Thread: What about money or traveler checks

Question What about money or traveler checks

I was wondering about money do they take USD,Traveler Checks

money

last time we were there, you couldn't tip at the resort unless unless u are pretty sneaky about it. the same bartender waited on us pretty much the whole time and when we left we gave him a good tip. we took small bills for tipping at the airport and for the stop at the bar. other than off resort excursions u really don't need cash.

We usually like to leave a small gift every morning on the bed(5 bucks) for the maid is this ok or should we leave a gift instead
    No pants are the best pants
    Next trip
    2017 sometime

Do they still make traverlers checks lol.
    I just take Canadian $ and my interac card.
    I usually just withdraw Jamaican dollars at the atm or american but usually Jamaican.
    I think the locals use more us dollars than Jamaican but they say it's all good mon.

We used american dollars without a problem except for the Burger King at the airport there (they wanted almost exact change). We did buy some things at the gift shop and asked for our change in Jamaican dollars for keep sakes but that was the only time we used the exchange.

Blog Entries
    In five trips, we have never used anything but US$ and credit cards.

www.cocktailsintl.com

Drink up the Guilty Pleasures

money

Take US currency. We did a lot of off resort trips and found most jamaicans prefer US money but will take Jamaican. They change the jamaican dollar every 2 years, I think, so there currency is not good for long. If you use US dollars make sure you get your change in US dollars, thay will try to give you Jamaican at an 80-1 exchange rate and rarely give you what you should get back. I recommend nothing bigger than $20 bills, you will have a harder time getting change if you use large bills and found some places can't take anything larger than that. Any major excursions you can use your credit card.

Thumbs up

Take lots of $5's and $1's for the tipping you intend to be discreet doing. It can cost the resort workers their jobs if they are caught. As for gifts, we take a little something for the maid, school supplies, candy, etc...we give that to her when we leave for home and also slip her a $20 or so...

Ivy and Rick
    "Life is to short, party naked"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

We took $50 in ones and came home with like $42 of it. We just didn't need much cash during the week. We threw our wallets in the safe on the first day and didn't take them out again until we were checking out. I also found our housekeeper the last day to "give" her a book I thought she'd enjoy (I'm so clever) that had some money for her in the pages.

I'm sure small US bills and credit cards are the best way to go.

We always convert from Canadian to US I try to get a bunch of small bills for tips. We always tip the maid and the porters as well as any bartender we have received good service from. We also leave stuff for special staff people that have helped us out. There wre many of those! H3 is great that way,

March 22-April 5 /09....can't wait DIF

most places around the island accept American $ - we learned not to take large bills when shopping or dining out because some will try to mess w/ you - say they don't have change or give you your change in Jamaican $.
    Please do be discreet about the cash tips - we have heard they can lose their jobs over it.
    As for gifts, we have given gum, hard candy and chocolates to the maids,bartenders and EC's and they seem to enjoy them. Also have heard they appreciate personal items - we have taken razors, shave gel, bubble bath, body sprays etc.
    Have heard that they also appreciate gifts for their children (color books, crayons, etc.) and hats, tshirts, etc. with our sports logos

Thumbs up

School supplies are a good gift too..last year our group gave all the school supplies we collected, to the Hedo 3 H/R staff to give to the resorts workers, went over well....I think we will do that again this year...

Ivy and Rick
    Life is to short, party naked

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016