Thread: 4th of July Weekend at Hedonism III

4th of July Weekend at Hedonism III

The 4th of July weekend was a “Sizzling Bang’ at Hedonism III. Even though I have been to the property several times, each trip gets better and better!

Arrival / Check-in: I usually take Air Jamaica or American nonstop out of South Florida into Montego Bay. This time, I flew Air Jamaica. There were weather delays on the departure day and a wonderful “1 hour” wait in immigration line in Montego Bay. Yes, I said 1 hour. So prepare yourself or pray that your flight is the only that has arrived when you get in line. Once I cleared immigrations, retrieved my luggage and customs, the Check-in at the SuperClubs lounge was a breeze. I grabbed a Rum & Coke from the Margaritaville stand before getting on the shuttle bus to the hotel. The ride from MBJ to H3 normally takes about 90 minutes (with possible stops at Grand Lido Braco, Starfish, and/or Breezes Runaway Bay), but our shuttle driver got us safely to the resort in about 50 minutes. It was almost 9pm when I arrived. However, once I stepped off the shuttle bus, I was checked into my room in less than 10 minutes, and was at the main bar within 30 minutes (after unpacking, showering and changing clothes)!!

Note on Return / MBJ Duty Free Stores: For some great duty free liquor prices, pick up a few bottle of Appleton at the Duty Free Jamaican Liquor store in MBJ. There are many new stores at the airport, and you can get some great liquor prices.

Room: I was booked a PoolView room (in the Quad). All of the rooms are the same except for the suites (which just have a larger sitting area). A room’s view is the only major difference in room categories. Views from some of the Oceanfront rooms are blocked by trees. If you want a quiet room, try book a GVN room in the Gardenview Building. However, my favorite room is a poolfront room (1st floor) in the Quad (clothing optional).

Restaurants / Food / Drinks: I like spicy food, and eat most things presented to me. If you are looking for McDonalds or Burger King, you might want to remind yourself that you are on a Caribbean Island. My favorite restaurants are the Jamaican one near the beach and the Japanese restaurant. I only wished the Jamaican restaurant would stay open for dinner. You can find Jamaican food everyday here. This includes Jerk Chicken, Jerk Pork, patties (these do run out fast), and CoCo Bread.

The Japanese restaurant (reservations needed) has a set menu, but the food is very good. You only select your main entree options: beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or a combination of these. Standards before the main entree are miso soup, tempera items, sushi, fried rice, and grilled veggies.

At Pastafari (reservations needed), you will find a healthy antipasto salad bar. Some items include grilled pineapple and Caesar salad fixings. The main entrees include: shrimp, scallops, lamb, steak, chicken, and salmon. It’s very nice to have dinner in this restaurant with new friends.
    The nude pool grill has great food thanks to Chef John. You can find chicken nachos, grilled tuna, salads, and hamburgers (just to name a few items).

In the main dining area, you will find freshly cut local fruits each day (grapefruit, papaya, mangos, melon). The omelet station is a must for fried eggs, egg white omelets, and your regular “fully loaded” omelet. You will find favorite Jamaican entrees at both breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the main dining area. Late night snacks are available from midnight to about 2 am. Grab a few jerk chicken wings and worry about the calories when you get back home!

Drinks: Monitor your consumption (LOL)!! Don’t mix liquors. Try night to drink before noon. Pick your favorite drink(s) and stick with them. Your favorite top shelf liquor may not be available, but there are too many other options to satisfy you.

Pools: Nude is small, but it can't expand. The Quad is a great pool. Very quiet, but there is one afternoon when the nude pool guests takeover the Quad pool area. This is lots of fun. Beach - don't come for the beach. It is small, but very tranquil. Obvious, the beach in Negril is better, and this is where Hedonism II is located.

People / Guests: Decide before you are leaving home if you are a nudist or swinger or just curious. If you are closed minded, don't like naked people, or open sex: go to another resort. Most guests are friendly. If you are going with your spouse or boyfriend or girlfriend before you leave home to ensure you are both on the same page of with each other (concerning sexual activity).

Entertainment / Staff: Ahh. . . Spike is no longer at Hedonism. However, there are still many great staff members. To name a few ECs (Entertainment Crew members): Nick, Patrick, David, Thrill, Sasha, and Mystery. Office Staff members who go out of their way include: Christine, LeeJay, Steven, and Michelle. I find that the majority of the staff members are extremely friendly and will have conversations with you.

The entertainment is fun when you participate. If you sit on the side, and criticize, you will not have fun. Dress in theme. Play pool volleyball. Go down the water slide. Listen to the resident band. They play great music each and every night, including Reggae. The bottom line is: “Let your hair down” and have a great time!!

Some notes for the 1st time Guest:
    1.Do your homework and know that you will see nudity by the pools.
    2.Know that you will see open “public displays of affection”.
    3.Know that guests at the resort include nudists and swingers.
    4.Guest ages range from 20 and higher. Guests come in all shapes & sizes
    5.Bring your own pool towels and you won’t have to worry about looking for any in the towel stands by the pools.
    6.Do check out the group calendar to know if any large groups will be on-site.
    7.Hedo III is not the Ritz-Carlton. So do not expect 5* service (even though there are staff members who provide this service) or Sandals room accommodations.
    8.Hedonism presents a different vibe from the Desire properties in Mexico. They can’t be compared.

Can you explain further how Hedo and Desire don't compare? We are thinking about going to Desire next March for our 30th anniversary.We have been to both Hedo's for the last 13 years.We are looking for as much info we can get. Thanks!

Thumbs up

aahhhhhhhhh....just what I needed with just a couple days and hours until we get home. Thanks for the resort update.

I jus wan go home mon!
    Ivy and Rick
    Hedo in 2 days...."once you go, you know"
    Last edited by weliveinvegas; 07-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Hi BigC,

I sent you a message with some of my opinions on the differences between the Hedo and Desire properties.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Angelica, loved your trip report, we were at Hedo also before and would like to try Desire in Cancun, can you please better expalin us the diferences?
    Thanks and best regards
    Otto & Nuby from Austria (but not Austrians, just living there) in love with Hedo.
    Hedo II July 2008
    Cap D´Age, France Sept 2008
    Desire Cancun Nov 2008
    Disneyworld, Fl. Dec 2008
    Hedo II ASAP in 2009

Personal Opinion on the differences between Hedo & Desire

The difference between the Hedo properties and the Desire properties is the party atmosphere, room accomodations and the grounds.

Are some of the room categories better at Desires? Yes, some of the suites. However, some of the rooms at Desires only have showers and bathtubs.

It is quiet at Desires, unless there is a takeover group onsite. The property is couples only and you will find none of the crazy & wild games as you do at Hedo. If you want a quiet, very romantic trip. . . , then you will like Desire.

The beach at Desire Riveria (Cancun) is nice with the beds (you have to get up very early to secure one).

The food was ok at Desire, but I found I liked the food better at Hedo.

Service: The varies per person. I found the service much better at Hedo than Desire.

So the bottom line: try Desire. It depends on what you like to do and not do at Hedo. So people say that they would never go back to Hedo. For me, I would go again with a large group of people (takeover).