Thread: Shark Sighting

Shark Sighting

Hello All,
    My wife and I just returned back from Hedo. Yesterday Morning around 8:45 am we were ready to go in the water when security by the nude Jedi hollered a warning. We saw a BIG Shark about 30 feet out from the sectioned off corner of the swimming area. It was the left side sectioned corner that is closer to the center of Hedo where water sports is. This shark made a huge splash and commotion making an appearance with a big dorsal fin and tail. From the land it looked huge and must have been feeding on something big. Maybe the hurricane brought it close to shore ? I'm not an expert on sharks but my research shows sharks are rare with few problems to humans in the jamaican waters. I found it fascinating we saw it.

What I find more fascinating is that you saw a nude Jedi... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coq-au-vin View Post
    What I find more fascinating is that you saw a nude Jedi... Lol
    Lol!!

A few new years back there was quite a wildlife show in the water. Right after, I hopped in to the water to the horror of my chair-bors.
    "What? He's not hungry anymore!"

A Hammer Head shark spotted eating a Manta Ray just out side the swimming area. The ray came to shore and many ran out of the water fast. Levi said that's very ray and was surprised. November 2015. Yes we are not on the top of the ocean food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    Lol!!

A few new years back there was quite a wildlife show in the water. Right after, I hopped in to the water to the horror of my chair-bors.
    "What? He's not hungry anymore!"
    Very true!!!

The sad reality is, that there is very little on the food chain to attract masses of sharks close to shore. So most likely it was following prey inshore. A few years ago a large 12 foot Tiger Shark was caught between a barrier reef and the shore near Montego Bay - a very rare occurrence as they usually spend time on the outside of that reef.

A cousin of my grandmother was the last confirmed shark fatality in Jamaica: about 100 years ago in Kingston..... Mall, Tiger and Hammerheads are the more common species we have here.

It is a rare sight that close to shore and in that area. If you ask Winston he says there are no sharks in the water lol. It may have gotton blown in from the storm and then was chasing some food.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

We are scuba divers and over the years we have seen numerous sharks.... And yes some of them are right off the shore from hedonism. It's the ocean that's where they live, beautiful creatures never had an issue.

From my shark diving adventure:
    You will typically only be bitten if you're holding still, and only out of curiosity
    Once bitten, they will typically decide you're way too bony and go away (deaths occur due to bleeding)

I took this as truth.

You will typically only be bitten if you're holding still, and only out of curiosity
    Once bitten, they will typically decide you're way too bony and go away (deaths occur due to bleeding)

I took this as truth.
    Eyewitnesses all freaked. Whats worse a shark or lightning in the pool? Thanks Phillyigirl22.

Very sobering. LOL

I took this as truth.
    Not really that comforting, is it? LOL
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Ha....perhaps not, but I would say the drive from Negril is what you should worry about!

We were at the resort on the first and the only shark reports we heard of were in the nude pool. By the way the weather was fine all week, very little rain and one day wind was strong. One day staff saw a rare water spout.