Thread: Resort dive...

Resort dive...

OK, so on the Hedonism official site there's info on resort diving. Now, this being a "super-inclusive" resort, does that mean that the basic resort dive is included or are there extra fees not mentioned? Just wanted to make sure I'm reading it correctly.

I (the "she" of the "we") have never been scuba diving and have been dying to try (he's certified ... or is that certifiable? ... lol).

Anyway... any info / feedback from others who've been in a similar situation at Hedo II would be greatly appreciated.

Counting down to down-time!

R & F
    H2
    15-22

Scuba diving is free at Hedo no hidden fees.
    Alice & Lewis

Hedo July 9-July 19-2014 with the Fluffernutters
    Hedo Dec 22-29-2012 with the Fluffernutters

More info

Hello R & F

You do have to pay to take the course and for night dives.

Below is a link to the info page for Hedo II

Hedonism II offers classes four days a week in the crystal clear water of the Caribbean Sea on the au natural (nude) and the 'clothing required' beachs. If you are qualified, bring an International "C" card or a certificate from an internationally recognized dive school. If you are not qualified, you will have to take a swimming test. After passing, you will need to have a current Diving Medical Certificate or obtain one from a local physician. We can arrange this for a small charge. (prude beach). PADI certification diving courses are offered daily at an additional cost of $300US dollars.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thumbs up thank you...

Thanks Steve!

I read somewhere in another post on the forum that a "discover scuba" class (which I took to be the basic intro class) was $70. I'd already seen the link you set in your post before where it indicated it was included so I wasn't sure which was the more current or more correct info.

He's already certified and has been diving for many years. I've always wanted to but never had the chance and thought this would be the perfect time to give it a shot and something we might enjoy doing together sometime as well.

Not sure what's involved in the swim test. I can swim (breast stroke, back stroke, dog paddle & tread water and used to do a little snorkeling years ago - the basic stuff) but I'm no olympic competitor for speed or style ... lol

R

and...

And thanks also Lewis & Alice!

Too bad our paths won't be crossing at HedoII - looks like we're fellow NY'ers. Would've been fun to meet.
    Last edited by enigmas; 05-02-2009 at 05:03 AM.

The "Discover scuba" class covers 4 basic skills in the pool just to see if you'll have issues in the open water. It only gets you diving for a breif time at the resort under direst supervision and at shallow depths. There is no subsititue for the full PADI open water course which is $350 and covers 22 skills and all the academics involved with scuba. The full course takes about 2 1/2 days if you arrive with the "PADI Open Water" book already read. Watching the companion "PADI Open Water " dvd is also helpful.

Recommend you bring your own fins, snorkel and mask for comfort. All else is included with stay. (3 mil shorty is nice to have especially for the pool training)

If you havent been diving in a while, a "PADI scuba tuneup" or refresher will cover most everthing and will make you feel very comfortable. You'll be surpirse how much is forgotten in a year or two. A scuba tuneup costs about the same as Discover Scuba - $70.

All the costs are cheap considering what you get out of them.

You have a private message!
    Celebrating 10 Years of Spring Fling Fun at Hedo in 2018!

Virgin Trip Hedo III 4/10-17/2008
    New Years Eve, Dec.26 to Jan 3, 2009 Bare Bottom Bunch
    Fred's 60th Birthday Celebration 07/16-21/2009
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling April 2009 - 2017
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling 04/07 ~ 04/14/2018

kitten & angel's 10th Anniversary Spring Fling 2018 - April 07~14
    http://www.kittennangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by enigmas View Post

Not sure what's involved in the swim test. I can swim (breast stroke, back stroke, dog paddle & tread water
    Need to be able to swim any style 200 yards ( OR ) snorkel 300 yards.
    By snorkeling slow, steady with very relaxed breathing you can travel miles.
    Snorkeling in the pool also is the time when you can straighten out you kicking style and get your body straighter.

PADI also requires being able to float for 10 minutes. All pople are basically bouyant so just get on your back and keep some air in your lungs and you'll float forever. Boney people's legs tend to sink so moving them slightly helps to keep them up. Just relax and look at the sky and 10 minute will pass by before you know it.

Don't bring fins- they are bulky to pack and there are plenty at the resort. They do not have wetsuits but none are needed.

The main pool is colder than the ocean. If your planning on a class, a 3 mil shorty will keep you comfy in the pool.

Thank you all!!!

A friend of mine mentioned something called "Snuba". Does anyone know if that's also available at Hedo II?

Also, are non-divers allowed on the dive boats at Hedo II (someone called it "bubble-watchers" or something like that) by any chance?

R

Saw on another site that the early dive is for advanced divers only.

Can anyone confirm this? I am open water and was hoping for the 930 times...

Yes the early dive (which is the deep one) requires the divers to have a minimum of AOW. The dive leaves at 9 or 9:30

Quote Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
    Saw on another site that the early dive is for advanced divers only.

Can anyone confirm this? I am open water and was hoping for the 930 times...

9:30 (90 feet) is for Advanced only and at the discretion of the divemasters.
    Why don't you study for advanced open water while at Hedo. Not only will you get on the 9:30 boat but you'll have a almost private class with a great instructor.

I did the advanced course with Richie last November. The 930 dive is much less crowded.

It was very easy, he's got a lot of knowledge, and hey, your C-Card says Hedonism II on it! It can't bet much better than that!

When people ask about getting certified there, I always mention that the only difference is demonstration of the 6th skill, and for that, you need a special buddy!

-- Scotte