Thread: Burning Man

Registered User Parracky Parrot's Avatar

Burning Man

The Burning Man (Nevada) starts in a few weeks.
    How many hedonites have been/will be going ? What are your impressions?

Great - looks like a have met another burner on this site. I too am a burner & as luck would have from Vancouver as well.

Hey Parrot! I haven't been but our fellow ButtCracker Marcel from LA goes and I've been enjoying his photos of the event over the past week (over 100 of them). I'd love to go someday.

See you soon!

Wow! I saw all the beautiful dusty cars and art trailers on I-80 headed on the way home to the Bay Area on Labor Day and decided that I'm going to Burning Man in 2009.

I'll be at Hedo II 4/18-4/25 2009, when the Buttcrackers will be there and will find you Anita to say hello and find this Marcel fellow.

Parracky, let's keep in touch. Were you thinking about going in '09?

Blog Entries
    We. Are going to Burningman 2013. Any one else?
    Ottawa couple. Hedo 20-28 Dec 2015 and BURNINGMAN 2016
    3x H3Vets. 5x H2 with Flufs 3x couples cruises, 3x Desires MR and Pearl.
    Would love to connect before the trip with any one there at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawacpl1 View Post
    We. Are going to Burningman 2013. Any one else?
    I have always wanted to go.
    Have a crazy time!

Cheers,
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

On our bucket list.

Anybody going to Burning Man 2015?

Hasn't it become very commercialized and a "place to be"? We've heard that it's not as cool and organic as it was a few years ago.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

We've been attending since 2003, except for 3 years (2009, 2010, and 2011) when we became disillusioned with its immature college rave atmosphere that came with its rapid growth. However, we returned in 2012 and it didn't seem as bad as our visit in 2008. We've been having a good time there since. One thing we did stop doing starting in 2012 was staying for the burn of the man on Saturday night. The huge mass of people surrounding the man with a large number of them being disrespectful to others was just too much to handle, as was the mass exodus on Sunday after the burn. So we just leave on Saturday along with just a few hundred others who have the same idea. This has greatly improved our time at Burning Man. And, really, once you see the man burn once, you've seen it all. No reason to keep seeing it time after time unless you want to join the college rave scene.

This year, the demand for tickets has reached the level of ridiculous, with scalpers spoiling the event. For the first time since 2003, we were unable to buy tickets, so we are now among the unlucky ones having to deal with the secondary market.

Overall, Burning Man is what you make of it, and it is relatively easy to have a good time despite the commercialization and growing number of rules for an event that started out as a counter-culture happening.

Glad you enjoy it. We like to hit the east coast festivals. Gathering of the Vibes in CT on the Long Island Sounds is really nice and 45 minutes from our casa. We camp out for the weekend and it's so close that if didn't love it, we could slip home quick! That said, we've never been even close to leaving early. Thunderstorms, heat waves...all makes for the party and awesome music and people. We're tempted by the concert festival held next to Hedo in January at the Grand Lido. One day...
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

Have you or anyone you know ever gone to Ibiza? Was wondering what that was like. We've listened to EDM compilations from Ibiza that have a bit of Burning Man "sound" to them. Our greatest experiences at BM were in the earlier years we attended. The music was almost purely EDM and the art work seemed to be better as well (although maybe our expectations have grown).....just looking for ways to experience that awesome first time at BM.

Hello ottawacpl1. Just saw in your profile that you plan on attending Burning Man 2015. We are looking to join up somewhere on the playa with like-minded folks and have contacted another couple on another website to find out what plans are being made. We live in the Reno area and plan on bringing a pickup truck towing an RV-toyhauler. We also have a tensegrity shade structure. All of this takes up a bit of space, so this will take some planning if we are to hook up with others in a designated spot out there. Mrs Bigtasty actually lives in the Toronto area and is making a move to Reno this summer (finally got her visa!). Would like to hear from you about what you had in mind.

Blog Entries
    Just a wannabe burner from Calgary. ��