Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 more...but prob not the last...noob questions

2 more...but prob not the last...noob questions

Ok so I understand no tipping...but is this a hard and fast, never broken rule? I remember at a sandals one vacation that the housekeeper refused my tip with fear in her eyes, but the bartender was very adept at sweeping my tip underneath the bar...lol.
    Also, at the resort itself, is there a need for cash and for what? Is there anything that would require me to pay in cash instead of my credit card?

They are serious about no tipping, but occasionally we hear about someone saying they tipped someone. I would advise against it. The only places to spend money on property you can charge to you room and pay with a credit card. Like the gift shop, spa, wine bar, coffee bar, or travel desk.
    Hedo II - My Happy Place

April 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, & 2021 (no 2020, darn COVID)
    Sept. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, & 2022

Cash for tipping at airport, shuttle driver, buying a few beers at the airport for the shuttle ride and if you plan to go off resort.

Tipping at the resort happens, but be aware that they do fire employees that are caught receiving tips. Resort policy is no tipping to ensure all guests get the same level of service and all employees get a tip share that is included in the room cost, not just the few employees that you see face to face, like the bartender, maid...

Some people bring little token of appreciation gifts. Mine is typically a few bath and body works sample sized things, especially hand sanitizers. chocolates. A magazine or book I finished reading while on vacation. I include a note "Thank you for the wonderful service, I hope you enjoy -Itemized list of the stuff I left behind." Room#, name.

The cruises, bell hop, cab driver and airport baggage handlers, I usually tip. $1 per bag.
    Bring a can of lysol, before you go off to the pool on your 1st day, spray the fuck out of your a/c unit. It'll reduce the chance of what everyone calls "Hedo gunk" I questioned it until the entire resort lost A/C and I miraculously got better. I usually spray it for about 3 minutes... literally dripping wet. I've never had a problem since.

I always leave a few $ on the pillow for the maid just as a nice thank you for an unappreciated job well done. Talking with some of the employees about their long bus commutes to work for their 12 hour shifts and their ridiculous weekly pay is heartbreaking and if a few bucks can change the situation for a poor family then I'm in.

Cash is also good if you want to buy a souvenir from one of the vendors on the property (ie the tables that are set up with locals selling items).

"ridiculous weekly pay"

sounds like they are fishing for tips, since hedo employees are paid more than most jamacan hotel employees, and also receive many bonuses~ kitten
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Some resorts (Sandals I'm told) pay workers $2 a week....so being better paid is a real relative term. You can imagine what a few bucks extra a day does for the family back up in the hills.

The current Jamaican minimum wage is J$6,200 per week or about US$49. I strongly suspect that most Hedo workers get paid more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Riandsu View Post
    Some resorts (Sandals I'm told) pay workers $2 a week....so being better paid is a real relative term. You can imagine what a few bucks extra a day does for the family back up in the hills.
    it won't help if they get fired for accepting tips
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

I always leave a few $ on the pillow for the maid just as a nice thank you for an unappreciated job well done. Talking with some of the employees about their long bus commutes to work for their 12 hour shifts and their ridiculous weekly pay is heartbreaking and if a few bucks can change the situation for a poor family then I'm in.
    Those few bucks, if they are caught taking them from you or a pillow, will get them fired. If that happens, they may never get another job in hospitality again. In Jamaica, their work record follows them from employer to employer. The owner of Hedo pays his employees better than almost all the other resorts.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

Not true. Sandals starting pay for untrained new hires is the equivalent of $49. US dollars per week. I realize this still sounds like shitty pay to those of us from 1st world countries, but Jamaicans can live in Jamaica on that amount.
    Scott & Kathy Upcoming trips:

2019 Jan 2nd to 12th Hedo with Toms Trips Lifestyle Month Swingers Delight
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h...uary-week-two/

2019 April Lifestyle Fantasy Week Hedo April 13th to 20th
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h.../fantasy-week/

2019 Oct 12th to 19th Hedo Toms Trips Oktoberfest Week -
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h...s/oktoberfest/

Ty all for the great input. I think I'll bring a small bottle of perfume or something similar to leave with a note to the housekeeper, since they have the hardest job by far.

We did tip but we were very careful to make sure that no one got into trouble. When we checked out, I asked how we can go about rewarding a few people for outstanding service. They asked us to put the money in an envelope and to write down the name of the people on it. We then gave it to the person at front desk. I know that the money did go to the right people because one of them came to see us to thank us while we waited for the bus back to the airport.
    1992 - First time at Hedonism II as a single guy
    2017 - Returning to Hedonism II as a married guy with kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 15th - 22nd

Quote Originally Posted by crysenmike View Post
    Ty all for the great input. I think I'll bring a small bottle of perfume or something similar to leave with a note to the housekeeper, since they have the hardest job by far.
    Really? What makes you think they have the hardest job? Because you see them? What about the person that cleans the pool, washes your towels/linen, fixes your clogged toilet, dives to remove the sea urchins so you don't step on them, or any of the other hundreds of workers that work to make your stay great? Without taking away from all the work the housekeepers do, there are a lot of employees that put in a much harder day's work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast