Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: drinking at HEDO - our two cents

I would also caution about using the local "herbal products", especially if you are not familiar with them. I have seen people "baked out of their brains" and obviously not having a good time. As a friend once said to us: "One nibble (brownie) man and I lost 10 hours!"

lost one afternoon and night due to a brownie, took a bit out of the middle ( just a nibble ) where the brownie was extra soft and thought i was going to od on the damn thing, lost all control of my body functions, could not stand up, no more brownies for me!!! Can't even look at a virgin brownie now with fear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ontario View Post
    We take turns...if I'm going to have a few extra drinks the hubby watches out for me...if he has a few extra drinks, I watch out for him... Like the above posts, I work to hard to spend the kind of money we do, to vacation in Jamaica!!

On our last trip we were in the pool after dinner with a bunch of people and there was a guy so drunk that he went under the water. It took to grown men to get him out of the pool and another two to help the security put him on a beach lounge chair... Needless to say he was still sleeping at lunch hour.. And no they didn't put him under a tree.. He was as red as a strawberry...
    My husband and I end up taking turns too. We didn't even plan it that way, it just sort of happens naturally.

I find that chilling in our room for an hour or 2 with some water after the afternoon drinking and before evening drinking helped us to go the distance. I would typically have an energy drink before going out again (with vitamins and caffeine).

This year I plan to use a substance called dihydromyricetin (DHM) every night before bed or even during the evening if I find that I get too intoxicated. I'm very interested in nutrition, neuroscience and alcohol so I've read pretty much everything I can get my hands on about reducing the harm from alcohol. Anyway this substance has been used in Chinese cooking for years and has been shown to have no harmful side effects. Animal studies done in the U.S. have shown that DHM helps rats to sober up and be less or not hungover afterwards. It does this by helping the liver to process alcohol more quickly and it also binds with the receptors in the brain that alcohol works on (GABA) although it does not technically reduce blood alcohol content immediately. Many of you probably also know that B and C vitamins help your liver deal with alcohol. Acetyl-L-Cysteine is another great supplement to take before drinking -it's an amino acid that is needed by the liver for processing toxins. Of course you can get these last 3 nutrients directly from food but it doesn't hurt to supplement to make sure your body has enough.
    Of course none of these items address dehydration so of course you still need to get adequate water (coconut water is especially good because it has electrolytes). If you're curious about any of this stuff, a Google search can help to answer any questions.

Anyway I've learned about some of this stuff during my year of sobriety (yup, I decided to take a year off the sauce) and will report back after my trip in March if/how my supplementation helped.

Pay attention to the advice here. On our last trip I hit the tequila too hard on the second night and ended up doing a face plant on the asphalt pathway. There was blood everywhere, and needless to say my face looked like hamburger. Luckily there were no broken bones or teeth, but that put a real damper on our vacation (and my ability to use my tongue for entertainment purposes). I backed off after that but the damage had already been done.

We ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS say we aren't going to drink a lot and then as soon as we get there we start throwing them back because we are relaxed and in paradise and anxious and excited and happy and exhausted all rolled into one. SO, we always get wicked drunk day one, which then sours us on booze for day 2...but then we rally and start drinking for day 3 except now we are WAY smarter and make sure we hydrate hydrate hydrate. We don't put booze in our bubba because that could be deadly, but instead get drinks from the bar in the small cups and drink bubbas filled with ice water all day instead. We also try to stay active and swim and walk as much as possible because more than just drinking too much, you can also get very sick just ingesting alcohol and not moving around enough. No one needs a blood clot in paradise.
    Shameless Adventures

Last spring was our first visit. While I didn't get sloppy drunk, I did miss a dinner or two after failing to wake up after the after-beach nap. I also definitely crashed way too early on the nights we did do dinner. Had a great time especially being the first time being nekket. This year I look forward to pacing myself more. Kudos to my lady putting up with me (damn, I'm a lucky guy).
    Popped our cherry with Kitten and Angel's group, April 2015.
    Returned again with Kitten and Angel's group from April 8th to the 17th, 2016.
    Hoping to go again with K&A in 2017 (Let's just say I hope the new furnace doesn't cost too much. Who needs heat anyway?) Crossing our fingers.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    If you're at the bar when some little old guy comes up and orders "the strongest ice water ya got" then that would be me.Always gets a smile out of the bartender!Water works wonders.Too bad it took me two trips to get my game nailed down......

Now wait a gosh darn minute here! I'm so much more fun and better looking when drunk! And so are all of you!

We're all adults and I'm guessing the vast majority of us know our own limits. And tequila makes my wife's clothes fall off which really is not a bad thing. And I'm there to cut her off if need be and that does happen on occasion and never a problem.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

Quote Originally Posted by twoforfun View Post
    This year I look forward to pacing myself more.
    I've heard that many times before! LOL
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Great advice for everyone else but not me. I am a mix of russian, polish and irish. I am built for all day drinking haha. But seriously aside from a day one drinking binge that caused us to sleep through dinner I found that hydrating like crazy in the morning and sticking to beer and maybe the occasional shot in the afternoon and saving the vodka for night really worked well. We are going for ten nights this time around so I think there may be a dry recovery day here and there...maybe. 25 days!!!!
    Hedonism, the Virgin Trip: March 21-28, 2015
    Hedonism, the Sequel: 3/16-3/26, 2016. Ten days this time around because more is always better.
    Hedonism, Part 3: 3/24-4/1 2017 Swing into Spring group
    Hedonism 2018: Taking the year off to pay some damn bills. DIF is horrible!:
    Hedonism IV: 3/22-3/30 2019 Twister's Swing Break. Let's do this! Can't wait to get back!
    Hedonism V: 3/24/23-4/1/23. Finally back home again!

SLS: HedoCpl62

I am happy I found this thread. We are Hedo Virgins and will be there in a month. I asked a few people in our group how they stay hydrated and how the coffee is and they laughed at me. They said they don't drink water or coffee while at Hedo. This had me worried. I was told to bring a mug for alcohol, would you all suggest a separate mug for water? And how is the coffee? TIA!

Coffee us yummy, but will dehydrate you. Water water water! If you can't rely on your self control, I don't suggest drinks in a Bubba mug. Otherwise, go for it. I alternate water into my drinks, grab a pattie to keep the belly full, and monitor my reaction. I've overdid it before. Not fun. Honestly, being sober is almost as fun! Lol

Hedo is not the place to become a sloppy drunk. I am a big fan of all day drinking on a vacation, and try not to judge. Stick to every other drink is a water and you will survive much longer. The coffee is good but better with a splash of rum cream! Quick tip - there is an ice machine and a pop machine at the back of the nude pool which dispenses cold water. No more waiting at the bar just for water. Enjoy your trip and stay safe. Don't want to be "that guy" after all.

Registered User ButterballCoupl's Avatar
    Lower Mid-Central Western Michigan (between Lansing and Grand Rapids)
    We brought two travel cups, one for water and one for the drinks. They have bottles of water in several locations through out. That is a really good thing. Grab a few and bring them back to your room. We would drink a bottle every morning before we started the day. Drank lots of water during meals too. We never got blotto but was tipsy a couple times but under control. Had a great time except for my husband's accident. He fell off the rocks ( was sober) and screwed up his foot really bad. Still working on recovering from it and we came back the first week of April! Have a great time!
    Northaven Resort, Brooklyn, Michigan - September 2015
    Hedo II, Beach Bind Event, March 26-April 2, 2016

We use our travel cup for water and have our drinks in the cups they provide at the bar. This way our water to alcohol is two to one in favor of water. For the most part we do not order a new drink until the water is finished, this of course goes out the window sometime around 5pm. We then head to the room around 7 and its water through dinner and then drinks again around 10.

I don't drink at all, so I don't have to worry about passing out or face planting on the sidewalk. I go up to the bar and order a "Melted Snowman" in my big mug! When I tell people what I am drinking, they ask what is in a Melted snowman? I laugh and tell them, "Ice and Water!
    I am glad that I don't drink, as I don't miss out on any of the fun, and I remember my whole Hedo trip!
    I don't need alcohol to get Naked and Party! I have a blast all week long, and enjoy every minute it of it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast