Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diving at Hedo

Diving at Hedo

Has anyone done the dive trips that are included in the package? If so, how was the staff and equipment?

We need to take at least one dive. Water should be nice and warm since it's late in the season.

The staff are awesome.. I didn’t mind the equipment, I did take my own mask, snorkel, and fins tho. Just used their BC, weights, and tanks. They take good care of their equipment as well.
    H2 June 7-13, 2015 Virgin Trip
    H2 May 21-29, 2016
    H2 June 9-16, 2017
    H2 June 9-16, 2018
    H2 Dec 15-22, 2018
    H2 June 9-15, 2019
    H2 May 30 - June 6th 2020 Canceled due to COIVD
    H2 Dec 16-20, 2021

Good to know. How's the life down there?

every dive is different, the most enjoyable one is the "gallery" at 50 feet. sea is calmer on the 9 am dive, a bit rough at the 11 am, second dive is shallower. as for the staff, they are some of the best around. at least that is what I experienced in my 100+ dives. I 'll let you know after June 30 if anything had changed.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by cococutie View Post
    Has anyone done the dive trips that are included in the package? If so, how was the staff and equipment?
    Hi there cococutie,
    We agree with hotnshy, the dive masters are some of the best. They take their responsibilities seriously, yet do their best to make it a fun experience accommodating as many requests as possible with your safety in mind. We have done both early 1st dives and 2nd dives. The coral was lush, deep with colour and relaxing. We found Mexico's coral to not be as dense or alive. As far as stingrays, moray eels, crabs, barracuda, etc... They were quite visible and close in proximity to us on our dives. Loved it! We did meet a few guests who did the night dives and they raved about them. One of the dives they saw massive crabs within 5 mins of the dive. They stated that the water world becomes alive at night with larger fish species. The boat ride from H2 to the dive sites is fairly short, which is great! The equipment is cleaned and maintained by the staff. We didn't hear anyone complaining. As with hotnshy we bring our own masks, fins, and snorkels. We bring our own wetsuits/wet skins. I have dived with just a bathing suit and have been fine while my husband on the same dive wore a 2/3mm wetsuit. The only downfall on just wearing only a bathing suit is that you may end up with scratches or stings. I did on my legs. We have never found the water temp to be an issue with our dives in May and November. Go and enjoy!
    2021 Nov 20 to Dec 4 (15 days) Hedo II (Covid pandemic)
    2020 Nov 21 to Dec 5 (15 days) Hedo II (Baz Adv Dive cert-Pandemic)
    2019 May Secrets Hideaway FL
    2019 Dec 6 to 16th (11 days) Hedo II
    2018 Dec 26 to 2019 Jan 7 Hedo II (13 days) Happy NYE
    2017 Nov 22-Dec 2: Hedo II (11 days)
    2017 Sept 14-16: Sandy Bottoms Resort
    2017 Apr 28-May 8: Hedo II (10 days perfect) New friends, experiences and great times along with OW Scuba cert
    2016 Jan 1-Jan 8: Hedo II (8 days) newbies and enjoyed

Yay!! Thanks for the feedback you guys. I can't wait for this trip!

Blog Entries
    The Gallery is good, but I like the Blue Hole around the corner. There's a tunnel you can scuba through that's 50 yrds long, it was pretty cool. Diving in that cool blue water is always fun. We dive with a group of repeat offenders and have a pretty good time. It's apparently not the world's best as somebody always has to mention some spot like the Grand Caymans or the Red Sea, but it is very warm and it's incredible quick as well. You leave at 9 or 11 and are back in under 2 hrs. Pretty much just walk away. I once tried to help with the equip and they shoo'd me away, lol.. Great bunch of guys, been there for years.
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Should we get on a schedule for dives ahead of the trip, or fine to just sign up for the next day when we get in?

Only one word to describe the staff...outstanding.

ok, a bit more explanation...I got my certification a few years ago, but aside from my certification dives in Canada, I had only dived in Iceland with a dry suit. Very different from diving in Jamaica. As a low experience diver, I found the dive master to be very attentive and safety consious. They were always looking out for my well being and made the experience even more enjoyable. That's why I rate them as outstanding.

