Thread: bumped reservation

bumped reservation

I've got a question. I've noticed a few posts on this website, and others, where folks got to Hedo with itineraries and receipts, only to be told they had no room and were then carted off to another superclub resort of the hotels choice. Does that infact happen? anyone have such an experience?. I've heard that booking at times when a group isnt gonna be there helps lower your odds, as does booking thru a large travel service. I wound up booking thru Priceline.com due to price, and their attimate it doesnt happen. Needless to say it would suck being dumped off at the starfish trelawny with 1 pair of shorts and a toga for the week.

It does in fact happen. I know people who have been bumped to different room categories, and to different resorts. Just like any hotel they occasionally overbook. It really depends on what time of year you are going and how full the resort is when you arrive at the resort.
    Quite often if you are going to be bumped you are notified at the superclubs desk. Do not accept this- get your bags and go immediately to the curb. Arrange for a shuttle- at your own cost of course- and go directly to the resort. They are much more reluctant to try to move you elsewhere if you are there in person.
    The only way I know of to assure you are not bumped is to book with a group that has a no bump guarantee. It is part of the contract that the hosts set up with the resort. Other people will be bumped, while the members of that group are safe from that.
    From what I have been told, people who book through superclubs or wholesalers like priceline stand to be first in line to get moved. Sorry!
    Nick (and the luscious Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Registered User phillycouple621's Avatar
    What time of year would you say could be bumpworthy or overbooked?? Is they a good way to tell how booked the resort is? Obviously looking at the calendars on this site and/or dennyp give some idea, but how do I know if x amount is a lot or a little? Thanks.

While not scientific by any means, groups who advertise "takeovers" tend to be the largest. Certain months, January and November in particular, seem to be very busy, and so I would presume have higher bump rates.

We've been going in June for 6 years, and only one time was anyone bumped. There was a late-comer "takeover" group that the resort made room for. Those people were bumped to H3. Now, since there will soon be no more H3, I don't know where they'd bump you to.

We've also heard some folks are bumped to (what used to be) Grand Lido, directly next door to H2. They were given free ability to come and go to H2 as they pleased, but their room was next door. Typically this was only for part of their stay.

Bumping certainly sounds scary, and in truth, there is no such thing as a "no bump guarantee" even for those groups that provide it. The resort will go out of their way to try and not bump a group like that, but if there's a building without water, they may be short on rooms even for that group.

From talking to several TA's over the years, bumping is a VERY infrequent event. I forget who told me, and I don't know the accuracy, but a few years back I remember being told they bump approximately 100 room nights a year. Contrast that to H2's capacity of 102,200 room nights per year.
    H2 Trip #10: June 14-30, 2014

As Nick pointed out, it does and has happened, Hedo 3, end of July, first week of August, we have seen more than a few folks walked.

As the Colonel says, the bumping is not a "whole trip" kinda thing, more likely a couple nights.

As for where you are bumped to, I think for the most part folks were bumped to Grand Lido Braco, now known as Rio Boner..Bueno..whatever..or to Breezes Runaway Bay. They were given free access to Hedo 3 until they were relocated there.

Hey Colonel, with the consolidation of the resorts, do you think those numbers will change???

And as an aside..as a Contract Host..the first time a member of our group gets walked, it will be the last time...we make that promise to our guests based on that being in our contract, if they did not honor that, we would quit hosting, they make the guarantee..you only have your word one time..after that you are just a liar...

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"
    Last edited by weliveinvegas; 05-15-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

We booked for the first weekend in June, having been warned that Hedo II was already overbooked the second weekend (when there are a couple of groups booked in).

I believe some groups make a temp block booking, hoping to sell all their block, Sometimes these blocks are removed. Sometimes guests get a room next door. We book as a package (air & hotel) so any bumping goes back on the operator who must compensate us or change our booking. It's always worked for us (so far).

A group booking might be the answer, but there's never an iron clad guarantee. And threats of 'our lawyer etc. etc.' carry no weight in Jamaica (and why should they!)

I think a week at Starfish with a toga and wet T-shirt might liven the place up.

PNK

end of august, september and october (hurricane season) lowest. also several weeks throughout march april and may tend to be the lower occupancy dates. (we went in sept and occupancy was so low we got bummped UP -pool front nude)

Over the years we've known people to get bumped in November (anniversary week) over to what was then GLN. Of course this was kind of a bump up since it was nicer over there, had room service and you got free nights for H2 and sometimes money back as well. But of course, that was then.....who knows about now. You could walk to/from easily (they are right across the street), but really....I would rather have my room at H2 for convenience sake if nothing else. Of course though I'm sure friends would give us a key to borrow theirs...but still.

If you do get bumped, be sure it is across the street to whatever the hell they're calling the old GLN. Be sure to get vouchers before you leave the resort for free return nights. And be sure to try for an upgraded room when they do bring you back to H2.

That being said, it's been about 4 years or so (since b4 the economic decline) since I've heard of anyone getting bumped at any time of year, including takeover.

On the flip side, as someone else mentioned, when it is slow you can often get bumped up into a nicer category of room (nude ocean view for example from prude garden). I'd love to say you could get bumped to jacuzzi nude ocean, but I've never heard of such a thing.

I honestly do not believe they would send you anywhere other than someplace in Negril .. of which there are a few SC properties.
    Liz & Chris

our 1st trip to H2 was right after a hurricane hit 3 years ago. The resort was pretty deas and we got placed in a nude ocean view from a ROH (RUN of The House) package. Meaning you pay less but they put you were ever they want. We assumed GVP.
    Last year at H3 in April We returned to our room to find a paper placed under the door offering to let us go to Grand lido for the remainder of our stay, and we would get vouchers for return nights for every night we gave up.
    So they do at least try to bump the willing so*the new arrivals have a room.

We have not had the misfortune of being bumped...it can not be a pleasant experience to arrive at Montego Bay and be told you are being bumped to Starfish...especially when it is being done as a joke....NOT FUNNY...is it Moe???

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA I totally forgot about that... man I wish there was a video camera inthe superclubs lounge to get that... so awesome.
    Nick (and the sultry Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by NickandKitty View Post
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA I totally forgot about that... man I wish there was a video camera inthe superclubs lounge to get that... so awesome.
    Nick (and the sultry Kitty)tm
    I am afraid that that will just be one of those things that will have to be passed down to generation to generation by word of mouth...lol..

Ivy and Rick

Ivy and Rick
    www.awoltravelgroup.com