Thread: A very real concern. Need advice.

A very real concern. Need advice.

With the new Canadian travel restrictions, now requiring a negative Covid test procured no less than 72 hours prior to boarding a flight back to Canada...

I have made several attempts.pts online to find, where near Hedo2 a covid test could be done.
    But to no avail. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack the second you type "Covid" into any seach engine.

Where do we obtain covid tests in Jamaica?????

Hopefully this crap rule will be abandoned long before April.

Negative tests and 14 day quarentine....

Quote Originally Posted by JandE View Post
    With the new Canadian travel restrictions, now requiring a negative Covid test procured no less than 72 hours prior to boarding a flight back to Canada...

I have made several attempts.pts online to find, where near Hedo2 a covid test could be done.
    But to no avail. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack the second you type "Covid" into any seach engine.

Where do we obtain covid tests in Jamaica?????

Hopefully this crap rule will be abandoned long before April.

Negative tests and 14 day quarentine....
    You can book a test here: https://microlabs.limited/sars-cov-2...tructions.html

Jamaica has very limited testing capacity which they are trying to prioritize for residents.

Quote Originally Posted by casterpix View Post
    You can book a test here: https://microlabs.limited/sars-cov-2...tructions.html

Jamaica has very limited testing capacity which they are trying to prioritize for residents.
    The closest testing center is in Montego Bay and costs about $180 CAD. So, in addition to losing the better part of a day, a couple will need to pay an additional $360 CAD plus transportation.
    1992 - First time at Hedonism II as a single guy
    2017 - Returning to Hedonism II as a married guy with kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 15th - 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    The closest testing center is in Montego Bay and costs about $180 CAD. So, in addition to losing the better part of a day, a couple will need to pay an additional $360 CAD plus transportation.
    Unfortunately this is the new reality of the COVID age.
    It seems like the US will also be heading down this path by requiring anyone entering or re-entering to have a test in hand:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29929H

On the bright side if the US implements this its almost guaranteed that Jamaica by itself can't provide this level of testing and so the airlines will have to step up. Maybe the best outcome would be getting to MBJ 4 hours before the flight for a rapid Antigen test. They do that kind of thing at some US airports. You would still have to pay for it though easily running each couple $200 to $300 but US insurance might cover some part of it.

Unfortunately this is the new reality of the COVID age.
    It seems like the US will also be heading down this path by requiring anyone entering or re-entering to have a test in hand:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29929H

On the bright side if the US implements this its almost guaranteed that Jamaica by itself can't provide this level of testing and so the airlines will have to step up. Maybe the best outcome would be getting to MBJ 4 hours before the flight for a rapid Antigen test. They do that kind of thing at some US airports. You would still have to pay for it though easily running each couple $200 to $300 but US insurance might cover some part of it.
    Since the original question was about Canada, it should be noted that travel entry requirements do not accept the results of the antigen test. Only the PCR test is accepted.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...to-canada.html
    2017 - Returning to Hedonism II as a married guy with kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 15th - 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
    Since the original question was about Canada, it should be noted that travel entry requirements do not accept the results of the antigen test. Only the PCR test is accepted.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...to-canada.html
    you are a little dull.

Why do you call Goldorak dull?
    Those are the Canadian rules as of Jan 7th. No negative PCR, no getting on the plane. If the country your flying from can't provide a PCR test before you board the plane then you have to quarantine for 14 days in a federal facility. Even if you have a neg PCR test you still need to self quarantine for 14 days.
    I have had to cancel my Feb trip because my agent could not get confirmation that even if i did go to Montego Bay for the PCR test that I could get the results in time to fly home.

you are a little dull.
    I'm not dull, just a realist. I hate all this as much as everyone.

Microlabs has a special service for Canadians due to the new return requirement testing....as a Canadian(you will need to supply your passport number on the form), they will come to the resort, pick up the sample and send you the results to your email 24-48 hours after picking up the sample.
    Appointment is required in advance.
    Presently: Pick up days are Monday,Wednesday and Thursday. Cost works out to $178 CAD currently. Or 20,000 Jamaican dollars.

This is great as you do not need to leave the resort!

Here is the link for Canadians if anyone is interested.

https://microlabs.limited/canada-visitor-portal

If someone does use the service before we do, please let us know your experience!

We also look at the reality of life Goldorak. Then decide what risks we are willing to take and live with no regrets afterwards with our decisions
    Stay safe and enjoy!
    The Mrs.
    2021 Nov 20 to Dec 4 (15 days) Hedo II (Covid pandemic)
    2020 Nov 21 to Dec 5 (15 days) Hedo II (Baz Adv Dive cert-Pandemic)
    2019 May Secrets Hideaway FL
    2019 Dec 6 to 16th (11 days) Hedo II
    2018 Dec 26 to 2019 Jan 7 Hedo II (13 days) Happy NYE
    2017 Nov 22-Dec 2: Hedo II (11 days)
    2017 Sept 14-16: Sandy Bottoms Resort
    2017 Apr 28-May 8: Hedo II (10 days perfect) New friends, experiences and great times along with OW Scuba cert
    2016 Jan 1-Jan 8: Hedo II (8 days) newbies and enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Baz&Sus View Post
    Microlabs has a special service for Canadians due to the new return requirement testing....as a Canadian(you will need to supply your passport number on the form), they will come to the resort, pick up the sample and send you the results to your email 24-48 hours after picking up the sample.
    Appointment is required in advance.
    Presently: Pick up days are Monday,Wednesday and Thursday. Cost works out to $178 CAD currently. Or 20,000 Jamaican dollars.

This is great as you do not need to leave the resort!

Here is the link for Canadians if anyone is interested.

https://microlabs.limited/canada-visitor-portal

If someone does use the service before we do, please let us know your experience!

We also look at the reality of life Goldorak. Then decide what risks we are willing to take and live with no regrets afterwards with our decisions
    Stay safe and enjoy!
    The Mrs.
    Very good information to share. Thank you.

Your last comment makes it seem that I object to people going to Hedo during the pandemic. My personal thought on the matter is simple. I respect everyone's decision to go or not to go as long as they follow the rules and don't endanger anyone else. If someone wants to go and then come back to Canada and quarantine for 14 days then thats fine. My problem is with people not doing this and risking the health of others. These individuals might not have any regrets, but perhaps the person they accidentally infect does have regrets. I'm NOT suggesting that this is your approach or that you won't comply with the rules. I'm speaking more generally and not about anyone specifically or your response.

Earlier, someone called me dull. While I might be, the original question asked in this thread was by someone who was seeking genuine advice to an important subject. Essentially, they wanted to educate themselves. I respect that and don't believe that in this instance, we should provide not erroneous (even accidentally) information like suggesting an antigen test when the government won't accept it.

On a side note, we currently have a reservation for April. I haven't canceled. I'm at the stage of educating myself and we'll make the decision in a month or so. My strong preference is to go to Hedo. We both enjoyed our trip and truly miss it.

In closing, I'll reiterate my first comment on this post. The information that you provided is very good and helps people make an informed decision.

Goldorak, I'm not sure if your comments were directed at me and my last comment posted above. We make no judgment upon you or anyone else with regard to any personal decision they may make. I'll direct your attention to our trip history in our post above, below the signoff - hope that clears up any misperceptions you may have had.

Au revoir
    2017 Apr 28-May 8: Hedo II (10 days perfect) New friends, experiences and great times along with OW Scuba cert

according to the Hedo and DennyP sites, as of 1/11/21 Hedo will have testing available on site. https://www.hedonism.com/covid-19-news/

This is the Mrs...
    Not at all what that I was objecting to people going to Hedo during the pandemic. We just came back and were very aware of the risks, and were careful, knowing that we would not regret our decision of going. We do not regret going at all.

I read the comment noting the “dull” comment. I don’t feel that was warranted.
    Nothing at negative from my response intended.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Baz&Sus; 01-09-2021 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Hubby had responded also ;)

Yes. Thank you all.
    We discovered the Canadian portal, a couple days ago.