Thread: TSA and packing fluids/lotions

TSA and packing fluids/lotions

I have read a lot of advice about packing and I guarantee you that I WILL pack light. One set of clothes for the airplane ride down and back, that's it! The rest will be "essentials". This will fit into a medium size gym bag that I got at Target and I want to carry it on the plane so I can skip the baggage claim zoo.

What with the US airports still run (unevenly) by the TSA, how are you US travelers getting all these copious amounts of sunscreen, lube, and other liquids through security on your carry-on bags? I think the rule is 3 ounces, but that seems like a drop in the bucket compared to what would be needed for a week in the Sun.

Or should I just swallow hard and pay the high prices in the airport or at Hedo 2 once I arrive? Or are there shops close by Hedo 2 to purchase these needs?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

p.s. Any advice about bringing goodies to give to the help, yea or nay?
    Don't die wondering.

We carry all the essentials, like slutwear, etc. in our carry-on bags along with the 2.7 oz tubes of this and that that my wife needs. We check one bag that contains larger quantities of sunscreen, etc. We take our chances with the checked bag. The luggage is normally out on the carousel before we get out of customs anyway. A checked bag is also handy for going home with 3 bottles of rum cream and a couple of bottles of Appleton Rum.

Are the 2 or 3 ounce tubes enough of everything for 1 week?
    Don't die wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by hardboy View Post
    We had two small carry on bags with us, we filled 3 oz. bottles with suntan lotion, 5 with spf 30 and one with spf 60 for the sensitive areas. We were there 5 days, we used one bottle a day between us. The other 3 oz. bottles were filled with shampoo and conditioner, etc. No problem with security. Each passenger can have one quart size plastic bag filled with as many 3 oz. bottles as it can hold. One couple we met at Hedo, ran into trouble with security, because they took full size bottles of personal care and suntan lotions in their carry ons. They were made to check their bags in. Have fun on your trip.
    P.S. The gift shop sells lotion but we never got there to check prices.

Registered User cnjcpl4whatever's Avatar
    My wife and I have done more traveling this past year than expected and you are right about how much liquid you can carry on but what really got to us was when we saw a TSA agent pass the wand over and pat frisk and brand new US Marine, that made me sick and I am retired law enforcement. John
    RESPECT EVERYTIME
    ALL THE TIME,
    JOHN & TERRY
    April 17th to 29rd 2023 Trip 18

Quote Originally Posted by hardboy View Post
    No, that's why we carry larger quantities of that stuff in the checked luggage bag. We carry enough in our carry-ons to last a couple of days in case the checked luggage gets lost and delivered late. If it gets lost permanently, then we have to go buy the items.

Smile

I see. But I'm trying to avoid checking any bags at all costs. I won't be bringing back anything but memories, so no worries there.

I think Erica and Phil had the right idea: stuff as many of the little bottles as possible into a ziplock baggie. I didn't know you could do that, I thought you were limited in how many of those bottles you could take. I'll check the TSA regs again, but it looks like I will really be traveling "light"!

Thanks all, see you there I hope!
    Don't die wondering.

sunblock should be your only major concern along with deoderant maybe....they have body wash (dove) and shampoo-conditioner combo ( finesse) in dispensers in the showers....unless something has changed from last Feb !
    Kiki

Jon's Fluffernutters July 11-20, 2014
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2013
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2011
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2010
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2009
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernFried View Post
    sunblock should be your only major concern along with deodorent maybe....they have body wash (dove) and shampoo-conditioner combo ( finesse) in dispensers in the showers....unless something has changed from last Feb !
    Sunblock , deodorant, and toothpaste might be your only concern. They still have body wash and shampoo in dispensers in the showers. Walmart sells the little 3 oz. bottles, one type has a teardrop shape the other is just a round cylinder, the cylinder containers work best. You can get a few in your bag. Walmart also sells the little size deodorants and toothpaste.

Smile traveling light

Quote Originally Posted by Erica and Phil View Post
    Sunblock , deodorant, and toothpaste might be your only concern. They still have body wash and shampoo in dispensers in the showers.
    Great! More room for the fun stuff.

What a great bunch this is! Thanks all!!
    Don't die wondering.

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I believe the 3oz. max applies for all carry on baggage. That's 3oz. total liquids per bag. To purchase locally: there is a store on property, or try a cab ride to Times Square (7km.) and/or the big grocery store in Negril, which has a small mall surrounding it. That's a pretty big hassle compared to checking a bag. Baggage claim in MoBay isn't that big a deal. You'll hurry through customs and stand around waiting for the shuttle to leave anyway. Check one bag with all the essential fluids in a gallon ZipLock, (required and not a bad idea because of pressure leakage.) I always buy a few trinkets and the maximum allowable cheap booze, so the half empty checked bag gets stuffed on the way home.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

It is 3 oz per liquid container, not a total limit. But all liquids MUST fit in one quart sized baggie...

I fly frequently and know this quite well...

They do sell single use toothbrushes, which are dry pasted, so this can be packed into the carry on and eliminate a "liquid"...

We packed a big thing of SPF 60 in our checked bag(s) and no problems...yes it is 3oz on carry on so just put it in your checked luggage....trust me you will need plenty of sunscreen because you will want to be outside all the time....Can we go back yet???