Thread: Is it safe to park your car at hedo?

Is it safe to park your car at hedo?

I was thinking of renting a car to save money vs taking a cab.

How safe is the parking there?

Check prices, it is cheaper to fly.

I would recommend not driving there. They drive on the other side of the road compared to driving state side. The traffic can be crazy getting to the resort in places and the driving seemed to be very aggressive. In our opinion driving in Jamaica is not something we would want to do on our vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I was thinking of renting a car to save money vs taking a cab.

How safe is the parking there?
    A damned sight safer than parking at your favourite mall!!

Seriously, unless you are planning to get out on your own and explore the island, I would recommend against renting a car because in all likelihood, you will use the car twice - driving to Hedo, and driving to the airport.

Driving here requires full engagement of all your senses: we don't have bad drivers in Jamaica, we have Road Terrorists!!!!

The last time I rented a car, about 8 years ago, it cost me $55 per day and that was a good rate because the owner of the Budget franchise is a friend of mine and he cut me a deal!!!

You are better off hiring a private driver, and many people on this forum will give you names of excellent drivers who will pick you up and you back and forth between the airport and Hedo.

Yeah we wouldn't recommend driving either, I don't know how the shuttle driver got through some spots and as we went through some of the towns it can be very tight with people and bikes on the roads as well. Not an easy place to drive. Plus I would venture to say if you're talking cost it's probably more expensive to rent a car and have it sit at the resort. The shuttle recommended by Hedo was $100 per couple round trip and Rocky's, which everyone seems to recommend, is $140 per couple. You'd probably spend more on a rental. Plus from what we've read you get beer with Rocky's so you can sit back and have a couple and enjoy the sites and each other on the way to the resort.

Thanks for the advice. I thought it was $140 each way.

We're taking a taxi.

Currently in mobay on the first leg of the trip.

See everyone in a few days.

If you really want to save money, the cheapest way to get there (other than walking or swimming) is route taxis (shared public transportation). From the airport departure area, it is $100 JMD pp to downtown Mobay. There you ask for the taxi to Lucea which is $225 JMD pp. At the Lucea taxi park, ask for a taxi to Negril which is $250 JMD pp. In USD, it's about $4.60 per person each way. You need to make sure you are using a licensed route taxi that's on it's correct route. This only works if you have no more than a carry on suitcase and a personal bag per person.

I recommend the JTL bus service, it takes a bit longer to get there because of the stops along the way. But it is only $30 per person round trip!

We have been using them for more than 10 years, never had a bad experience. The difference in cost for a private taxi will pay for an extra night at Hedo.

The JUTA counter in the Transportation Hall @ MBJ will sell you a walk up fare to Negril for $25.00(one-way). Sometimes been really fast leaving, other times not so much. They will put you on just about every outfit, as I've ridden on Sunholidays, JTL, Kontiki, and even usually private outfits that are "deadheading" back to Negril w/no passengers and looking to cover the cost of the fuel.

To answer the question...yes, it's safe to park @ Hedo. They have a lot off the roundabout, kinda behind the Kitchen, and since you have to go through the gate/guard to access it, it's secure. There's no real alternate way for people off the street to access that lot w/o walking past a guard shack.
    Last edited by WSSkier; 06-30-2018 at 05:31 PM.

I have driven all over Jamaica. It is challenging, though it is less so than it was 10 years ago. A lot of the roads have been upgraded. However, the road from MoBay to Negril is still tough in spots as it goes through the towns. Renting a car if you are just going to Hedo is a total waste of money as it's going to just sit in that parking lot. As others have said there are cheap shuttle services. If you want to see more of Jamaica you can get Island Car Rental to bring you a car the day you depart Hedo for an extra $40. Or you can do your sightseeing on arrival and get them to pick up the rental car at Hedo for the same $40.