Thread: Tipping

Tipping

What do you do about tipping? It will feel strange not tipping. What can I give?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseycouple View Post
    What do you do about tipping? It will feel strange not tipping. What can I give?
    I understand that if the staff accepts tips they can/will get fired. Don't do it, or be very descret.

The reason the Canadians are so beloved at Hedo is that they do tip, and do so discretely.

It's not like a standard bar were you might tip for each drink. Instead there are two philosophies. One is find your favorite folks early and tip them a decent amount early so they take extra good care of you for your stay. The other is wait until the end of your stay and make the rounds tipping your favorite folks.

Again all of this is very discrete, like in a handshake with a bartender, or under a plate handed to the omelet lady. Even if you choose not to tip the food service folks, expect to burn in Hell if you don't tip the ladies who clean your room everyday.
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseycouple View Post

I visited Dominican Republic last year and left a lotion, shower gel set for the maid and I also left some jewelry.

I will do something similar this year at H3 in 7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweetheart 27

November 3-9th 2007 - 1st Trip - H3
    June 18-22nd 2008 - Starfish Trelawny
    June 3-7th - H3

So what is considered a generous amount? I have no idea what there money is compared to ours.

I think all transactions are made with US dollars.

I tip the baggage guys a couple of bucks, my favorite bartenders get $5 each at the end of the trip, and $20 for the lady who cleans my room. Not sure if this is considered generous but the staff seems to appreciate the thought.

I recommend bringing about $20 in singles to cover everyone, including the baggage guys at the airport and the van driver.

The staff also enjoy ball caps and t-shirts with sports logos on them!
    critter2
    Delroy's,last trip was Nov.22nd-26th 2013 and then Cliffside Nov.27th-Dec.2nd. Next trip Nov.21-22nd White Sands,Nov23rd-30th Delroys!!
    Bill N Donna