Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we go or stay

Do we go or stay

We are schedule to Leave Aug 18th, Both our vacation time canNOT be changed. Should we go and try to ride the storm or complete changed and take a chance at loosing all that we invested.

Don't go!! A Cat 4/5 directly over the island this weekend???!!! Wouldn't you rather spend that time together in a place where you won't be stranded rather than spend precious, non-changable vacation time in a place that is about to be hit pretty badly? Suck up the loss on the airfare; talk to Hedo about recouping the loss on the resort due to Mother Nature. I wouldn't risk a plane crash, island devastation, etc....

Hard question. We went just before a hurricane was to hit and left just in time. from the air you could see the wall cloud. it was cool. lucky for our friends it didnt hit the island direct. I would say if you go be prepared to stay a few extra days and have a credit card handy to pay for those days. I have heard quite a few have weathered out a hurricane at the resorts and they try to help you out but dont expect perfect accomodations. 3rd world country thing...
    Shell and Dougiestyle.
    need more now! Next trip I'm going to have sex Im going to have it often and more of it.. really I am. Man do I have

go or stay

Not worried about the getting money back, resort already posted that trips will be extended or vouchers will be given. Have seen post that resort is well prepared for storms, just the time away from 2 business took 4 months planning and not sure if can get time away again. This is first vacation in 5 years after starting business.

Easy answer: cancel! A vacation is not worth risking life and limb. This storm is going to make a DIRECT HIT on Jamaica, according to the latest models, as a Category 4, maybe Category 5 storm. There is no point in trying to go - if the airlines will even fly you down there. The island's infrastructure is not capable of handling a storm of that magnitude and you should be prepared to spend days with little food, no electricity and no way of returning home.

Quote Originally Posted by turbine99 View Post
    Not worried about the getting money back, resort already posted that trips will be extended or vouchers will be given. Have seen post that resort is well prepared for storms, just the time away from 2 business took 4 months planning and not sure if can get time away again. This is first vacation in 5 years after starting business.
    Check out weather underground online...as of a few minutes ago, Dean is measured to have 937 barometric pressure and lowering (900 or less a hurricane is an unstoppable machine). Dean is also measured to have 180mph winds. Ever stuck your head out of a car on the highway doing 60mph? Multiply that by 3!! While the resort may be prepared for some storms, Jamaica has not had a Cat 5 hurricane is a VERY LONG TIME. People on this forum talk about Ivan, but Hurricane Ivan was only a Cat 4 that DID NOT hit head-on. Dean is predicted to hit head-on which equates into DOUBLE the damage.

If I were you, and anyone else traveling tomorrow, I would stay home. Enjoy the vacation relaxing at home. You can still have sex at home...do webcam or join adultfriendfinder.com!

Exactly right. This storm is better compared to Andrew or Katrina than Ivan or Dennis. It's taking a path very similar to Gilbert in the 1980s which killed dozens in Jamaica and caused billions of dollars in damage. The eye is projected to travel directly over the island, which with the counterclockwise nature of the circulation could lead to significant storm surge and damage along the north coast.
    I pray that this is not the case, but I fear that many Hedo III vacations and much more importantly lives will be disrupted for many days and potentially weeks to come because of this storm.

Speaking of lives that will be lost/disrupted...isn't it selfish to travel there now? I mean, by going down there the Jamaicans will have to shuttle you to and fro and make sure you, the tourist, are fine. If you were in their position, wouldn't you rather be home with your family instead of with customers?? Food for thought...

Don't go...

We were scheduled to go Sunday..... and when I called earlier today, they wouldn't even acknowledge there was a storm! Come on down mon'. I am ALL about the Jamaican way, but I was a little put out. I talked to them about switching dates and they said no way. Then since we have trip insurance, I said... well we will cancel, and rebook. They said that would be fine, but we can't schedule before August 25th, "because there is a really big storm coming". Anyway.. we are now booked to leave the 22nd. I hope, I hope...

Greg and Les

To most people, this question would be a no brainer, but Hedo people look forward to their trips so much that they dont want anybody or anything to get into their way. We were in the same position in Sept 04. We postponed.

When you hear one person say that they had a good vacation during Hurricane Ivan, you may want to ask yourself: "are we going to Hedo to have Hedo fun or are we going there to be evacuated to Pastafari with everyone else in the place and boarded up windows?" Its possible that they had a good time, considering the conditions, but I doubt that is what you are looking for.

Hedo is still in Jamaica and they are a 3rd world country. They do not have the resources and preparedness we have here in USA. When you drive the bus ride from MoBay to Hedo, does Jamaica look like a country that is ready to handle a hurricane?

If you go, good luck. But I think I speak for the majority, when I say..."ARE YOU CRAZYYYY???"

JnB

PS I will say a prayer for our friends in Jamaica.
    Last edited by JnBluvhedo3; 08-18-2007 at 04:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    The latest model I saw shows Dean's eye passing slightly south. That will reduce the punch to terrible, but not much better. It will be hard to justify being there at this time. I don't think the lack of power, phone, water and general good spirit will make it worth going. The resort will almost certainly make arrangements to credit your days with vouchers. They will not want you to have a sour experience, as it would likely cause you to never return. You will probably have a maximum $1,000 loss in airline ticket money. In the scheme of things, $1,000 lost is nothing compared to the "enjoyment loss" you would experience if you go. Take your loss, visit another time and get the real Hedo when you do. Extreme situations call for extreme adjustments.

You may even receive a voucher for your ailine tickets, if they CAN'T fly you there because of the hurricane. As long as you say you still want to go, if they can't fly you, they may credit you for another time. Don't know. I am not a veteran flyer.

The real issue here is the damage the country is about to receive, not the loss of a few days of dirty bananas. All with faith, please say a prayer for the people of Jamaica. They are not as prepared for a tradgedy of this sort as we are.

They are however, a more resiliant people than we and should fare well in the after math. This event makes "taking items of aid projects" more important than ever, for those who will be going in the weeks and months after Dean passes through. Please keep thta in mind as you pack for your trips...

Is your glass "half full," or "half empty"... At Hedo, who cares... go ahead and fill it up every time you're near the bar...

Here is the website I usually use to track hurricanes:

http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/

It has a tracking map that shows all the current models used to predict path. It can be found here:

http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/modelmap1.html

I like the orange path!

J, those areas just north or east of a hurricane eye most often fare the worst. That's where hurricane winds are strongest. So the most widely used hurricane forecast path has the eye just south of the north coast. Not good.

And to answer the OP, you really don't want to be on the north coast of Jamaica on Sunday.

DO NOT GO. I can't stress this any more loudly or more emphatically. If you are on the island and reading this, GET THE HELL OUT! New Orleans was virtually wiped off the map and that storm was a cat 3. Cities in Florida were wiped out, literally down to dirt when Andrew blew through. There is absolutely no way Jamaica is going to be able to withstand this onslaught. I know we try to keep personal information down to a minimum but I have some very sad experience working the aftermath of storms like this here in the US and Jamaica is a third world country to all intents and purposes. For anyone planning to go at this time, please, PLEASE reconsider. This is a risk you do NOT want to undertake. Hedo may be a really great place, but your vacation is NEVER, EVER worth your life.

For those of you who remain on the island, I will keep you in my prayers.
    IslandGirl
    MY credo: Warm sand+blue water= lovin' life

I myself would not go.. Listening to the news today they said Jamaica hasn't had a hurricane like this since the 80's... IM praying for everyone who has traveled there before the storm and who are there. Im also praying for all the wonderful staff memebers at hedo that has turned into friends its just hurts my heart that nothing can be done to divert the Hurricane but it's mother nature!!

Exactly. There's always a chance that the storm veers off course, but every National Hurricane Center forecast for the last few days has predicted a direct hit.
    If you're not prepared to bring significant amounts of cash, food, and water, not to mention a satellite phone for communications and a weapon for self-defense, you should not be going anywhere near Jamaica right now.
    The resort staff will have all it can handle trying to secure the property, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if remaining guests are transported to a shelter on higher ground at some point. I'm sure they will do their best, but remember they have families to worry about and it's understandable that that would be their first priority.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast