and i get bad shave bumps... I guess I will just have to think about it.

G

I understand your concerns, but as long as your shop is clean I do not think it will be a problem, you said you have had waxes before and no problems, so I would think that you wil be OK now. The shop I use is very clean, the person that does my waxing wears gloves and uses a new pot of wax every time. I am like you, I do not like to shave all the time, I never can get a clean close shave that compares to waxing... Have fun, save some rum for the rest of us, and keep us posted with a trip report. See all in Nov.
    Love Ya , Mean It
    DIF Is Killing me!
    Hedo II - Spanksgiving 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HOTINHOTLANTA View Post
    Hi Ladies of Hedo!
    why be excludin on the men?

So, I was planning on getting this done in a few weeks before going home on 7/30, but now i am scared. Any thoughts, experiences, etc?
    do your RESEARCH.
    check out the sites local.google.com local.yahoo.com etc for reviews of the establishments.

do the places only do waxing? or do they do nails, massages, pet grooming, tailpipe chroming etc..

I've found the places that focus on one thing, waxing, do the best job, and pay attention to cleanliness.

yes, there is a chance that some skin can be removed, and this can make you a higher risk for infection- so ask up front what they do to keep things clean, and their actual process for waxing- heck, ask for a tour of the rooms that they perform the waxing in.

be an informed consumer..

(my waxing is the Sunday before I go)

Okay, another option is to bring your own wax. Perhaps you can find out what brand they recommend, bring your own in, and have them do it for you. A little more work, but you will get as smooth as you prefer and will feel more confident that everything is clean.

d
    Hedo 2, March 15-23 with the HedoAmigos

Thumbs up

Thanks for your response! As my Grandma so nicely put it when she saw me in the tub in 8th grade: "She is a hairy little bugger, isn't she"?.....
    G
    lol...even though we have never met them, I think I like yer family....

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Statistically speaking

You're actually many times more likely to get hurt cooking, making toast or even while sleeping (falling out of bed).

Try googling sugaring. There is a place in Atlanta, called Sweetgrass Spa that does it. It's the new thing instead of waxing. No bacteria, and alot less painful. Check it out!!!

There is a product that someone recommended to me just before a cruise a few years ago...

Magic Powder.

You get it in the men's shaving stuff and it is inexpensive compared to women's products. The product is designed for black men (who experience ingrown hair and shaving bumps more often than men of other races) as an alternative to shaving.

Mix it with water. Spread on the desired area and let is sit for the prescribed time period. Use and plastic edge (plastic knife, credit card, etc.) to scrape off the hair. I use a shower puff to scrub it away.

The result is a very smooth "shave" with no ingrown hairs or shaving bumps. I have very sensitive skin and it does not irritate me.
    Steph

I'm the reason all of the rum is gone.

Bob and Steph
    AWOL 5- What a way to go!
    July 28th to August 4th, 2012
    Castaways Travel

H3 August 2009/2010
    H2 July/August 2011

Try a product called "Magic" instead of waxing. It's a depilatory designed for black men who want to have a totally smooth and shiny bald head and is a cream that comes in a tube. Find it in the shaving section at Walgreen's, CVS and even Walmart sometimes. It will get you incredibly smooth. Follow the directions to the letter and if it doesn't get you completely smooth on the first try......DO NOT use the next day. Wait for a day or so before doing it again. Works for both men and women and does not leave residue or shaving bumps.

Well just the other day while I was getting my waxing as I do every couple of weeks. I asked Olga the waxing tek about infections caused by waxing. As my legs were up in the air, and her head was in my woowoo, she told me that if you go to a cheap salon they use a cheap grade of wax and they have to set the heat higher, and this can cause burning and infection. She suggested that a specialty salon like Her's is the way to go, because they usually have a better grade of wax and are cleaner. She also showed me the the looser the wax the better it is. So as of right now all I have is a racing stripe to please my Hubby. FYI The more you go, the less painfull it is. Jo-
    Jo- & Mark

HotinAtlanta, don't let the fear mongering get to you. I agree...check out the salon and your waxer. Steph and Nancy, you have me interested in "magic/magic pwder" but mostly due to the possibility of a lower price, having it done on my own schedule and getting the same great results. I used to shave but nothing compares to the smoothness that a full Brazilian brought.

And I'll be sure to report in on results of magic powder.

Mrs. Ky(Kentucky)4Hedo

Shaving can cause the same infections.
    I recently read where they recommended a dedicated razor.

I also hate shaving, so thank you to those who mentioned the Magic Powder stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle1970 View Post
    You're actually many times more likely to get hurt cooking, making toast or even while sleeping (falling out of bed).
    yes, statistically true-
    however this isn't a mild burn from cooking, a blister from toast, or a bruise from hitting the floor.
    some of these bacteria there's no antibiotics for..

(my other crusade has been against 'mall ear piercers'.. nasty places, harmful piercing guns)

but i digress- do your homework & you should be fine.

meanwhile, I'm saving my $ for laser..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast