Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of emergency??

State of emergency??

Has anyone else seen that the Jamaican government. Has declared a state of emergency in Montego Bay (in response to very high and rising levels of violent crime)? I know we don’t leave until March... am I panicking over nothing ?

Also want to add: safe travels to those there and those who will still be going!

Good thing we will be in Negril!

Quote Originally Posted by NCcouple43 View Post
    Good thing we will be in Negril!
    That is true, but we have to fly into Montego Bay and then drive to Negril.

Local media sources reported on Thursday, January 18, that a major security operation was ongoing in Montego Bay, the capital of Saint James parish. Soldiers from the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) have reportedly set up checkpoints to stop and search vehicles in the city. A significant number of security personnel have reportedly been seen in the neighborhoods of Flanker, Norwood, Cambridge, and Rose Heights. The government also placed Saint James parish under a limited state of emergency on Thursday due to an increase in crime rates, notably shootings.

Context
    On January 17 Prime Minister Andrew Holness said that the government was going to intensify measures to combat rising crime in the country. According to the Saint James police, there were 335 murders in the parish in 2017, 67 more than were recorded in 2016.

Advice
    Individuals present in Saint James parish, particularly in Montego Bay, are advised to remain vigilant, follow all instructions issued by local authorities, and take basic security precautions (e.g. keep signs of wealth concealed, drive with doors locked and windows rolled up, etc.).
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Unfortunately, it is true because of gang related activity in a small inner city community as youth fight over turf.

FORTUNATELY, the area in question is FAR from the airport and the roads in and out of Montego Bay, so there is minimal chance of anyone not involved in the gang activity getting hurt.

So come and enjoy your trip!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L&I View Post
    Unfortunately, it is true because of gang related activity in a small inner city community as youth fight over turf.

FORTUNATELY, the area in question is FAR from the airport and the roads in and out of Montego Bay, so there is minimal chance of anyone not involved in the gang activity getting hurt.

So come and enjoy your trip!!!!
    That’s good information to know; I’m not familiar with the areas in the news reports. He thinks we should still just go that by the time March rolls around it will be a distant memory but I can’t help being hesitant about it. Heck, I was nervous about Jamaica’s safety prior to hearing this!
    The ironic part is that I’m sure it will be safer going, now that there is military deployment than it would be without...

St. James Parish sounds familiar to me??? Don't we need to drive thorough any of these areas to get from the airport to Negril? It won't stop us from going, and as always, I will be AWARE of my surroundings, and hopefully Everyone else is as well, and I would guess that daytime would be a little safer than night time?
    Jo- & Mark

Quote Originally Posted by FoxandhisVixen View Post
    That’s good information to know; I’m not familiar with the areas in the news reports. He thinks we should still just go that by the time March rolls around it will be a distant memory but I can’t help being hesitant about it. Heck, I was nervous about Jamaica’s safety prior to hearing this!
    The ironic part is that I’m sure it will be safer going, now that there is military deployment than it would be without...

Vixen, sadly Jamaica does have a high rate of violence which is disproportionately "domestic" (ie., the parties are closely connected somehow), and it rarely crosses into the wider society (unlike Mexico according to the media). As a whole, we value our guests, and know that the tourism sector is Jamaica's Golden Goose, and so many people have vested interests in tourism that tourists have little to fear.

Us Jamaicans are amazingly friendly, caring and welcoming people, and a simple smile and kind greeting goes a long way. I feel safer in the "rougher" parts of Jamaica than I do in any major metropolitan area in the USA!!!

Come and enjoy, go off resort and see some of the various attractions close by and far away, and enjoy our beautiful land!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatlover1995 View Post
    St. James Parish sounds familiar to me??? Don't we need to drive thorough any of these areas to get from the airport to Negril? It won't stop us from going, and as always, I will be AWARE of my surroundings, and hopefully Everyone else is as well, and I would guess that daytime would be a little safer than night time?

Montego Bay is the capital of St. James Parish, but you will not be going anywhere near where the troubles are - they are located South of the city, far away from any routes that you will likely travel. A few years ago, I managed a large construction site near the troubled area, and to get to the neighbourhood where this State of Emergency is located, is such a monumental pain in the ass with winding roads, and multiple intersecting streets.

The likelihood of you accidentally ending up in this area is probably ZERO because it is so hard to get to. You have to TRY VERY HARD to get there!

It's like staying away from NYC 30 years ago because Harlem was a nest of criminality........

Quote Originally Posted by L&I View Post
    Montego Bay is the capital of St. James Parish, but you will not be going anywhere near where the troubles are - they are located South of the city, far away from any routes that you will likely travel. A few years ago, I managed a large construction site near the troubled area, and to get to the neighbourhood where this State of Emergency is located, is such a monumental pain in the ass with winding roads, and multiple intersecting streets.

The likelihood of you accidentally ending up in this area is probably ZERO because it is so hard to get to. You have to TRY VERY HARD to get there!

It's like staying away from NYC 30 years ago because Harlem was a nest of criminality........

Great perspective!! Thank you for the insight.

Would be interesting to see a map of the area showing where the issues are.
    Hedo 1st Timers December 2016
    Hedo - August 19-26 2017
    Hedo - January 27-February 1 2018

Quote Originally Posted by FoxandhisVixen View Post
    Has anyone else seen that the Jamaican government. Has declared a state of emergency in Montego Bay (in response to very high and rising levels of violent crime)? I know we don’t leave until March... am I panicking over nothing ?
    Just landed in Montego Bay this morning... the 20th... during the bus ride from the airport to Hedo... we went through 2 police road blocks where they were checking vehicles... they waved the tour bus right through... Don't give it another thought... it's a non issue!

I'd be more concerned with the state of the road... I think i shook 2 fillings loose... lol

Quote Originally Posted by BiancaMike View Post
    Just landed in Montego Bay this morning... the 20th... during the bus ride from the airport to Hedo... we went through 2 police road blocks where they were checking vehicles... they waved the tour bus right through... Don't give it another thought... it's a non issue!

I'd be more concerned with the state of the road... I think i shook 2 fillings loose... lol
    Lol.. see you in a few hours!

Lmao!! State of the roads and insane drivers! Lmao! That's the real health hazard.
    Hedo 1st Timers December 2016
    Hedo - August 19-26 2017
    Hedo - January 27-February 1 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Fitprincessk View Post
    Great perspective!! Thank you for the insight.

Would be interesting to see a map of the area showing where the issues are.
    Not sure if this will post a picture but I’ll try. This is from a news station here in Canada. The highlighted darker green area is where the state of emergency has been issued.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast