Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is America Ready . . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by jwell100 View Post
    Bingo - I 100% agree. But, if everyone has their own God, isn't this contrary to the one all powerful God that created the earth and humans and who may send you to rot in hell if you don't believe?
    Well by definition we have already reached that point.

Let's simplify this GREATLY. Assuming we have 3 major religions, judism, christianity, and muslim (yes there are others daoism, budhism, but their general belief structure doesn't really factor here).

Each in and of it's own has the basic principle of "believe in our god, or you go to hell". So, (again, REALLY simple) since you cannot belong to more than one religion, by definition of the other 2 religions, you will go to hell. Assuming there is only 1 correct religion, and we now have a 1 in 3 chance of being right, it is safe to say that 2/3 of the population will go to hell. BUT, let us take into account that religion is also based solely on the individual, since religion cannot be created BY the entity that is to be worshiped, it must be created by those doing the worshiping. What is to say they got it right creating the religion, even though it may be based on the "1 true religion" They play a major factor in the aspect of which religion is the "1 true religion." So now we can safely say that all people will go to hell. Just in the aspect of the formation of the basis of the religion.

To me, the concept of heaven and hell is not an extostential plane to be sought beyond the corporeal life, but to be experiecend here while we live and breath. Heaven being the smile on your face when you wake up next to your lovely wife, hell being the pain you endure when your child skins their knee learning to ride a bike. For true existance, there must be a balance, a good and an evil. A negative and a positive.

Ok enough babbling for now. I need a beer.
    If you never take the chance to be wrong, you never have the opportunity to be right.

http://www.darksidev2.com/hedo...Days of the DAMNED !!!!

Blog Entries
    Where's my dictionary??? (lol)... I KNEW you guys would go above my head.

Boobs anyone?

Is your glass "half full," or "half empty"... At Hedo, who cares... go ahead and fill it up every time you're near the bar...

Boobs? where boobs?
    If you never take the chance to be wrong, you never have the opportunity to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by JAnewbies View Post
    Where's my dictionary??? (lol)... I KNEW you guys would go above my head.

Boobs anyone?
    You are not going Jim on me are you?

yes, yes he is. I have converted him to the dark side. haha
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

Ok, if I remember right, someone mentioned boobs, and I have not seen one boob yet....lol

Oh Darkside? welcome to my lair. How may I help you....lol

The Midwest Bible Belt of Western Michigan
    I just HAVE to poke my head in this conversation.

I am a very liberal, Christian democrat living in a very conservative Christian republican part of the midwest. I don't get to talk about this stuff very often around here because no matter how wonderful my neighbors are, they just don't want to even consider that there may be another way of doing things.

I was raised a Christian. I grew up in a Christian church, so were my parents, so were their parents, so were their parents....

But I have always had trouble swallowing the conservative protestant line as whole cloth.

The God I believe in wouldn't condemn 2/3 (probably more) of the world's population just because they don't believe exactly the same things the guy sitting next to me in the pew on Sunday believes.

The God I believe in understands that we humans really aren't that smart. He believes that we make mistakes. He believes that because we all grow up in different environments, with different experiences, we may see Him (or, more likely HER) in different ways. I think God comes to us in a form that each of us can accept.

Honestly, I believe that Christians, Muslims, Buddists, etc. are all probably worshipping the same God. Perhaps a God created by man or perhaps a God that created man.

The one thing I know for sure is that I don't know much. There was a great "Barney Miller" episode where they were discussing religion and Wojo asked Dietrich (who had already declared he was an atheist) what Dietrich would do if after he died, he arrived in heaven and God asked him why Dietrich had dened his existence. Dietrich's reply to God: Whoops!

I think God recognizes our ignorance and is willing to put up with it as long as we do the best we can with what we've got.

As far as politics goes, I would love to see this country vote based on ideas and ideals rather than race, religion, sex or how well the candidate photographs. But I am not sure the electorate is ready to do that yet.

As I said in the beginning of this LONG post, I am a liberal democrat. My liberalism comes from my Christian upbringing. I am always willing to teach a man to fish...

Enough.

N8

Later on I would like to expand the topics at hand to include procrastination.
    Doc
    Inactive profile. Messages and emails will not be answered.

OK people, lets face facts. We are all going to hell in a hand basket just like the rest of the world.

Really, I think that people who believe that their interpretation of god or the words of god is the only one are the biggest nuts around. There was no English language when the bible, Koran, etc. were written. They have all been written, and rewritten by a man who gave his interpretation. What does that tell you? It is all about man.

AND HELL NO I WON'T VOTE FOR OPRAH!!!!

I would have voted for Forbes if he had made it past the primary. He had some great ideas about a flat tax, not much to the IRS, and actually balancing the budget. Good ideas to me.

Kristy
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7-28-8/4 2012 H2

The Midwest Bible Belt of Western Michigan

Handbaskets on Sale!!!

I heard that they have handbaskets on sale at the giftshop at Hedo!

Very Well Stated

Quote Originally Posted by hedon8 View Post
    I just HAVE to poke my head in this conversation.

I am a very liberal, Christian democrat living in a very conservative Christian republican part of the midwest. I don't get to talk about this stuff very often around here because no matter how wonderful my neighbors are, they just don't want to even consider that there may be another way of doing things.

I was raised a Christian. I grew up in a Christian church, so were my parents, so were their parents, so were their parents....

But I have always had trouble swallowing the conservative protestant line as whole cloth.

The God I believe in wouldn't condemn 2/3 (probably more) of the world's population just because they don't believe exactly the same things the guy sitting next to me in the pew on Sunday believes.

The God I believe in understands that we humans really aren't that smart. He believes that we make mistakes. He believes that because we all grow up in different environments, with different experiences, we may see Him (or, more likely HER) in different ways. I think God comes to us in a form that each of us can accept.

Honestly, I believe that Christians, Muslims, Buddists, etc. are all probably worshipping the same God. Perhaps a God created by man or perhaps a God that created man.

The one thing I know for sure is that I don't know much. There was a great "Barney Miller" episode where they were discussing religion and Wojo asked Dietrich (who had already declared he was an atheist) what Dietrich would do if after he died, he arrived in heaven and God asked him why Dietrich had dened his existence. Dietrich's reply to God: Whoops!

I think God recognizes our ignorance and is willing to put up with it as long as we do the best we can with what we've got.

As far as politics goes, I would love to see this country vote based on ideas and ideals rather than race, religion, sex or how well the candidate photographs. But I am not sure the electorate is ready to do that yet.

As I said in the beginning of this LONG post, I am a liberal democrat. My liberalism comes from my Christian upbringing. I am always willing to teach a man to fish...

Enough.

N8

Hedon8, that was very well stated.....I must say that I will not vote for Oprah either. Its sad that the government spends so much money on wars and can not fight the war on our own soil...which is the war of racism, poverty etc...I agree that we should elect a president to run this country based on their agendas, ideas, knowledge, and their political history. Do I ythink Hilary will do a good job running this county.....I think she will do a much better job then Bush...Do I think Obama will do a good job running this country...again I think he will do a much better job then Bush. I am a black woman, however i will not vote for someone just because they are black or a woman.

As far as God is concern...I believe (and no one will ever be able to change my views) that God is real and that Jesus is real. I also believe in the Holy Bible from Genesis to Revelations. I also believe in Heaven and Hell. I also believe in the Holy Spirit. But whats more important is I will never push my beliefs on anyone. I will tell someone about Jesus but never attempt to force someone to believe what I believe. Its all about the personal relationship that a person has with God(if they believe).

I tried Jesus for myself and Im glad. I tried praying and it works for me. I attempt to live my life according to the Bible and again it works. I know I am not perfect and I do make many mistakes but as Hedon8 put it God knows and he is so merciful. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and should be respected for what they believe in regardeless if they are atheist, Christians, Muslims etc....

As far as 2/3rd of the world going to hell....I dont think it would be that many. LOL...Again this is my beliefs.....God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whosoever believe in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.

Someone spoke about having faith...I agree with that 110%. Faith is key to living a good life. I also agree what someone put about if we would live our life according to the Bible that this world would be a better place.

Lastly, the Bible was created so we will not go to hell. Again these are my beliefs.

Damn you Jwell all to Hell for starting this thread
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7-28-8/4 2012 H2

Blog Entries
    LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

Thyck... You know I love you babee, but you stumbled on a sensitive spot of mine. The reason we have poverty, is so that SOME can be rich. America is everybody for themselves. There is no team in "I" and America is about #1. Communism evens the playing field for all who want that. America is about "winning." If all kids in the three legged race got a blue ribbon, nobody would try. America is about trying. There is also luck involved, but the vast amount of "new money" made in America was from good old fashioned trying harder than the next guy. I have been broke to the point I couldn't by food. I have also been fortunate enough to fill the cart with Lobster. I have been BOTH. I am not speaking from inexperience, or one-sidedness...

