Thread: Scary Cancun/Playa Article on Alcohol or Drugging

Scary Cancun/Playa Article on Alcohol or Drugging

This is pretty serious from our perspective. We're booked at RM in November and are now concerned. Neither of the Desire resorts were mentioned in the article but the consequences could be quite serious and expensive.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...usatn-pv-viral
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

Wow, VERY scary article. The fact that so many "older" couples, not just college kids, are making these reports, really makes this seem real.
    Yikes!
    Cowgirl

Last edited by hedo86; 05-19-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Been to Cancun numerous times with no issues whatsoever. But I will tell you this article hit home with the wife and I on a trip to Temptations a few years back. Spent the afternoon in the pool as usual having a few drinks, nothing remotely out of hand. Headed to our room as the sun started down which the pool was fairly empty at that point.

Wife passed out as soon as we hit the pool till next morning and I blacked out from the time I left the pool till the next day. This particular day I felt no buzz at all at the pool but within 30 min I was out.

just saying be cautious. Won't stop me from going back, love the place.

Last edited by FunFlirt; 07-26-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Posted too soon

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hedo86 View Post
    This is essentially fake news. If you read the article closely.... the people affected say things like "I had only 5 shots of tequila... I usually dont pass out that quick."

1.) Americans fly down from the northern midwest and skip dinner
    2.) Americans demand unlimited STRONG drinks
    3.) All of the reported events occured before dinner

#knowyourlimits

Fyi I am a caucasian texan...
    Americans from the North drink too much - THAT was your take-away from the article? Maybe your link was broken, but the story I read referenced broken bones, sexual assault, extortion, denied medical care, and even a report by the Mexican Federal Commission to Protect against Health Risks documenting tainted alcohol and another reporting 43% of the alcohol consumed in the country is illegal.

"Often the vacationers report that they drank tequila, but in other cases it was rum, beer or another alcohol." That was ONE line, less than 0.5% of the entire article.

You need some practice before you start writing for "Cliff Notes" ....

fyi: I'm also a caucasian from Texas - not sure why that matters though.

My wife and I were sitting at the lobby bar at Desire RM a few years ago having a drink while the bartender was restocking the shelves. I remember commenting to my wife that all the bottles he was putting out had been opened, the seal was broken and the bottles had a sticker with an initial on them covering the cap. We joked at the time that they probably opened them to water them down. I'm not saying that Desire is involved in any suspicious behaviour, we've had no problems there over several trips, but makes you wonder why those bottles had been opened.

Last edited by hedo86; 05-19-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    FWIW,it's all over CBS News this morning.They said "dozens" of sick vacationers reported.Estimate is that 40% of the alcohol is "tainted",did say what it was tainted with was industrial grade rubbing alcohol.Don't shoot the messenger,just reporting what I heard.Fake news?Not CBS!

Last edited by hedo86; 05-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Ok so when we drink, we don't drink mixed. We know our alcohol and what it's supposed to taste like by brand.

I've been to too many bars in the U.S. where they clearly subbed crap brand i.e. tequila into a Patron bottle. When I taste that, I always send it back and let the bartender know it's not "x" brand (which they likely already knew). When I run across it, I switch to beer or wine. One of our favorite concert halls here in NY either dilutes or brand switches. We only drink beer there.

That said, I've never been to a U.S. bar where they taint with rubbing alcohol or ethanol (something not intended for consumption). That seems to be the issue in the article. It's a clear profit motive for all-inclusive resorts. If I did suspect non-consumable alcohol (regardless of where it was), I'd probably order a drink and bringing a small quantity home for testing. If the results were positive for tainted alcohol, I'd publish them anywhere and everywhere. Maybe even contact CBS. It's too serious an issue to ignore. The corruption in Mexico is well documented. When it effects tourists, it becomes more personal since we love to vacation in the Caribbean.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip