Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie questions

Wink newbie questions

Hi all~
    Thirty-six days and counting! We can't wait to get there and par-tay!

I have a couple newbie questions and would be very grateful for some input...

Can anyone tell me if there are ice machines at the resort? I have a soft sided cooler I was going to collapse and pack to keep water and drinks in our room.

Can you get bottled water at the resort? If not, is the tap water okay?

Are there laundry facilities on site? I'm trying to heed everyone's advice and pack lite--washing an item or two while there will help.

Does the resort give out beach towels to exchange daily or do you use the towels from your room?

I've seen some photos of ladies with their hair braided--do they do that there?

Do any local vendors come to the resort selling trinkets or gifts?

Do I need to bring a plug converter for the electrical outlet? (I'm coming from the U.S.)

I think that should do it for now! thanks everyone for your answers!

good questions - i'm waiting on the answers as well.

Post removed.
    Last edited by RembrandtX; 06-05-2009 at 11:35 AM.

If your stomach is at all sensitive, you know your body better than anyone, DO NOT drink the tap water. You can buy bottled water at the gift shop.

Definitely have to be early for the beach towels.

Jamaica, or at least Hedo III, uses 110v power and US style plugs. It was a pleasant surprise, because I was coming directly from the 220v and English plugs Middle East. You can google that too.
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

Beach towel shortage has always been a problem. Either Hedo doesnt own enough or they just don't wash them fast enough. Then when they do bring out a fresh load, people hoard them like starving kids in Ethopia going for food. Simple answer: Bring your own towels. The main reason you need them is to mark your chairs anyway.

Speaking of "marking your chairs" I hate this but I have to do it also. By 9AM, virtually all the prime beach chairs are taken, yet there isnt a single person in the pool. Some people even bring custom made towels or shirts from home with their name on them (and clips to hold them on) to reserve their chair. I would love to know what time some of the people get up to do this. I bet its like sunrise. NO way am I getting up that early. I disagree with the practice, but we have to do it also, or you dont get a chair.

I have a sensitive stomach and I drink more water than alcohol while I am there. The only stomach problems I ever have is from simply eating too much. To me, the word buffet means "2 full plates minimum." take that times 4 buffets a day and you will understand why I sometimes get sick.

Water bottles: bring one to keep full of ice water or whatever you drink. Ice melts fast so you will see lots of good quality large cups there. The store sells them also.

If anyone has any questions, just ask away.....
    Last edited by JnBluvhedo3; 08-16-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: because i cant type for shit.

Thank you! I do have a sensitive stomach and tend to drink more water than booze during the day so this is all really good to know. We will certainly pack a couple of our own towels as well.

I still wasn't sure if the was a washer/dryer there for guest use. Rembrantx indicated that they had dry cleaning and I probably wouldn't need it due to the nude factor. I was thinking more or less about washing our beach towels, travel clothes, etc. Is there a washer/dryer or just dry cleaning?

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

No washer and Dryer for you to use how ever if you just have to have something washed you can give it to your maid and she will take it and make sure it is washed.
    Our AC ran water in our suitcase and got all our stuff wet it was the first day and we had not unpacked so the maid took all of my stuff and had it dryed for me.
    CJ and Rebelwolf
    AKA Carolyn and Dave

www.wildwomenvacations.com

Quote Originally Posted by JnBluvhedo3 View Post
    ...Speaking of "marking your chairs" I hate this but I have to do it also...
    I have decided that on our next trip when I run across a pair of lounge chairs that has been "reserved" with a worthless old paperback novel with the cover missing, that thing is going in the trash and we're moving in. There is simply NO EXCUSE to claim a pair of loungers all day on the mere possibility that you will actually visit that day. It is very, very rude, and way out of place in an environment filled with "respectful" people like Hedo.
    Mikey and Diane

Just an old book? lol.. hell, some of these people set up custom monogramed towels with clips, alarm clocks, various sun lotions, books and towels. I dont mean some, I am talking ALL of these items, like a mini room!

One couple from Texas on a previous trip used to put 3 towels on each her and her husband's chair and fold them over so it was sort of a cushion. Then they would come back around noon.

Most just set up a towel and sun lotion and or/book.

It especially bothers me that as I sat at the pool all day, I saw numerous chairs with towels that never seem to have anyone there. But to be respectful, no one disrupts them. For the most part my wife was sitting and reading while I spent the day IN the pool, so whenever I saw people who couldnt find an open chair, I gave them mine. No sense is me having one if I spend most of my time in the water.

Sorry if I am ranting, its just that I hate this habit. But as I said, this trip we had to do it too. the resort was sold out and the one morning I counted 40 chairs being reserved while 2 people were in the pool around 930AM. I wanted a chair.

Ok I will chill.

J
    Last edited by JnBluvhedo3; 08-16-2007 at 10:09 PM.

JnBluvhedo3

That's not ranting. That's the kind of REAL KNOWLEDGE that I believe people should come to this forum for. There are someone people on this forum who are probably thinking right now, "Wow, we didn't realize that setting up our mini-room was that rude". People often have to clue me in to my rudeness.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorerotic View Post
    You can buy bottled water at the gift shop.
    I thought it was an all-inclusive resort, however you have to buy water

I thought you Aussies spoke English

Quote Originally Posted by aussiexpat View Post
    I thought it was an all-inclusive resort, however you have to buy water
    How does "You CAN buy bottled water" (implying it's an option) get translated into "you HAVE TO buy water" (implying it's forced upon you)?

I've said repeatedly in my posts that I have a sensitive stomach. That applies to food and water. I found that it was safer for ME to to drink bottled water and I was simply stating that it was an option for others.

If you have a strong stomach, please ignore anything I say about food and water.

Agreed !!

Quote Originally Posted by JnBluvhedo3 View Post
    It especially bothers me that as I sat at the pool all day, I saw numerous chairs with towels that never seem to have anyone there. J
    This practice really annoys me too, the Germans are the worst for doing it (not racism, just true ) I have vowed to my partner that he will not have to get up at the crack of sparrowsfart (5am) just to get me a seat in the shade for 6 hours later.

Nope, this time I will choose my empty seat, pick up the towel, mini room or whatever is on it and yell "Hey, who's is this? can i sit here?" and if i get no answer, i'm sitting. If they come back i'll explain and offer it back to them. No harm done.

(and you never know - they might take the ****ing hint!!)
    Last edited by Uniflip; 08-17-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    Next trip - Hedo II Feb 2022,

Nov '07 '08 '09 '10 '15 '19 - with Wild Women & Kink in the Caribbean, I miss Hedo 3.

We've used laondry service, generally takes 2-3 days Jamaica time, so be carefu; if you send stuff out near the end of the trip. In Jan. Water was available at the nude bar..filtered from pop machine to the left. Ice was available in the machine just fill your mug and away you go.
    Power is 50Hz, 110V. In the states we use 60Hz so anything with a motor will run slower like a razor or hair trimmer or heaven forbid a plug in vibrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
    I have decided that on our next trip when I run across a pair of lounge chairs that has been "reserved" with a worthless old paperback novel with the cover missing, that thing is going in the trash and we're moving in. There is simply NO EXCUSE to claim a pair of loungers all day on the mere possibility that you will actually visit that day. It is very, very rude, and way out of place in an environment filled with "respectful" people like Hedo.
    I'm definitely with you on this one. Clipped or not, I have every intention of actively participating in the "first come, first served" approach. Squatters rights do NOT apply at the beach unless you bought and paid for that chair. period.
    IslandGirl
    MY credo: Warm sand+blue water= lovin' life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast