Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tan before travel?

We'll chime in just because it's serious.... tan and then tan some more and then tan some more and then bring from 50spf on down for your trip and adjust as you go.

Getting sunburned badly is the fastest way to ruin a great trip to Hedo!!

Quote Originally Posted by abyquest2009 View Post
    Do you think the higher rated lotions (50 and up ) would be enough to keep me a nice bright white? Or am I destined for a week of pain in places I'd rather not think about?

Had enough sunburns as a kid, so do everything I can to prevent them now, lol.
    I would bring the best lotion with the highest rating I could, and re-appy often(or have a friend). If you notice your self burning, find a shady spot at the bar and have a blast.

Trip 4 H2 July 31 - Aug 7, 2011 Can't Wait To Go HOME
    AWOL ROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4hedo View Post
    I would bring the best lotion with the highest rating I could, and re-appy often(or have a friend). If you notice your self burning, find a shady spot at the bar and have a blast.
    Thanks, I will do that It's funny because I am in an area that, if company policy allowed and local customs did not prohibit it, I could tan pretty good before going. But we are required to be covered basically from head to foot. Only short sleeves are allowed, but who wants a tan line like that? lol.

Thanks again.

The 1st time I didn't pre-tan and used the highest spf available, of "premium" water-proof brand applied liberally and often but still got too red on my shoulders. (but not the southern goods) So I've gotten a base tan the last 4 yrs. My husband kept harassing me the last 3 yrs of spf 1 million, as he calls it, so I used 30 this time. My skin wasn't burnt but it was really feeling it even though i pre-tanned. I got som spf 50 and that helped a little. Many people say pre-tanning is bad for you, however, a base tan once a year is better than a superb sunburn that ruins your vacation.
    Both cause skin damage, and cost the same amount in dermatology appointments, but only one ruins a kick ass vacation.

White or Red

We are two red heads ... pre tanning just is not an option. We just don't tan. I can say to all those other fair skinned people that my husband and I spent a week in Costa Rica and had brought Blue Lizard with us. It saved us ... we did not get an inch of burn ... and we applied it once in the morning and about every 4-5 hours later ... Can't say enough about it ... Certainly bringing a ton of it with us when we do our first Hedo trip in Sept.

another 2 here...

redheads that is...we brought Neutrogena Dry Spray #70, #45, and #30 - 5 cans total. We ended up buying more at the gift shop, but they only had coppertone spray, which we felt was too greasy.

Nevertheless, it wasn't until day 5 when we started to show a little color, and there was never any of that sun exposure itchiness or chills that you get having burned skin.

We spent a great deal of time in the pool playing volleyball, nude of course, and since any type of exposure, either through tanning beds or sun, is bad for your skin, we were glad to have the sunblock. I have several friends who have been regulars at tanning beds for the last 10 years and they have that weathered leather look to them now as they reach their 50s. I'll stay pale and mildly freckled at all costs.

At the grocery store yesterday, I saw Neutrogena has their lotion out in #100 now.

glad to hear it ...

nice to know we aren't the only "pale" folks out there ... The Blue Lizard works well with the water/sweat too ... if you are interested ... bought it via Amazon. Developed in Australia. It also will not "run" down into your eyes ... a problem for my husband who tends to sweat a great deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12