Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxim Article vs. Newbies' Expectations

Maxim Article vs. Newbies' Expectations

We have a trip planned for next month and being a 30's couple with no experience with anything like this, have been persuaded into jumping into our own Hedo adventure primarily by what we've read here (thanks btw!). The Jones' latest podcast references a Maxim article and we were curious to see what an "uninitiated" author had to say. Somewhat taken aback by what we read, we were interested in the forum's reaction (in part, selfishly in the hopes to help qualm concerns we thought we'd gotten past before booking...) I'm not trying to suggest that our first trip will be anything less than what you all have built it up to be - and to be fair, at least a couple of the anecdotes seem to be nothing more than a polite question, refusal, and nothing more - but thinking back to your first time, is this perhaps not the full story, maybe seen through the eyes of someone not as open to the Hedo experience, or just a little beyond what we might have already prepped ourselves for?
    Last edited by KCandMsL; 03-21-2018 at 10:37 PM.

I think that you will get from your 1st trip to Hedo (or anywhere else) what you put in to it. I don't know the author of that article, or what was expected by them. What I do know, is that if you go with the attitude that you are going to be free, and meet people, an attitude that is open minded to people and things that will likely be different than the things in your "normal" life, willing to engage with people in a nonjudgmental way, from all walks of life, every shape, color, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation etc. You will likely have the time of your life. For me, I find a peace that has been unmatched anywhere else in my travels. My wife an I leave for trip number 21 in 53 days and we can't wait...I hope you find what you are seeking but your mileage may vary, depending on your expectations!! Best of luck
    Last edited by Davenrose; 03-20-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Here is the article. Just read it and its another b.s fabricated story to make it more interesting for its Maxim readers. Hedo is a huge resort. You can make it as crazy or tame as you want. If these stories are true, then they are at the northern tip of the resort by the hot-tub and pool. The craziness is centralized in that area. Eighty percent of the resort is no different than any other resort and actually quite quiet. As for her stories, not saying they didn't happen, but we find most of the people very polite and respectful. I think she just had a chip on her shoulder or fabricated to make her story more interesting.

https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/nudi...e-party-2018-2

Are you referring to the snarky article written by the single female there for a bachelorette party? If so, here's my thoughts on it. She was in over her head and didn't do much research into the resort. No one goes for the accomodations, most blogs, forums and many other articles will mention this. Even just half-assed research, she would have known more of what to expect.
    Yes, you wil be approached for sex. Some are more aggressive than others. (This includes both couples and single men. I've come across plenty of women who thought because she was a female. she could be a bit agressive) No means no and sometimes, you just need to remove yourself from the situation with a second very firm no.
    My 1st trip, I was aware of all of this, except the occasional female being agressive. Before our 1st trip, we (my ex-husband) and I discussed pretty much every possible situation and how we could handle it. My 1st solo trip as a single female (also 8th? trip), I talked to a lot of my established friends on "hey, come save me" situations." Sometimes it was necessary. but what I didn't expect was "Hey, I'm gonna go do some fun stuff, don't worry about me. (My friends can be quite over protective, which isn't always a bad thing)
    My best advice is this, you've done your research, you've probably read both the good, the bad and the ugly. Discuss different ways you can handle it. Talk about what you'll be comfortable with and what you won't be. Your lines in the sand. *even if you're not a swinger! How you'll figure out what to do if you disagree, what if your mind changes? Never ever discuss situations if either of you have been drinking. wait until you're both sober. Sometimes, the woman will get a lot more attention than the male and this can cause the guy to feel left out. How will you communicate this in the pool? If a couple/single guy sits down next to your wife and she feels uncomfortable (But you don't want to lose your seat) she can say "Hey, I'm going to go frefresh my drink (get some water) would you like anything?" to you followed with "hey, why don't we switch seats so I can hear you better" (or any reason to switch seats) if you want to simply leave, "Hey, let's go get some fresh air, It's feeling a little stuffy in here" are just a few ways we avoided uncomfortable situations. Figuring out how you'll communicate for the different potential situations will save you a lot of grief, as well.

