Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Hurricane Dean

Question Post Hurricane Dean

Has anyone heard if the resort suffered any damage?

Was the airport unscathed?

Are all the pot plants under water???
    MrandMrsB

Yes please....

I would like an update. We are leaving Wednesday(WE HOPE). Any word ?

Power 106 was saying no significant damage on the majority of the Island...as opposed to how bad it could have been. Sangster was open to emergency flights this morning and commercial later in the day (Mon. 8-20). So, it looks they dodged a big one.

The resort is claiming no major damage on their website. The worst of it was the southeast and south part of the island but there wasn't swath of land clearing destruction that was forecast 2 days ago. They also didn't get the huge amounts of rain originally forecast (up to 20 inches) and so the flooding wasn't the issue as was suppose to be.

Heard the power was back on in MoBay. Have not heard any specifics from Negril.

Kingston and vicinity sustained more damage than the north and NW.

The PM declared a State of Emergency in the name of quelling looting (criminality was the word used) for one month, extendable up to a year. This gives law enforcement broader (and possibly arbitrary) power. Political opposition is grumbling that this is a move to cancel the national election on the 27th. Don't know if this really will affect tourists arriving at MoBay and heading to Negril or Runaway Bay, but I'd keep it in mind if you're planning on going to (what's left of it) Kingston as part of a trip.

We're scheduled to arrive on the 24th and have found nothing as of yet to cause us to cancel the trip. We'll take our allotted amount of baggage filled with school supplies, bedding, clothes and toiletries.

T&M

Hey Mr. and Mrs, what's shakin'? Ready to meet up in Nov? You guys have been quiet lately. All going well?

Update from Hedo 2

We survived Dean without incident. Here at the resort, it's business as usual. There are some trees down, but very little structural damage. I think the tennis shed had a tree fall on it, that's it as far as I can tell. Pretty amazing. We got VERY lucky. We shacked up in the gym with a bunch of our friends and partied until the hurricane passed, then partied some more. :-) It was great fun. Steve and I are scheduled to go home on Tuesday, wish us luck that flights are running as scheduled, it's looking pretty good so far.

I will do a trip report sometime, though not sure where to start. This was the BEST vacation EVER, which says a lot considering we got a hurricane, lol!

Ta ta,
    d
    Hedo 2, March 15-23 with the HedoAmigos

Oh wow! We are so very glad to hear this news. We were just there two and a half weeks ago. Tell Garfield, the tennis pro, we are sorry a tree fell on his shed! We did a lot of praying for Jamaica and Hedo 2 in particular - so very glad to know you all are all right!!! How did the beautiful garden area landscaping hold up? Well, take care. So glad you still had a wonderful vacation. We loved it there and all those who work there are great people.
    Last edited by Juliegirl; 08-20-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    R and J

LOL....

Who knew they had tennis courts at Hedo??!!??

Sorry...we have been schooled in Hedo by Marc...and he never mentioned tennis....

MrandMrsB

the wife and I knew that they had steps to the courts but that is about it.
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

Always thought the tennis courts were a nasty rumor, lol.
    Glad there was not much damage for the people arriving this week. Get it all fixed for us by Sept 11th, lol.
    Paul + joan....
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CopNkitten View Post
    Always thought the tennis courts were a nasty rumor, lol.
    Glad there was not much damage for the people arriving this week. Get it all fixed for us by Sept 11th, lol.
    Paul + joan....
    I'll be there Friday Paul, got my screwdriver ready to go to work

T

Well, okay, then. You have thoroughly made fun of those who actuallly play tennis. FYI... while there we also 'did our thing' in the DAYTIME in the pool, in the hot tub, on the beach, and yes, even in broad daylight on the Cruise to the cave (on the boat) twice, and got ice cubes tossed at us to 'assist' us as well as expensive lubricant, poured right into the palm of my hand by a stranger to help me while stroking my guy (on the way back it was poured in his hand to help him with me) ..... so there, those who play tennis also screw a lot, too. We are going back in Feb. for more of all of the above.
    Last edited by Juliegirl; 08-20-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    R and J

Making Fun?

Nope...we were admitting to our sloth-like behavior....made worse by products purchased in those boats which hover in the cove.

Knowing your limitations is a measure of wisdom....we hope!!!!!

And we think we are very wise....cause we are very limited!!!!

C & E
    MrandMrsB

Well, it just hit me wrong, because Garfield, the tennis pro is one of the best throughout the Caribbean, a talented Jamaican man with six children.... who also does his part to help Jamaican kids learn tennis who are poor (which he likely is at some level, too) yet he still feels benevolent to help others. He is a special guy - it just made me feel bad for folks not to know he was there! Okay, I'm outta here now. Gotta go water the horses. It's hot out.
    Last edited by Juliegirl; 08-20-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    R and J

wait there is a gym there too.. Now that is just sick and wrong. who works out on vacation.. you work out before and after... lol
    Shell and Dougiestyle.
    need more now! Next trip I'm going to have sex Im going to have it often and more of it.. really I am. Man do I have

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast