Thread: Gretchen's (G-Spot) Trip Report (AWOL)

Talking Gretchen's (G-Spot) Trip Report (AWOL)

Gretchen (G-Spot), AWOL (ANOTHER WEEK OF LUNACY), 7/31-8/9

This was my third trip to Hedonism 3, and my first trip report. I could not let this trip go by without one, because it was definitely my best trip thus far (with the exception of the absence of my sweetie). It is a bit long, so bear with me. This year, I traveled alone because my wonderful boyfriend could not make it (sadness), but no worries, I am going with 72 great friends.. I had no idea how great! AWOL (Another Week of Lunacy)… well, WOW!

Travel:
    I flew Air Jamaica from Atlanta to MBJ. Living in ATL is a definite advantage when it comes to travel to and from JA.. a non stop 2.5 hour flight! I was fortunate to get to the ATL airport early enough to upgrade to First Class to get my trip started out right! The flight was delayed a couple hours, but no worries.. home come soon, Mon. The flight was uneventful, and I like First Class! I drank about 5 glasses of champagne with my really good (for airplane food) breakfast. I was on the flight with a huge group going on a trip from a local radio station, and I was sitting next to the DJ. The group was very lively, so that did really put me in the mood for the party to come. I arrived in the MBJ Sangster Airport, and got through immigration and customs in about an hour. Then off to the Superclubs Lounge to check in. I had about a 15 minute wait for the bus, so off to the bar outside to pick up my first of many vodka and TINGs for the ride. The bus ride was pretty uneventful. Most of the people on the bus were going to Breezes, but when we stopped for the potty/drink break I asked the bus driver if anyone else was going to “MY resort”, and he said the couple next to me was also “cool”. When we returned to the bus, I spent the rest of the trip talking to them, and convinced them to look into AWOL for their next trip. (Travel back to ATL.. same basic thing.. upgrade, delay, arrival)

Arrival:
    I arrived at the resort a couple hours late, and to my sadness there was no one in the lobby. I was not surprised considering my delay, and only a few AWOLers were at the resort on Thursday. I know they were there waiting for me when I was supposed to arrive. I booked ROH, and ended up in a 2nd floor pool view room which was ready immediately. I went to my room, got out of my restrictive clothes and headed straight for the nude pool. I got in a couple days before most of the AWOL group so I could see some of my friends from the group I traveled with previously which was there the week prior to AWOL. When I got to the pool… the trip truly began!! I saw my friends, and really started the party. Shortly after arriving I was fortunate enough to attend M/T’s beautiful wedding vow renewal. It really was well done and quite romantic.

I am not going to do a day by day description of the 9 days. The flowing alcohol all day and night really blurs the lines of chronology. The majority of our group arrived on Saturday. When I awoke (early for me.. around 10), I went to the front lobby and spent most of the day there helping to meet and greet new AWOLers. I spent a lot of time at the main bar that day rendezvousing and reuniting with many wonderful people. The rest of the week was a phenomenal non-stop party with the best group of folks I could ever imagine.

The Food:
    The food was very good everywhere. I only made breakfast twice (for those who know me will be pretty impressed with that), but my omelet was fantastic each time! I usually had lunch at the Nude Pool since that is usually where I was at lunchtime, but ate at the Scotch Bonnet (Reggae Café) a few times. Both venues are wonderful! I could eat those nachos with jerk chicken and cheese at the nude pool every day! The Scotch Bonnet is always fantastic! I either ate at Pastafari or Muasan every night.. both excellent! I did not eat at the dinner buffet, but did partake in the midnight buffet a couple times (I think it was good.. kinda blurry).

Staff:
    In a word: spectacular! Serena at the nude pool rocks! All the ECs (entertainment coordinators) were very fun and helped to keep the party going (not that we needed much help). Johnny at the piano bar really is fantastic. I know some people think he is kind of dry and maybe not a perfect fit for Hedo, but if you get to know him, you will realize he is quite the funny perv! Just ask me about the “wheel barrel”! You just have to get to know him a bit. The front desk staff was very timely and accommodating and all the bartenders and servers always possessed a smile to accompany their top notch service. I also had the opportunity to talk to the main band… very talented and cool!

AWOL/The People:
    This was AWOL’s first trip together. The comradeship of this group was nothing short of miraculous. Our wonderful hosts, R/I and N/K (along with the design team, S/B) worked very hard to set the stage for an amazing week, and were always there for us throughout our time there. Thank you, thank you! I may have traveled solo, but never felt alone amongst all my friends; however, I did miss my Doug. I honestly cannot put into words how this group (of all ages and backgrounds) came together without any ‘cliques’, and just had FUN! From having the disco literally stop to watch us dancing on the piano bar, to partying till sun up in the pool, to winning the human sundae and naked reggae dance contest at the nude pool, to doing our special ‘thing’ to “The Boxer” in the Piano bar with a tambourine (thanks for bringing it J/B), to getting up on the main stage for the talent show dancing to “Baby got Back” with absolutely NO plan (stage fright), to dirty dancing with many in the disco, to long talks at the nude pool, to the always fun naughty gift exchange to participating in the pimp/ho contest with my lovely Ho (who was a male adoptee.. I was the pimp), to long conversations over dinner with new friends … it was the best, best time I could ever imagine. There are so many more incredible memories, but that would make this report even more of a novel.

As many say, the people make Hedo special. The members of AWOL are truly those people! I also had a great time with my friends from the previous week and all the incredible people we adopted throughout the vacation (next year is going to be big). I honestly have tried to put into words to Doug and a few of my friends and family the magic of this group, and really could not do it justice. Therefore, I cannot genuinely put it in black and white in this report. You AWOLers know what I am talking about! If I even tried to mention all the fantastic people who made this vacation so very special, the next paragraph would be a big sea of initials, so I am not going to even try. You know who you are! I will throw out a special thank you for those of you who had my back all week with my man not being there, including my wonderful and patient neighbors. THANK YOU! I already miss my AWOL family, and know I will be dealing with an almost year long case of DIF (dreaded island fever). I cannot wait for Another Week of Lunacy 2009! Till next year (hopefully some before next year), my dear friends……………………… AWOL AWOL AWOL AWOL! (chanting)

Gretchen AKA G-Spot AKA G

Thanks for the report G- I know that there are people who come here on a regular basis with questions about how a trip could be as a single- I am sure some of them will appreciate the time you took to post one. Nick (and the lovlely limping Kerry)
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Awesome trip report, Gretchen!
    We are so sad that we couldn't make it this year. Hopefully you got to play with the stand-in dolls for Mo & Moe that R/I brought. We look forward to being back on track next year with you guys!

Love,
    Mo & Moe

"Are You Feeling Hedo's Mojo Yet?"
    Hedonism II, April 21-28, 2012
    mo@hedomojo.com

Hi Mo/Moe,
    You were very very missed! I am so glad to hear you are going next year. I also hear you are leading your own group to H2 in the Spring! Good for you! I did get to play with the 'stand ins'.. I made you guys do all kinds of naughty things. I didn't think you would mind. It was funny, but not at all the same as having you hotties there with us. I can't wait to see you next year!

Love ya,
    Gretchen (G SPOT)

I heard about our stand ins and the naughty things everyone had us doing! Of course, we don't mind- we saw the pictures and laughed our booties off. We are leading a group to H2 in April. We're nervous, but excited at the same time. We definitely can't wait to see you next year! Keep in touch!!!

"Are You Feeling Hedo's Mojo Yet?"
    Hedonism II, April 21-28, 2012
    mo@hedomojo.com

Gretchen, Mindy and I have decided that it is an impossibility that there is anyone quite like you in the world. Your energy is unreal.

awww.. Zeb and Mindy.. reading that gave me goose bumps. Thank you. You guys are awesome!! I hope you enjoy the rookie of the year trophy I made. You totally deserved the honor.. sad you were not there to receive it in person. I can't wait to see you both next year!

G Spot

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    Gretchen..... Your energy is unreal.
    Now that is an understatement...if she could bottle and sale that......

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Mo and Moe,

You guys are going to be great hosts with Mojo! I WISH I could go to JA twice.... I would so go with you in April! You are going to have a blast with your group. I cannot wait to see you guys in about 11 short months.

G Spot

Blog Entries
    Great trip report Gretchen - we were so glad you came a couple days early.

www.cocktailsintl.com

Drink up the Guilty Pleasures

Hey Gretchen,
    I am in Atlanta also. I wanted to know about your upgrade from coach to first class. I have flown both AirJamaica and Delta. I think I like AirJam better. Anyway ho early did you get to the gate in order to upgrade? Is is mandatory to get there early or will they let you upgrade, regardless of what time you get there, as long as there are first class seats available. And lastly, how much did it cost for upgrade?

Sorry so many questions, but I had been wondering about this, for my next (of many) trips back to Jam!!!

P.S. Somebody please tell me what DIF means--->> this smiley Thanks!
    "I'M the (wo)man 'round here CAPICHE?!?!"

In a Caribbean state of mind.... Engaged in Chocolate Fantasies July 08'...

Thumbs up

P.S. Somebody please tell me what DIF means--->> this smiley Thanks!
    means Dreaded Island Fever....its a horrible horrible feeling that most people get immediately upon getting on the bus to depart Hedo, some folks have even been known to get it when they get their eviction notice. There is no cure. You can get temporary relief by continued visits...good luck and remember...

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by weliveinvegas View Post
    means Dreaded Island Fever....its a horrible horrible feeling that most people get immediately upon getting on the bus to depart Hedo, some folks have even been known to get it when they get their eviction notice. There is no cure. You can get temporary relief by continued visits...good luck and remember...

Ivy and Rick

Oh wow... thanks for telling me, now I have a diagnosis for what I have been feeling since I left Hedo in January!!!!
    "I'M the (wo)man 'round here CAPICHE?!?!"

In a Caribbean state of mind.... Engaged in Chocolate Fantasies July 08'...

Hi The Ish,

As for the upgrade, in both cases, I got the very last first class seat, so the reason you must go early is simply to get an available seat. It cost 150.00 each way to upgrade which is much less expensive than booking a 1st class ticket. However, you run the risk of it being full if you wait. You must ask for the upgrade when you check in and check your baggage.. not at the gate. Good luck.. I have asked 2 trips before this one, and it was always full. It does help to be traveling alone since many times there is only one seat available from what i have seen.

Good luck!!!

Hedo rocks and DIF sucks... I see my buddy Rick already answered the question. It is a very real disease that is only soothed when at Hedo.

Cheers
    Gretchen

To add to G's explanation of the upgrade- we attempted on the way over to do so and were told we would have to pay the full amount of the first class fare difference from our regular coach fare (about 550 pp). We were a bit put off, given that in our experience their first class- or business class as they more appropriately call it now- is not even on par with what other airlines have always considered business class. Fact is, if AJ was not the only airline to fly direct from LAX (they do not fly out of San Diego at all) we would fly a different airline. Going on American out of LA makes it an 11 hour ordeal as opposed to 5.5 on AJ. This trip was the best so far though, in that 2 Ativan and 3 captain and cokes in the airport kept me asleep until about 1/2 hour out of MBJ.
    Unfortunately, we will be flying AJ again- it saves us almost 1/2 day at the resort.
    Cheers!
    Nick (and the dishy Kerry)
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook