Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Paradise and Hell time in Jamaica

Our Paradise and Hell time in Jamaica

Hi

My wife and I spent the most wonderful week in Hedo from the 6 to the 13th. The food was great, specially the Japanese restaurant. The people were great, the staff friendly. We are kind of quiet people and enjoyed the prude beach a lot. We found the nude beach quite busy and the nude pool a bit overcrowded. Our renovated garden view room with hot tube was great. The theme nights were fun. I specially enjoyed the glow night. I like to dance and the D.J. Island's DJ was great. The whole week was perfect.

Last Sunday we got on the minibus for transfer to the airport on the way home. This is when paradise turned into hell. After getting on the bus my wife noticed the seat belt and told me that considering the driving around here maybe we should buckle up. Having been together for thirty years, I know when to shut up and obey. So we buckled up. The drive was fine, there was no passing craziness or over speeding. Ten minutes into the drive, a car coming from the opposite direction at a high rate of speed lost control in a curve and started swirling and drifting all over the road coming at us. After 5 or 6 left, right, left right, the car slammed right into us almost dead on. The car just disintegrated. The driver ejected and killed on the spot in the middle of the road beside us.

The minibus we were on was destroyed. Luckily, there was only four people including the driver in our bus. The driver sidekick was not injured, the driver himself seemed to have an slight injury to a leg. As for us it is another story. After the impact, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, I looked at my wife to my right and saw her bleeding profusely from her forehead. She had a gash about three inches long and an inch wide. The impact was tremendous and she hit her head on the handle on the back of the seat in front of us. I went to the back of the bus to our suitcase, got a t-shirt from it and apply pressure to the cut to control the bleeding. After a while, the driver found somebody to take us to the nearest hospital (Lucea). After a twenty minutes ride from hell in the back of that old car who has never seen a wheel balancing machine in its life, we made it there against all odd. If you have never been to a local Jamaican class C hospital, keep it this way. I won't expand on the conditions in there but let's say that this is not what we are used to in Canada. After eight hours in there, the diagnosis was that there was no broken bone and we were both fit to fly home.

Because Air Canada needed something in writing about us being fit to fly, the travel company rep took us to a private hospital in Montego Bay. This is where we had our first taste of health care American style. In Canada, health care is free for all citizen. You need a band aid - free, you need open heart surgery - free, you need a check up - free. Private hospital do not exist in Canada (at least as far as I know). I now understand that a private hospital is a business and the interest of doctors might not be the patient interest. After a superficial check up from a general practitioner ($1000 each) we were told that we needed catscan ($2000 each). After the catscan my wife was told that she was ok and there was no problem with her. In my case, I was asked if I wanted to see an orthopedic doctor??? Well, I guessed since I can't interpret the result of the catsan myself. So here come the fellaw ($340). At this point I was told that I had a broken vertebrae, neurologically unstabilized and that my condition was grave, that he will admit me overnight, send me for an MRI the following day that I will need surgery and a medevac flight home afterward. If not I could have numbness in my legs forever. This is when Pierre got upset, I told him that this is not going to happen, to put a brace on me and that I was walking out of there right there an then. Well...His reaction was one of a vacuum cleaner salesman that has just been told that you are not going to buy his machine after a half an hour sale pitch. That was it. He became borderline aggressive and I was told that I was going to be paralyzed and in wheel chair for the rest of my life, no question about it. Thank you doc anyway and I was out of there. Needless to say that I did not get a brace and I did not sleep well or at all until we got home and checked by competent unbiased doctors.

After this ordeal, the travel company still did not have a fit to fly report, which they needed to put us on a plane home and finalize their contractual obligation with us. The following day they tried to get one from several doctors by phone but none agreed. So they went back to Air Canada, and, I don't know what happened then but they agreed to take us without a fit to fly report. They called us that evening and told us that was it for them and our flight was the following day.

The following day they took us to the airport and good by. After six hours of flights (through Toronto) resting my body weight on my elbows (all that gym time finally paid off), we arrived home. After a good night sleep, we went to the hospital.

It turned out that my wife suffered a concussion and I do have a broken vertebrae. According to the doctor, he sees at least one of those a week and if you are going to get a broken vertebrae this is the kind you want. I do not need MRI or surgery, some physio and rest will do the trick. Matter of fact as he was looking at the x-ray report, he showed me another of my vertebrae that has been broken in the same manner for years (it shows on a January 2015 x-ray they had on file), I was not even aware of it.

All that to say folks that next time you travel, make sure you have travel insurance (I could not believe how fast the medical bill went out of control, over $6000 in a matter of a few hours and no treatment received at all, not even an aspirin), put your seat belt on and do not hesitate to tell your driver to slow down if he goes too fast. There was no over speeding when the accident happened but I remember that there was when we were traveling to the hotel at the beginning of the week.

I regret that the memory of our vacation are not the wonderful time we had at Hedo but rather the nightmarish one we had after leaving Hedo.

Be safe
    Last edited by pierrrre; 03-19-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Wow! Sorry for that ordeal. Point taken and travel insurance added. Hope you recover well and are back soon. We take Tim Air....so if there is an accident i dont think all the aspirin in the world is gonna help lol.

Blog Entries
    wozer, thats a story and a half, thank you. We have experienced madness on the roads and simply looked at each other like "God what can we do" you are right we have to sepak up. In Ochio once we were on a bus that seated 16, there were 25 people on it. Any way certainly count your blessings. Best wishes to you both x
    April 9th-23rd

We found that buying trip insurance for a year is only a few more dollars than purchasing insurance per trip... We purchase it ever April, before our Spring Hedo trip and we are good to go for the year... We use to get it through our regular car/house insurance company but found that we get better coverage with CAA
    Travel with "KITTEN & ANGEL'S SPRING FLING -- wouldn't go with anyone else....

April 2009- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2009
    April 2010- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2010
    April 2011- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2011
    April 2012- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2012. Oct 2012
    April 2013- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2013
    April 2014- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2014, Oct 2014
    April 2015- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2015
    April 2016- Kitten & Angel. Sept 2016

Sept 2017, 2018, 2019

Wow that a great idea we also by by trip and sometime we are on four trips a year. Thanks

Wow, that is some horrible story. The only exception I'd make is your comment about Jamaica having American style hospitals where they over charge you like it's a business. The hospital you had in MB clearly just wanted to ca$h you out and saw your stay as purely financial, rip off the rich Canadians. Hospital care in the U.S. may be expensive, but it's generally pretty damn good (compared to Jamaica) and I'd expect an American hospital would have quickly diagnosed your wife's concussion. Either way, sounds like some healing time is in order for you both and given the possibilities, you are both VERY lucky. Glad you had a nice trip and hope you're both much better very soon!
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

So sorry for the horrible experince you had to endure and thank you for reporting it..it brings a strong dose of reality. We often marvel at the craziness of some of the drivers (yes, they are here at home too) but this brings it all home. Sure hope everyone recovers and you can plan your next trip to Hedo. Can't help but think about the family of the person who was killed, how horrible for them.
    We always have travel insurance. Yes, our health system here at home does make us glad to be Canadian.
    Best Wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

I apologized happy2us if I offended anybody with my American style hospital comment. I should have said "pay as you go" style hospital. I am not qualified to compare the quality of American hospital to Jamaican ones since I have never been in an American hospital. I have been to two types of Jamaican one though and I can tell you that the first one we went to was scary. My wife spent more than 8 hours covered in blood on a table with no sheet on (paper or otherwise) or blanket while I was tending to her, changing her bandaging with my broken back. At one point she asked for some water. A nurse just told me that there was some kind of store across the street where I could buy some. To her credit though, after telling her that I was in tremendous pain and could not walk (I had not received any pain killer or even checked until after 5 hours), I gave her a dollar and she found somebody to go for me across the road. Forget about food. The people going there bring their own. The travel company rep and the injured bus driver brought some to us when they arrived some three hours after the accident. Thanks Emerson. That little bit of food really help my wife to come around.
    Last edited by pierrrre; 03-19-2016 at 06:21 PM.

wow. I never put on my seatbelt on those busses! (but everywhere else -- go figure)
    While I know you may not feel lucky at the moment, consider the person who would not have had it on.

Definitely a point to reflect on --

Best wishes for quick, full recoveries!

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    FWIW,it has always been my impression that Canadians like to get surgery done in the states and US citizens like to slip into Canada to buy their prescriptions at a huge discount.Just sayin'.Accurate appraisal or not?So sorry to hear this happened to you.It's a risk we all take when we leave home.Much worse to have happen in a foreign country for sure.....Here's hoping you both have a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    wow. I never put on my seatbelt on those busses! (but everywhere else -- go figure)
    While I know you may not feel lucky at the moment, consider the person who would not have had it on.

Definitely a point to reflect on --

Best wishes for quick, full recoveries!
    Oh no,you are wrong. I never felt any luckier than right now. I had time to really look at the gentleman that died beside me. A 20 year old police officer with a young family. I am still here, injuries or not.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about the bad end to a good trip.

I've always said, broken leg and I'll go home early and walk the jetway if I have too, but I won't be taken to or be seen by any Jamaican health care people. A Jamaican national would have paid about 1/100th of what they charged you and really you got nothing but grief.

Jamaica does have a very active tourist board as tourism accounts for huge revenue for the island and also a well developed legal system as it was a British Commonwealth territory so maybe there is some redress there? Somebody must have had insurance, no?
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

To add to the horrible story, here are two newspaper reports about your accident:
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...ash-identified
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...-success_54847

What these two reports omitted what nearly all observers concluded: these two policemen were racing each other on the road. You can also assess what passes for "news" and "thoroughness" from the Jamaican media.

Now the topper.
    Here is a video of this "accident" http://proxy-42.dailymotion.com/vide...be62#cell=core
    It is clear from the damages of the two cars that racing must have been involved. No way did a damaged road create such carnage.
    You may have legal action against these two cops. Keep the video for evidence.
    Last edited by Passion4Diving; 03-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nudists View Post
    FWIW,it has always been my impression that Canadians like to get surgery done in the states and US citizens like to slip into Canada to buy their prescriptions at a huge discount.Just sayin'.Accurate appraisal or not?So sorry to hear this happened to you.It's a risk we all take when we leave home.Much worse to have happen in a foreign country for sure.....Here's hoping you both have a speedy recovery.
    Humm, this is another matter altogether. I know that there is Canadians with money going to the States to get really specialized kind of treatments that they can't get anywhere else but I also know that there is a huge black market for American crossing the border to get free treatments in Canada with all kind of illegitimate schemes (going from fake medical cards to fake marriages with willing Canadian). Cheap drug is just the tip of the iceberg. i.e. you have, let say, heart issue and need bypass surgery and do not have insurance like millions of Americans, or the thousands of dollars needed, what would you do? You are looking at death in the face. It is not a game anymore and the end justifies the means. Michael Moore made a very good documentary about this issue. The name of it is Sicko. You can watch it for free on youtube.
    Last edited by pierrrre; 03-19-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Passion4Diving View Post
    To add to the horrible story, here are two newspaper reports about your accident:
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...ash-identified
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...-success_54847

What these two reports omitted what nearly all observers concluded: these two policemen were racing each other on the road. You can also assess what passes for "news" and "thoroughness" from the Jamaican media.

Now the topper.
    Here is a video of this "accident" http://proxy-42.dailymotion.com/vide...be62#cell=core
    It is clear from the damages of the two cars that racing must have been involved. No way did a damaged road create such carnage.
    You may have legal action against these two cops. Keep the video for evidence.
    Thanks for the links. However, could you check the link for the video. It does not work for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast