Thread: Question about food at Hedo

Question about food at Hedo

We just booked a trip for May and I’m a little concerned about the food. I know it’s not going to be Michelin star or anything, but how is it really? I went to the DR a few years ago and the food at the resort was so bad I started just trying to eat enough to get by everyday and I’m not up for that again. So, how would a foodie, or someone who’s sensitive to food find it? I did look through posts, but they’re mostly from 2013, and I know they’ve been making updates in the last couple years, so I’m mostly looking to hear from people who’ve been recently.
    Thanks

The food is excellent. Be sure to make time for dinner at Pastafari and Harrysan. The steaks at Flame are ok but the atmosphere more than makes up for up, especially iwhen dining with friends. And isn't that what it's about?

If you want a comparison, I would compare it to a good buffet restaurant. Not 5 star, but 3-4 star on most things and LOTs of variety. I'm an amateur food snob, and I was pretty happy.

The restaurants, which are free modulo extras, were pretty good too and provide a more intimate experience.

the food is not that bad I personly like the chicken from the beach grills the buffet caters to a wide variety

We find the food to be very good to excellent, we are not fussy eaters however, and like a variety of foods, so maybe not a good evaluation for you, but we actually enjoy the food. We hope you do as well!!

Five years ago, when ownership changed hands, the new owners brought in a 5 star chef from Dallas who has done wonders at the resort not only in the food that is prepared and served but also in training new chefs. His staff has won numerous awards throughout the Caribbean. When people ask about the food at Hedo, I think back to the night at the buffet a couple of years ago when the offerings included roast suckling pig, quail and red wine risotto, not your typical AI buffet food.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

Well our last trip was a few years ago, just after the new ownership had started to make real changes, so it's good to hear things are even better now! We were pretty happy then, tho.

We were there last June and the food was excellent. The dining room was just as good as the specialty restaurants in my opinion. Many selections and lots of variety. I give them a 4+ out of 5.

I would say that the food is good. I am a picky eater and tend to be on the boring side and found food that I enjoyed every night. Of course there is the pasta station and the restaurants if you want to mix it up. You won't go hungry that is for sure.
    Past trips

Jan 3 - Jan 10 2016

Jan 5-14 2017

Jan 4-10 2018

January 5 - January 14 2019

January 11- 18, 2020

Cancelled Jan 8- 16 2021

July 2 - 10 2021

January 22 -29 2022

Thanks for the responses everyone and HedoJoe thanks for the info about the new chef and ownership. I’d read about the new ownership and renovations, and I was hoping the same would be true for the food. As long as it’s reasonably good I’d be ok, and suckling pig, quail, and risotto don’t sound too bad.

We love to start off with the Sushi at Harrysan and then follow that up with the regular meal at either Harrysan or the buffet. I don't care for Pastafari although we eat there once each time to see if it has improved. Unfortunately last time we sat next to a lady (and I use the term loosely) that must have dumped a bottle of perfume over her head. She just reeked! Definitely spoiled the night. We ate at Flame for the first time last time and it was pretty good. I don't eat any meat (just fish and shrimp) but I still had a good time.
    Breezes Grand Negril: 5/2010
    Hedonism II: 12/2011, 11/2016, 12/2017, 4/2019
    Couples Tower Isle: 1/2013
    Hidden Beach: 12/2013, 5/2016
    Couples Negril: 4/2015
    Couples San Souci: 4/2017, 4/2018
    Vritomartis, GR: 9/2017
    Cap D'Agde, FR: 7/2018

We were there a couple weeks ago. I have to admit my appetite was off due to stomach issues related to travel. The restaurants are decent and so are the grills on the beaches. My only complaint is the buffet... I sometimes find myself making laps around the offerings and struggling to fill my plate, or I fill my plate with things that look good, but are a little disappointing when I taste them. Some OK times, sometimes disappointing.

Some of the buffet issues could just be the time we're getting there (some things are cold) and we rarely wait for the pasta or egg stations.

My suggestion (which I sometimes find hard to follow)... eat dinner in the restaurants rather than the buffet. Lunch at the grills are great and you can customize things as you like... just ask. Midnight pizza at the nude grill can be amazing, but sometimes just OK... so try it more than once.

Enjoy your week.
    Hedo II - WWV/Hedo Amigos - March 14-21, 2020
    Hedo II - March 9-16, 2019
    Hedo II - WWV/Playful Pussycats - April 2017
    Hedo II - WWV/Hedo Amigos - March 2016

There is lots and lots of great food at Hedo. If you have any special dietary concerns or requirements, I suggest you email the head chef before you arrive. anthonymiller@hedonism.com We are gluten-free, and they do have various gluten-free items. Although I have to ask for them and wait a few minutes, they prepare gluten-free pancakes for me each morning. The staff is wonderful and will take good care of you.