As for the equipment, I brought my mask and snorkel. I found their equipment to be ok. A bit better than what I'd expect at a resort. While not new, everything worked well and didn't give me any problems.
    1992 - First time at Hedonism II as a single guy
    2017 - Returning to Hedonism II as a married guy with kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 15th - 22nd

I would go down to the dive shop the day you arrive and sign up for all the dives you want to do while there. Sometimes it can be very busy and fill up fast.
    We usually arrive Saturday morning and after checking in and getting to the room to drop off things we head down to the dive shack to get signed up.
    H2 June 7-13, 2015 Virgin Trip
    H2 May 21-29, 2016
    H2 June 9-16, 2017
    H2 June 9-16, 2018
    H2 Dec 15-22, 2018
    H2 June 9-15, 2019
    H2 May 30 - June 6th 2020 Canceled due to COIVD
    H2 Dec 16-20, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrsHedoLvr View Post
    I would go down to the dive shop the day you arrive and sign up for all the dives you want to do while there. Sometimes it can be very busy and fill up fast.
    We usually arrive Saturday morning and after checking in and getting to the room to drop off things we head down to the dive shack to get signed up.
    Oh ok good to know. We will do that for sure.

I have some 2000 dives in the Negril waters (class of 1984). The dive masters and instructors are top notch. The equipment is well maintained by the same guy that have been then since 1984. BCDs are renewed annually. Tanks are AL80s charged to 3000psi.

Get to the dive shop on the day you arrive. There is a reasonable stack of paperwork (releases, medical, etc.) that must be filled out, so do not forget your c-card.

Hedo offers to 2 dives daily. The first departs the pier at 9:30am and is the deeper dive (generally some 90 feet); you must be certified as advanced open water or better to participate. The second dive departs at 11:30am at generally go to dive sites that are 55 to 60 feet. If there is room on the boat (holds 16 divers), then those who dived on the early dive may join the second dive. Yes, you will have sufficient SI.

Equipment is completely free of charge, as it the boat ride (yes, some places change for the boat ride).

Dive staff are Hedo employees, so the no-tipping rule applies.

The dive staff also offers PADI certification instruction, including the resort course offered at US$70 (which is actually a training, not a certification).

My favorite 60 foot dive location is called the Arches, followed by the shallow plane and my favorite deep dive is either the deep plane or Joe's reef. The planes were purposely sank in the bay to create a reef and an interesting dive site/sight.
    Last edited by Passion4Diving; 05-22-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Passion4Diving View Post
    I have some 2000 dives in the Negril waters (class of 1984). The dive masters and instructors are top notch. The equipment is well maintained by the same guy that have been then since 1984. BCDs are renewed annually. Tanks are AL80s charged to 3000psi.

Get to the dive shop on the day you arrive. There is a reasonable stack of paperwork (releases, medical, etc.) that must be filled out, so do not forget your c-card.

Hedo offers to 2 dives daily. The first departs the pier at 9:30am and is the deeper dive (generally some 90 feet); you must be certified as advanced open water or better to participate. The second dive departs at 11:30am at generally go to dive sites that are 55 to 60 feet. If there is room on the boat (holds 16 divers), then those who dived on the early dive may join the second dive. Yes, you will have sufficient SI.

Equipment is completely free of charge, as it the boat ride (yes, some places change for the boat ride).

Dive staff are Hedo employees, so the no-tipping rule applies.

The dive staff also offers PADI certification instruction, including the resort course offered at US$70 (which is actually a training, not a certification).

My favorite 60 foot dive location is called the Arches, followed by the shallow plane and my favorite deep dive is either the deep plane or Joe's reef. The planes were purposely sank in the bay to create a reef and an interesting dive site/sight.
    Woah. thanks.
    Is this "must be advanced to go 90ft" a new rule?
    The Arches, check check. I hope we go see it.
    I lost my c-card. Will they look it up for me like other resorts do? Beaches just pulled it up by dob and name or something.
    We will def go on first day to schedule and do paperwork. thanks so much

PS 2000 dives in negril alone?! whaaaaat. How many overall and what is the coolest place you've experienced? #justbeingnosy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast