Thread: Virgin Trip, November 13 - 20, 2017

Virgin Trip, November 13 - 20, 2017

This was our virgin trip to Hedo the week of Nov. 13, and I think we will be making reservations soon for a return trip.

Our arrival at MBJ was uneventful. I attempted to book with Club Mobay a couple weeks before arriving, only to find it was completely booked. The wait through emigration was maybe 15 minutes and customs was a “wave through”. I think the VIP line was maybe 5 deep, so the extra minutes in line weren’t very onerous.

Our driver from Rocky’s was David, and after a short walk from the terminal to his car we were on our way to Hedo, Red Strip in hand.

Check-in was somewhat confusing when we were handed off to one fellow who had to look up our reservation, who then handed it to the desk clerk. This was occurring all while a steady stream of alumni came in, and apparently they knew the drill and seemed to be checked in before us.

The only issue with being virgins we knew next to nothing of the resort layout, what was permitted where, when the restaurants/bars/pools/activities etc. were available, except for a sheet of paper with the weekly activities. The bell boy was able to answer our questions as we walked to the room, but this was a case of us not knowing what we didn’t know.

The room was Spartan, but acceptable. Took a bit of figuring out how the AC worked, the body-spray/shower-head control was equally confusing. I also discovered that the TV only worked when the bedside lights were on. My lady found the rooms to be too cool, so we requested and received a thicker “blanket” as the only bed covers were a top sheet. I assumed that was pretty much the standard as we were in the tropics.

First couple of days it rained, and we discovered that certain places (smooth concrete, some of the tile, and anything painted green) could be dangerously slick when wet.

We both got massages from Marjorie and Charmain, on the massage tables by the dock. I recommend those tables instead of those by the nude pool just for the noise. Two sets of thumbs up for those gals.

I attempted the SCUBA shop twice (after first finding it), only to discover them to be essentially booked for the week. I was on the wait list, but after missing the cut 2 days in a row, gave up the thought of diving, instead resolved to drink Bloody Mary’s for breakfast.

The activities sheet had a number of things going on during the day, but as I’m not wearing a watch, nor are there clocks on the wall, how does one know what’s going on elsewhere in the resort? Aside from the Bocce Ball play immediately next to the nude pool, I knew of no other activities. By chance I did get involved in a volleyball game over on the prude side, but that was almost by accident.

We tried all 3 restaurants and buffet. The service in all the venues was excellent, the food was pretty good all-in-all, except deserts apparently aren’t a specialty in Jamaica.

The bar staff was very good, however while the drinks were good, for my taste were a little watered down. I wish they would have a daily “drink special” so I don’t have to wrack my brain thinking what I was thirsty for that day.

From the social standpoint, my lady friend had reservations on coming in the first place, concerned that she would be subject of unwanted advances, touching, etc. To her amazement all the other guests were very nice, polite, considerate and she never felt uneasy or unsafe. The few times the subject of “lifestyle” came up, we just said we weren’t into in and the subject was dropped. There was no unwarranted touching except when permission was asked (and never declined). Everybody was very friendly and conversant (typical of other clothing-optional resorts we’ve been to). The age range was from mid-twenties to seventies; more than one person walked with a cane. We did wander down the beach past Sandals and was surprised how quiet and reserved those resorts were in comparison.

There was a group at Hedo, the “Rascals” and they sure had quite a good time and were very welcoming. From talking with them it seems the trick is to find a couple weeks that work for you, find out which group is making the trip, somehow get on their membership list (if they are open to new members) and book your stay at their reduced rate. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

We did make one foray into the Romping Shop. Apparently we got there too late as all the mattresses were taken. We did a quick walk-through and left. Once again I wish we had gotten a facility orientation and knew the protocols (were the towels where, who changes sheets, what the different rooms were for, etc). I did have a woman ask in what I thought was a uni-sex bathroom if it was the men’s or ladies room. I told her that at this point did it really matter?

The return to MBJ was as uneventful as the drive to Hedo, this time our driver was Kevin; again a very polite and informative young man. The wait for American Airlines was the longest of any wait during our trip. After clearing security we camped out at the Margaritaville restaurant waiting our boarding time. The wait wasn’t bad at all, again not having used Club Mobay I can’t make a comparison.

In summary:
    Club Mobay may not be worth the money, but I haven’t tried it yet.
    Shout out for Rocky’s taxi. I’ll use them again.
    First timers should have a quick walk-through on where everything is, any particular rules, times, etc.
    The resort should make an effort to announce what daytime activities are occurring.
    Yep, we’ll go again.

great trip report. We understand its hard for the new folks to figure out the layout and the activities. Groups are the best to go with of course. The experience of hedo gets better as you come back time and time again. That's why you may hear and its not uncommon We've been coming for over ten years and longer.

Enjoyed your trip report and thanks for writing it!

Understand how you would not know the time when activities happen without a watch. I always wear a watch and in addition to knowing when scheduled activities happen, you meet a lot of people when you are the guy with the watch!

In any event, glad you hear you will be returning!
    Returning to HEDO October 16 through 26, 2019

Awesome trip report. You should be paid to write about every trip you go on. We found it very informative and helpful.

Thanks for the great trip report!
    Something that we recommend to first timers is within the first couple of days is to take a walk (usually in the morning) around the entire resort and explore. It took us until our third or fourth trip to do this...it's easy to get distracted. LOL
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi there and thanks for taking the time to write a virgin report. For many of us group leaders and veterans, it is sometimes difficult to remember those issues and/or trepidations that come with a virgin/newbie trip.

And yes, the value of booking with a newbie-friendly group cannot be over-stressed whenever possible as most group members recall what it was like the 1st day of arrival and how it would have been nice to have a "mentor" to be a guide those 1st few days.

Anyway, thank you for sharing and glad you are thinking of a return visit.

Great trip report. It's good to remind us veterans of how the resort looks to first timers. If you had of joined a group, it would have been the group leaders responsibility to show you around, and answer your questions.
    Scott & Kathy Upcoming trips:

2019 Jan 2nd to 12th Hedo with Toms Trips Lifestyle Month Swingers Delight
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h...uary-week-two/

2019 April Lifestyle Fantasy Week Hedo April 13th to 20th
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h.../fantasy-week/

2019 Oct 12th to 19th Hedo Toms Trips Oktoberfest Week -
    http://www.tomstrips.com/hot-trips/h...s/oktoberfest/