Thread: Air Jamaica woes....

Thumbs up Air Jamaica woes....

Just found out AJ is making some changes.....again. They have eliminated the Wednesday night departure for Thursday morning arrival into Montego Bay from LAX. They are also making changes to the Atlanta and Miami routes. For the first time, since our first time in 2001 we are looking for another carrier. Looks like Continental from Houston is our best bet, anyone have good or bad on this carrier?

Ivy and Rick
    "Life is to short, party naked"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Ric.. Living in Houston for most of my life, I have taken many Continental flights. I have never taken an international flight, though. Continental is fine, but not much different than Delta or American, etc. IMO. Since it appears all AJ flights from ATL are cancelled, my only option for a non stop appears to be Delta. No reason to have a stop when MB is only a 2 hour flight from ATL. No matter what, we will find our way home!!!!

Good Luck!

Cheers,
    G
    AWOL in Hedo, 7/30/09-8/9/09

Thumbs up

Thanks G, I have a few options, but most fly east to go southwest, not sure I wanna fly across the US to go to Jamaica mon...

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Since JA has stop flights out of Boston, we have no choice but to get connecting flights. IMO no carrier is any better that any other as far as serves, the best we hope for is to get on a flight that leaves on time, and arrives when scheduled, and that doesn't happen all the time. So to hedge our bet, we are going down a day earlier than our scheduled arrivial to Hedo. That way, if we do encounter delays that make us miss our connection, we aren't burning a resort day enroute. If we do arrive in MoBay as scheduled, we will stay in a hotel close to the airport, and catch an early shuttle from there to Hedo the next day.

The only other thing I can suggest is, stay away from US Air, even if you make it to MoBay on time, when you depart, the line for US Air check-in counter is often a couple of hours long.
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip on US Air Oh Nekkid one, looks like we r between Delta and Continental...gonna miss that 6:30 am arrival to Mo-Bay, on resort by 9...DAMN YOU AJ!!!!!....DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!

I feel better....

Ivy and Rick
    Last edited by weliveinvegas; 01-31-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Thanks also for the tip on AJ. Our departure flight is on Wed MAr 25th. Called our travel agent who is looking into it. She found nothing saying the flight was cancelled but did notice that she could no longer book a seat for that flight, as well as our return flight which leaves on Sunday. Hopefully we will get some answers this morning after she makes some phones calls.

Will keep everyone posted on what answers I get.
    ~Bill & Dawn
    March 15th to March 23st ~ 2013
    HEDONISM II ~ NEGRIL, JAMAICA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRed View Post
    Thanks also for the tip on AJ. Our departure flight is on Wed MAr 25th. Called our travel agent who is looking into it. She found nothing saying the flight was cancelled but did notice that she could no longer book a seat for that flight, as well as our return flight which leaves on Sunday. Hopefully we will get some answers this morning after she makes some phones calls.

Will keep everyone posted on what answers I get.
    Glad we could help with the info albeit not so good..the Wednesday night departure for the early Thursday arrival was so our flight, sorry to hear of your/our loss...

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Rick, Southwest to Baltimore, stay at my place. If you come Tuesday, you can fly with us on Wednesday morning, 3 hours to Mobay. If you come Wednesday, you will have a key and can make yourself at home.

Shawn

[QUOTE=weliveinvegas;54614]Just found out AJ is making some changes.....again. They have eliminated the Wednesday night departure for Thursday morning arrival into Montego Bay from LAX. They are also making changes to the Atlanta and Miami routes. For the first time, since our first time in 2001 we are looking for another carrier. Looks like Continental from Houston is our best bet, anyone have good or bad on this carrier?

I took Continental on my trip to H2 a year ago out of Houston. It was fine since it was nonstop and only around 3 hours. The return flight was quite uncomfortable and full. Then again it was probably beacuse I didn't want to come home.

OK Folks, this is what I was able to find out yesterday.

My Travel Agent called AJ directly yesterday . Per AJ, they will no longer have service to or from Montego Bay out of LAX at all effective March 1st. All flights are cancelled as of that date. They will give you a full refund (which can take up to 3 weeks) or assist you in getting onto an alternative flight(s).

We chose to straight out cancel our reservations and booked with Delta.

If you have a reservation with AJ out of anywhere, You might wanna call and check to see your flight status.
    ~Bill & Dawn
    March 15th to March 23st ~ 2013
    HEDONISM II ~ NEGRIL, JAMAICA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nathlms View Post
    I took Continental on my trip to H2 a year ago out of Houston. It was fine since it was nonstop and only around 3 hours. The return flight was quite uncomfortable and full. Then again it was probably beacuse I didn't want to come home.
    lol...yeah I suppose kicking and screaming is a terrible way to have to fly...I am sure most folks were wondering what the problem was...lol...

Thanks for the tip, I am pretty sure we are going Continental, though we have to fly in from Vegas, it appears to be the best bet.

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

To add on to CrazyRed's post.. the same thing is apparently the case for flights out of Atlanta and Miami. Call AJ to get the details, but if you have flights out of ATL, Miami or LAX after March 1, your flight is likely cancelled.

Shame.. I like AJ!

Cheers,
    Gretchen/Gspot/G
    AWOL in Hedo, 7/30-8/9

JetBlue is going to start non-stop flights out of JFK, I think in Mar, they don't become available til 4 Feb
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

Beginning May 21, JetBlue will add service between New York JFK and Montego Bay, Jamaica. The carrier will fly one daily round-trip flight using 150-seat Airbus A320 jets. In a press release, JetBlue says connections to Montego Bay will be offered "from numerous other Northeastern cities including Boston, Buffalo, Rochester, and Washington." Tickets are expected to go on sale on Feb. 4,

CrazyRed let us know about the cancellation and we got the exact same answer. We booked through American Express and they had no info but called AJ and we got the refund. Really sucks as we fly out of Reno and a few Southwest vouchers to LAX and the nonstop to MBJ would have been great. Now we get to go through connection hell. As long as we get there.