Well, this article made me laugh. This woman took a trip to Hedo without doing any research and appeared to be totally unprepared. A single woman is going to get some attention, a group of them will get a lot...a group in wedding veils will definitely be noticed by the horny swingers lol. There are swingers, much like the rest of life most are polite and will cause you no trouble but every group has a jerk. I agree with pretty much every statement in this thread, you will get out what you put in. Know what you want, take off your clothes and have a great trip. Just my two cents but being naked is a big part of experiencing Hedo to the fullest. People are friendlier and everyone is equal in the nude pool. Go have fun and wrote a review so we can live vicariously through you for a minute.

Hedo is what you make it to be. You can be as wild as you want, provided you can find willing playmates, or you can just enjoy the sun, food and friendly company like we do. I love my time with the Naked Happy People and it's the most relaxing, carefree place in the world.

We've never been approached like the author claimed to have been.

Go without any expectations except to relax and enjoy yourself.

Magjoy, Tryinit, I think you are both right. At concerts, nightclubs and restaurants, we have bumped into many bachelorette, "hen" parties. These bachelorette groups, usually decorated with penis attire, bring a lot of attention to themselves with their partying, drinking ways. Having a bachelorette party at Hedo, in itself, speaks volumes (!!!) with this soon-to-be bride. I have a feeling, any unwanted advances this author had, was probably brought upon on how her group of friends were behaving. If this author felt uncomfortable with her surroundings, maybe she should be honest with herself and look into how her friends were acting out rather than to blame Hedo.
    Last edited by cahhhoo; 03-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.

SO let me get this straight. The writer wasn't satisfied with a free getaway hosted by her friend ? That pretty much tells me all I needed to know. She found the resort sleazy but was cool with her friend blowing some guy in the pool she just met? Few people would ever find the place endearing but her friends apparently had a great time? Mmm? I think we all know someone like this.

The article seems to be fiction to me. My experience is that the staff was friendly and rooms were decent. Not at all how she described it.

As for the sex acts, I think her imagination went a bit out of control. Yes, these types of things can happen, but I don't believe her. The most ridiculous thing is the mango dealer offering a free line of coke.
    1992 - First time at Hedonism II as a single guy
    2017 - Returning to Hedonism II as a married guy with kitten + angel's Annual Spring Fling April 15th - 22nd

Trust the people here with hundreds (if not thousands) of trips under their belt collectively. The media spins things the way they want to sell their product. Have we seen some whacky shit over the years? Of course! As others have said, the trip is what you make of it. Rooms are decent, staff are wonderful, and the food has gotten progressively better. Seems like you have done the right research so go and enjoy yourselves. Be as wild or as mild as you want to be. Let us know what you think when you get back :-)

I believe this story is merely an exercise in creative writing by a person who may have never actually been to Hedo. There are too many holes in it from my experience. The resort was not initially built as a swinger resort, it is not a swinger resort but a naturist resort that is lifestyle friendly, the drug dealers do not make deals on the beach itself, they are only able to walk along the water line and security often follows them, if they step on the property security runs them off, if you are interested the dealer will direct you to a place outside the property line...just a few examples.

Anyone going for the first time should not put much credence in this article. Before our first trip the only people who tried to warn us off had never actually been there...trip #9 coming up!
    Last edited by CapnMorgan; 03-21-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

We appreciate the responses everyone! It's certainly helped us and hopefully others thinking about a trip in the future. Probably just a little too much overthinking with the trip now getting very real as we start picking out theme night outfits, etc. Stay tuned for a trip report in early May!

Quote Originally Posted by KCandMsL View Post
    We appreciate the responses everyone! It's certainly helped us and hopefully others thinking about a trip in the future. Probably just a little too much overthinking with the trip now getting very real as we start picking out theme night outfits, etc. Stay tuned for a trip report in early May!
    Really looking forward to that report!
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

I've been to Hedo more times than I can count and have NEVER had such an experience!!! I've gone as a single woman, part of a couple and part of a group.

The article is hilarious! Most of the photos are stock ones with models, which might intimidate some people.
    The one photo that I know is NOT a model, is the pic in front of the Nude sign! That is me in the pic!
    I have been to Hedo six times and am headed back this June.
    Ignore the Maxim article and go have a blast!
    Cowgirl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast