Thread: Hedo v. Desire Cancun

Thumbs down Hedo v. Desire Cancun

We are planning our very first trip to a "Clothing Optional" resort in April. We like Hedonism's reputation and open attitude. However, I've been to a "conventional" SuperClub resort before and found the rooms and food less than great. As a result, I'm wondering if there are other resorts similar to Hedonism. So far, Desire in Cancun is the only one I've found that comes close but it doesn't sound like it has the same energy as Hedonism.

Let me ask a couple questions about these resorts:

1) Any resorts similar to Hedonism that I should know about?

2) Based upon reviews, Hedo sounds less inhibited than Desire but the quality of the property and food sounds lower. Thoughts?

3) What about the relative ages of the guests at H2, H3 and Desire? Are they all about the same? I've seen one or two reviews stating that H3 draws a slightly younger crowd than H2. I have no idea if this is true or how either compare to Desire. (We're in out late 30's.) Thoughts?

4) Beach at H2 sounds better than H3 or Desire. Thoughts?

5) Bugs at Desire sound like they could be a problem. Thoughts?

6) We like the idea of partaking in some of Jamaica's national plant at Hedonism (since it is not something we do at home) and are of the impression that it is easily obtained and okay to do openly. a) Is this true? b) Is it available and acceptable behavior at Desire?

Thanks all.

Hedo V Desire

Hello

We have been to Desire and both Hedo resorts we are late forties and early fifties

I think the most popular resorts of this nature are definatley Hedo and Desire, Cap d'age in france is pretty wild but more of a commune feel than a resort.

So far as inhibited goes, well all three resorts can be pretty wild, however hedo 2 is probably a bit more blatant, although I have to say you will never feel pressured to do anything you dont like, the people at all 3 resorts are great fun but very considerate

Age is tricky one, I suppose desires was a slightly older group, then Hedo 3 then 2, but I think it really depends who is there at the time, more and more younger people are going than when started 10 years ago (but maybe we are getting older!!)

Hedo 2 beach is far far better than 3, thats the main reason we are going back there this year.

Didnt have a bug problem at Desire at all, only comment I would make is that the hot tub is separate to the pool area so you cant easily drift from one to the other, you have to make a concious move to the hot tub, food is excellent, rooms are better than either 2 or 3

I tried the national plant, honestly it made me very uncomfortable, felt our of control and had to go lie down til it wore off, wouldnt do it again although no lasting damage was done, apparently it is very strong.

We are at 2 fro the 12th to 25th of Feb

P&S

Been to H3 & Desires, won't be going back to Desires, for a couple of reasons:

Rooms: yes Desires is newer, so the whole place is in excellent shape, our standard room had a shower only, no tub, no mirrors on the ceiling, seems like a small thing, but its something we don't have at home, and enjoy.

Food: I have to say, I did not like food as much as H3, it was very bland to me, not at all like other authentic Mexican food I have had else where. Maybe they are appealing to the American / European palete. I very much like the Jamicain dishes that are usually offered at H3, sometimes they are to spicey for some, not me.

Facilities: Nice pool, grounds, & beach at Desires, but you must walk up and down a very steep flight of stairs to get to and from the hot tub, over very slippery tiles, when wet.

Atmostphere: Dead , dead during the day at Desires, bring a book. Yes, in the later afternoon, the hot tub does get hopping, and the Disco at night is very lively, the DJ's actually play music and at a volume, the patrons want, and the play room is alot of fun.
    But the day time fun does not compare to H3

Personnel: Very efficiant service at Desires, pool side drink service as well, but try to get one of the staff to yuk it up a bit, good luck. The staff at H3, while sometimes can be cranky, they are hardly ever not lively.

Nude verses Clothing opitional: Desires is C/O, H3 has C/O, Nude & Prude areas

Singles: Couples only at Desires, singles allowed at H3, while this is a a plus to some, we have meant a good deal of singles that where a blast, and added a different view to the mix.

Of course this is all my opinion, others will vary
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

what about PDAs at Desires. Is it common? Frowned upon? encouraged? Daytime or night?
    When you get back from Hedo, reality just slaps you in the forhead............we miss Hedo 2

Didn't see any PDA's during the day, tho there are open air beds all around the resort, even on the beach. Problem with the beach is, its open to the public, with strollers all during the day.

NOw in the later afternoon, and thru the night, especially up in and around the hot tub, yes.

Also the disco has a ,for couples only, play room, quite large actually, and it did get active in there some nights
    NekkidPirate

Hedo 3-
    Apr 2003 -2008
    Oct 2003-2005

Desires Cancun-
    Sep 2008
    Oct 2015

Hedo 2-
    Apr 2009
    Apr 2016
    Apr 2017

N Resort-

Desires Pearl-
    Apr 2013

We've been to both Hedo's and to both Desires. We actually prefer Desire because of the couples-only policy and because the facilities are much nicer and the Mexican staff busts its ass to make sure everything is as it should be. This is not a slam on Hedo or singles. We're booked at Hedo II the first week of March, 2009. We could have gone back to Desire but we wanted some variety in our vacations and we love Hedo. As for PDA's, it is limited to specific areas at Desire but if you go to one of the two designated areas, you can see and do anything you want.

Here's another view:

I liked the appearance of Desire. Nicer rooms though the basic/standard room is not as nice at H3 and about on par with H2. Nothing fancy.

It was much cleaner than Hedo. Staff much nicer. Entertainment crew was working hard when we were there and there was more group participation as we were there with a group. That can make a huge difference I would think at Desire.

Bugs...awful! Some rooms even had problems with them if you were beachfront. Though we understand that it depends a lot on the season...if it's rainy, more bugs.

Disco...a lot more fun. Three dance poles, decent music and not blasting so that it hurt your ears and they took requests.

Beach...small. Pretty but small.

Food...main buffet is smaller than Hedo. My husband wasn't happy with it but I thought it was "ok". Specialty restaurants much better than Hedo's choices. Again, staff much more attentive. Also, poolside grill had a larger assortment and nicer food.

Wait staff will come around and take orders for drinks when your sitting out at the pool.

Hot Tub...gorgeous rooftop hot tub and yes, dangerous stairs. Long flight going up and at the tub the steps up into it are not lighted and slippery.

The only places we saw PDAs were at the hot tub (which opened at 3 each day) or the Palapa beds on the beach. The pool basiclly closed down at night as it was cooler and not much going on there.

Also, tips are not mandatory but they are more or less expected. For the service we got...it was worth it. Small tips go a long way.

Spa...MUCH nicer than Hedo. Great service and somewhat elegant.

Workout room...OK.Nicer than H3 but the same or not as good at H2 from what I recall of it.

Also...a LOT to do if you wish to leave the resort...nice tours, beautiful towns, fun bars in downtown Cancun.

Personally I wish Desire allowed singles.

Age range: I've seen older and younger crowds at Hedo. Never felt out of place at eitherl. We were recently at Temptation which is known for a young crowd and it was very mixed and mostly older the week we were there. You can't plan on a certain age group no matter where you go or when you go there or you may be disappointed.

The price is much more than it should be however and while the base rooms were a disappointment, the upgraded rooms weren't worth the cost in my opinion.

I'd recommend Hedo over Desire for a first trip to a lifestyle resort as it's the people and the atmosphere you want and you can't find friendlier people than at Hedo even if there isn't a group there.

There are many things I liked about Cancun and Desire though and it was a refreshing change.

Dance Wicked For A Week: 10/20-10/27/18
    Spring Break: 4/20-4/27/19

www.PoleDancerTravel.com

Hedonism II Presents The Erotic World Pole Dance Championships
    10/20-10/27/18:
    www.EroticPoleDanceWorldChampionships.com

Hedo

Our take:

1) Any resorts similar to Hedonism that I should know about?

Grand Lido Braco/Negril; Hidden Beach Resort (Cancun); Desire (Cancun)

2) Based upon reviews, Hedo sounds less inhibited than Desire but the quality of the property and food sounds lower. Thoughts?

We agree. Generally wilder at Hedo but you can get any action you want at Desire. The food is much better at Desire as is the quality of the facilities. The Mexican staff works much harder to please in my opinion.

3) What about the relative ages of the guests at H2, H3 and Desire? Are they all about the same? I've seen one or two reviews stating that H3 draws a slightly younger crowd than H2. I have no idea if this is true or how either compare to Desire. (We're in out late 30's.) Thoughts?

Depends on the week but H3 is generally slightly younger. Desire is generally about the same as the H2 crowd. These are all generalizations because it changes from week to week at any resort.

4) Beach at H2 sounds better than H3 or Desire. Thoughts?

Best beach is Desire. Followed by H2. Then H3. Wait a minute, do they have a beach at H3? LOL The nude beach is very small and man-made at H3 and is a definite draw-back for H3. Don't go there expecting a nice nude beach. You'll be disappointed. The beach at Hedo II is the seven-mile beach which is absolutely splendid for long walks.

5) Bugs at Desire sound like they could be a problem. Thoughts?

We've never had any problem whatsoever with bugs at Desire (three trips).

6) We like the idea of partaking in some of Jamaica's national plant at Hedonism (since it is not something we do at home) and are of the impression that it is easily obtained and okay to do openly. a) Is this true? b) Is it available and acceptable behavior at Desire?

Easily available at H2. You'll be constantly solicited. I've never seen it at Desire. Mexicans who work at resorts don't generally test their own drug laws or enforcement. The punishments are too severe. It is not accepted at Desire. I'm certain that you would be told to quit if a staff member saw you smoking.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WyHe View Post
    We are planning.....

Thanks all.
    Friends of ours that partake of the herb have been to Desires as well as Hedo, they said that it was non existent at Desires. I would say that the use of it is a bit more "controlled" in Mexico.

Ivy and Rick
    "Life is to short, party naked"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016