The reason we have racism, is because it has been around since time began.

As far as racism, it has so many forms. The Sigma Chi's don't like the Kappa Sig's, because they are in a different group. The poor don't like the rich, because they are in a different group. Hitler hated Jews, because they were in a different group.

ANY TIME there are differences, there will be racism. Almost every race on this planet, has been the victim of racism. I fact ALL have.

When I watch TV and hear some people say they are not racist... I laugh. Racist simply means (to me anyway) that you look at something differently with negativity, to any degree, no matter how small.

There is racism with emotion and in the heart. There is racism in action and words. If anybody on this forum claims they have no level of racism, keep it to yourself, cause we have enough BS in the world without it being added here.

I disagree with all forms of racism. I believe that we SHOULD NOT look at others differently as the Bible teaches us we should not, but to believe that it will ever happen is crazy. No government could ever accomplish that.

We learn racism as childeren. We learn that if we are on the red team, then we are against the green team. If we are seniors in high school, then we don't hang out with the freshman. If 2 captains are picking basketball teams on a playground, they choose the tall kids first and the short kids last. When we date, the good looking kids go out with the good looking kids and the ugly kids with the ugly kids.

Before puberty and sexual desires hit us, we learn that boys don't like girls. We start racism at an early age and it can not be eliminated from our souls.

Now, what we CAN do, is work daily towards tolerance. It's a concious effort that we must make.

I am headed to my bomb shelter now. I assume everyone is loading there missles. Because I am sure somebody feels racist against me now.

Again Thyck, this was not directed at, or anywhere near you. I took statements you meant in a totally different way and used the words to make a different point.

PS. As J&K said... THANKS JWELL (lol)...
    Last edited by JAnewbies; 07-26-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Is your glass "half full," or "half empty"... At Hedo, who cares... go ahead and fill it up every time you're near the bar...

Quote Originally Posted by jimandkristy View Post
    Really, I think that people who believe that their interpretation of god or the words of god is the only one are the biggest nuts around. There was no English language when the bible, Koran, etc. were written. They have all been written, and rewritten by a man who gave his interpretation. What does that tell you? It is all about man.
    Despite being the folks most against this type of thread, you really nailed this one.

1) Every religious text was written by humans (primarily men). None were written by God or the man we mistakenly call Jesus (more on that later).

2) I'll just focus on the Christian Bible, here. The Bible wasn't written by one person or group. It's an anthology of writings collected over probably one thousand years. Depending on the political winds of the time, different works were added or removed all the time.

For those of you who believe that the world would be a better place if we all lived according to Bible, which version are you talking about? Also have you read the version you're so happy with cover to cover? Or have you read it selectively the way most people do? Have you read any of the texts that Pope "Who's on First" pulled out in 1362 AD? Do you wonder why Pope "What's on Second" decide to turn a local disciple like Mary Magdalene into a prostitute in 987 AD?

Have you ever wondered why many of the major points of the Bible are found in much earlier religions? Virgin birth of messiah? The flood? The entire Moses story? Raising from the dead? etc. etc.

3) There are many different versions and translations of the Bible, some which greatly contradict others. Which one is right? Even if you take the King James Bible as your standard, you'll find that it's a very bad translation the texts from which it came.

I know an extremely religious, extremely liberal, PURE lesbian woman who learned both Greek and Hebrew so that she could read older and more "accurate" versions of the Bible. I actually know several people who have done this, but she was the most passionate about it.

Many of the folks I know who have converted to Islam, learn Arabic for the same reason because English translations of the Koran are so horrible.

Finally, it is well documented that even the name Jesus is a mistranslation. What is the true name of the man we call Jesus? And if you truly believe in him please start calling him by his real name, and have the strength of faith to pass that on to others.

And go learn some Greek.

Speaking of Greek. I'm thinking about starting an Anal Sex thread. Any takers?
    Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

Blog Entries
    After this thread... I would love to talk about Anal Sex... It would be much more relaxing...

I can't believe you people have not uttered as much as a word about my post...

Am I losing my touch?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast