Thread: WARNING: Airline delays

WARNING: Airline delays

I just wanted to pass along that I have heard from a few people about airline overbookings and delays lately.

ShannonHeat wanted me to post her story...her flight was delayed, then her connection through Charlotte was re-routed and she had to stay overnight in Philadelphia. She'll get to Hedo a day late! Others on her flight were bumped even more.

It might be a good idea to get to the airport EARLY, and check-in in person.
    H3, March 22-28, 2009
    H2, October 9-15, 2010
    H2, October 8-15, 2011
    H2, May 16-24, 2014

“Don’t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright” -- Bob Marley

This has happen to us in the past, and is only getting worse.

That is why we have elected to schedule our arrivial in Jamiaca a day early, so if it does happen, we don't burn a resort day in some airport hotel.

There are inexpensive motel/hotel around MoBay airport should we arrive on time.
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Always good advise. I would never want to burn a day in paradise because I was late to the airport. Bump me on the return, no problem. 11 days and counting till HII!!!
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by nekkidpirate View Post
    This has happen to us in the past, and is only getting worse.

That is why we have elected to schedule our arrivial in Jamiaca a day early, so if it does happen, we don't burn a resort day in some airport hotel.

There are inexpensive motel/hotel around MoBay airport should we arrive on time.
    We have done this in the past and it is a great pre trip before Hedo. Would reccomend either Doctor Caves or the Wexford. Both are under $100 and located right in the Hip Strip of MoBay

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Thanks, we have booked a night at Toby's Resort based on some input from another board, we'll see how it goes.

Question, any problem arranging with the SuperClubs desk for pick up the next day, either at the resort/hotel, or at the pick-up area in front of the airport??
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

We had a (very) little problem last year. We came in a day early and had a room booked at Piper's Cove (right next door to Hedo III). Piper's Cove is very, very cheap per night compared to another night at Hedo ($75.00 per night per couple compared to > $350.00 for Hedo III). When we arrived at the Superclubs desk at Mobay airport, they said that our transfer from the airport to Piper's Cove wasn't covered because it was not on the same day that we booked Hedo for. It was very late at night (after midnight) and we were extremely tired. We managed to convince the Superclubs people to let us ride the bus to Piper's Cove, but we would have to pay the driver $20.00 for the trip. That is still cheap with respect to paying for a taxi from Mobay to Hedo III, but we did have to do some begging and bitching. By the way, I did ask the Hedo III front desk people when I booked the rooms that the transfer would be covered, but the Superclubs people at Sangster said they didn't have that authority to do so. So, you may run into a little bit of a hassle, but you can work around it.

We're going to do the same thing again this August when we go back, so it wasn't too big of a deal. It was a little odd to wake up at Piper's Cove and walk our luggage from their hotel to Hedo III. The security guards and front desk wondered what the hell we were doing walking up the road. Piper's Cove is a nice place to stay over if anybody is going to Hedo III. Although, we felt like outcasts sitting at their pool all day watching the people at Hedo and hearing them having fun and hooting and hollering.

This may not be the answer to the question you asked about, because you may be staying in Mobay (or closer to it). Just thought I'd drop our experience in.
    Ron

Thanks, we have booked a night at Toby's Resort based on some input from another board, we'll see how it goes.

Question, any problem arranging with the SuperClubs desk for pick up the next day, either at the resort/hotel, or at the pick-up area in front of the airport??
    We check in at the SuperClubs lounge and let them know what approximate time we will be at the airport the next morning. You will have to pay for the cab ride to the MoBay hotel, but it is like a 5 minute trip and inexpensive. The next morning you are dropped off just outside the MBJ arrival terminal, you just need to go back inside to SuperClubs and let them know you are ready to go. As for the night in Mobay, Margaritaville is fun and you also might want to try Pier 1....which is a local night club but a great way to hang out with some Jamaicans!

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Thanks, for some reason I didnt think you could get back to the SuperClubs lounge once you left the building, thats a big help.
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

Thanks, for some reason I didnt think you could get back to the SuperClubs lounge once you left the building, thats a big help.
    That's cause you got to put clothes back on to get back in the airport.
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Well, I (Joe) haven't even left yet and my flights are getting screwed up! They cancelled my departure flight heading to Hedo, and rescheduled it earlier...So booked extra night at HEDo...Awesome, right?? Well, then I just get an email and they cancel my departure flight FROM Hedo, and book it for a day earlier! Now I lose a day at HEDO! ARGH! Damn you DELTA!
    APRIL 4 - 12th WooHoo!

Thank You for posting that for me Kruise. I just got home today. Here's what happened:
    My original flight with US Airways was due to leave Houston March 22nd at 7:30am, so I go to the airport at 4:30am. I checked in in person, and had a seat in the terminal awaiting my flight. I knew it was going to get crazy when they discovered that they overbooked the flight by abot 30 poeple. However, since I was there early, they kept me on the flight. YAY!!! We began to taxi out into the runway, when suddenly the engines stopped, leaving me VERY frightened. The captain came on saying we were not cleared for takeoff because there was bad weather in Charlotte so we wouldn't be taking off for a while. We sat on the runway for an entire hour before we could take off, so when we got to Charlotte, my connecting flight to MBJ was just leaving. 20 people missed their flights in. The best they could do at this point was get me to Philly for the night for the first flight out in the morning (no compensation).
    I FINALLY got to Hedo III at about 3:30pm the next day, but at least I got there.
    My returrn flight began with about a 3 hour line at the US airways ticket counter in MBJ because their computers were down. Can you guess what happens from there? You guessed it! They held the plane for us all, but my connecting flight in Charlottle was gone. There were no more flights in to Houston for the night, or for days.....that weren't booked solid. US Airways had to send me all the way to Miami, and change my airline to American Airlines. So, I spent the night in Miami (once again at my expense), and got on a plane this morning to head home. On this trip I have come to realize that US Airways is very appropriately named. They are the only airline I've ever flown who has given me a US tour all on one trip...lol. Oh well, I got there and back all in one piece, and am looking forward to writing my trip report about the most AMAZING place on earth as soon as I get some sleep. For some reason, I haven't slept now in about 3 days (not even at the hotel).....whew!
    Thanks Y'all,

Shannon & Mike (aka Shenanigans and Utah)

Jam Out With Your Clam Out!
    July 29th - August 6th 2011

glad you made it home safe, gorgeous.

Did you have trip insurance?? I am thinking it would cover your out of pocket expenses!
    Kiki

Jon's Fluffernutters July 11-20, 2014
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2013
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2011
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2010
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2009
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2008