Thread: Booby Cay

Booby Cay

Hey Guys!

Has anyone ever kayaked to Booby Cay from Hedo? Do the watersports guys even let you take a kayak that far?

Is there anything to do or see on the little island?

We heard that several years ago, Hedo used to have nightime island bonfire parties on Booby Cay, which must have been pretty cool.

If nothing else, we figured it'd be a good workout kayaking there and back.

Thanks!
    KnD
    Desire Pearl hot tub, beds & swim-up bar:

Incredible paradises we've had the pleasure of experiencing:
    Couples Negril - Couples Sans Souci - Grand Lido Braco (RIP) - Hedonism III (RIP)
    Desire Riviera Maya - Hidden Beach Resort - Desire Pearl - Hedonism II

We kayaked to Booby Cay a couple of years ago, they will let you go but you must wear a life jacket. It is a 15-20 minute paddle to get there. You must stay on the beach side of the island, the ocean side can be very rough. We went in the morning so the island was deserted, there was a make-shift bar and some garbage pails and a fire pit, otherwise not much else to see but worth doing it once to get some exercise and “work off” the night before.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

My wife and I kayaked over there from Hedo on 3 different afternoons in August 2017. We just let Julian from watersports know that was our destination, and he was fine with it. The water did get choppy but we didn't have any problems negotiating it.

I'm not sure if he does this the entire lobster season,
    but there was a man over there that goes by the name of "homeboy" that will make you a delicious fresh lobster dinner that they get right from their live trap for $20-$30 depending on the live lobster size. (except April through June when lobster season is closed) Then he sends you to his wife's makeshift bar for $5 red stripes. The beach area you can stay on is small, but we found areas to swim and explore. It's definitely a fun little experience for us that was well worth it, and we will kayak there on our next Hedo trip!
    Last edited by popatop; 08-22-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add text
    Couples, San Souci- August, 2016
    Hedo II - August, 2017
    Couples, Negril- August, 2018 including 2 day passes to Hedo

I have read more than one report that the lobster guy on BooBY Cay serves lobster during the closed season. Depends on visitors not knowing that lobster hunting is closed.

Doubt that story about a bonfire night. Would have read about it before today. Decades ago, Hedo (and a few other resorts) had a "picnic" event starting late morning into the late afternoon. Main point was to get folks as drunk as possible, which was largely successful.

Officially, the Cay is closed. It is owned by the Urban Development Corp, an agency of the Jamaican Government. They are looking for an outfit to develop it into a marina and a pub.

We took kayaks over to Bobby Cay, as others have noted not much to see there, some trash strewn around, a fire pit, for cooking lobsters but no guy when we were there

We take the two person kayak over and the only difference in getting lobster when the season is out is before they pick up the lobster trap and ask you what one you want, they look around first, lol.
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Another report of those Cay cooks serving lobster during the closed season to allow for undisturbed reproduction. Thus I will not purchase any thing from them even when the lobster season is open.

The Cay has no bathrooms, no running water, no electricity (have heard a generator once), no trash removal.

I see no real reason to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Passion4Diving View Post
    Another report of those Cay cooks serving lobster during the closed season to allow for undisturbed reproduction. Thus I will not purchase any thing from them even when the lobster season is open.

The Cay has no bathrooms, no running water, no electricity (have heard a generator once), no trash removal.

I see no real reason to visit.
    Many, many years ago, the Wednesday lunch at Hedo was served (as a picnic) at Booby Cay. Everyone headed over to the island in boats for a session of silly games (most involving quaffs of rum punch), followed by ribs, salads, breads and beer. In summer months a great time was had by all. In cooler times, the goose bumps on naked skin (did I mention that most of us were nude?) were 'interesting. We headed back to the main land after lunch -- for the usual afternoon 'snooze'.

It was a great time. Except:
    No toilets, no running water, no garbage cans. The island soon became a septic swamp -- washed clean every time there was a thunderstorm.

Great memories, but you simply could not repeat the happenings today -- health and safety, an older (much older) demographic, yada yada.

But I remember it well. I have the photos (in those days we could take photos) to prove it. Ah yes, I remember it well -- even after the rum punch and beer.

PNK
    Hedo (again) Sept 5 - 15, 2018

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all of the replies! I guess we'll have to see if we're in the mood for some rowing this Sept while we're at Hedo!

Irie!
    DnK
    Desire Pearl hot tub, beds & swim-up bar:

Incredible paradises we've had the pleasure of experiencing:
    Couples Negril - Couples Sans Souci - Grand Lido Braco (RIP) - Hedonism III (RIP)
    Desire Riviera Maya - Hidden Beach Resort - Desire Pearl - Hedonism II

I've snorkeled there. It's not far and you can walk a lot of the way depending on tidal conditions. There isn't much there but it's a destination.

We have kayaked there a number of times. Not much to do there but a nice workout. Not sure you can go nude there, but that would make it even more fun.
    We come to play and play to cum!