Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diving at Hedo

Quote Originally Posted by TrishNYC View Post
    Does the dive shop at Hedo offer Nitrox tanks?
    We have done quite a few dives at Hedo and I do not recall seeing Nitrox tanks. You really do not need Nitrox at any of the dive spots, but it could be a nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
    We always bring our own gear and wetsuits, just a personal preference, but many dive in only their bathing suits.
    DAve
    Does Hedo let you dive without a wetsuit or bathing suit? I'm not to my 100th dive yet, but diving naked is a tradition for some on their 100th dive.

I am headed to Hedo this March and my girlfriend showed me this info. My parents were avid divers in college and I love the water. I've done some snorkeling and have years of competitive swimming in highschool, though I admit that's been a while I'm still quite capable in the water. To sum up - I'm a diving newbie but very eager to do so.

So far the options people have detailed are all interesting - home training and referral finish, Hedo resort training, or total home area training/certification. It's all been wonderful info but I'm still left with some questions. It seems like if you do the resort training you're granted a few dives but the implication is they're short/sweet/shallow and under strict supervision (not a bad thing). I'm not wanting to go wandering off into the ocean on my own but this option feels more like being hand-led through a garden with no ability to stop and enjoy something if it catches your fancy - how much freedom goes with that supervision? How much time do you get in the water in reality?

Looking over the local PADI options in my area (Austin, TX) I can get an open water certification (not 'advanced' for deep diving) for about $350. What would that grant me access/leeway to at Hedo vs just doing the resort course all the way? What is the price of the Hedo course if you do it there, is there a link someone can share that would help me dig up relevant info?

Since time is quickly drawing short I am trying to weigh options/costs/goals/time and pick what would be the most effective use of time and money. I can't tell you how excited I am to get to Jamaica in the first place, and if I can get time under the water with a tank that would simply be epic.

Hi Krieg,
    In my opinion your best option is to finish certification course at home. At least theory(without certification dives). These you can do at resort, but the better option is to do full certification. As open water diver, you will be alowed to do only shadow dives at 11.00 every morning. Normally dives are not closelly supervised and divers have enough freedom. During your first dive leader will check your skils and let you dive accordingly. I don't know much certification course is, but taking course at Hedo will pull you away from other atractions and there is a lot of them. Dives at Hedo are not very long around 35 minutes.
    Wish you a lot of fun with diving.

Quote Originally Posted by JamCouple View Post
    Does Hedo let you dive without a wetsuit or bathing suit? I'm not to my 100th dive yet, but diving naked is a tradition for some on their 100th dive.
    I never witnesed any budy diving naked. I'm pretty sure they will let you do it. I saw a video where ladies from "Naked News" were diving naked at Hedo.

There are a couple of Resort training options that are getting mixed up here I believe.
    The discovery dive option is a quick, 3 hour course that allows you to dive very shallow (35 feet) while supervised by a dive master.
    This is usually a one time training and dive and can usually costs around $75.
    At Hedo they will let you dive a couple of times, during your stay, if there are going out at that depth again.
    This training does not give you any permanent diving status and would have to be redone on your next trip.

The Padi resort course will take a couple of days and will be more detailed.
    It is a permanent status and usually costs around $400 but It will allow you to dive anywhere warm, without further training, down to a depth of 60 feet.

The Padi open water given at home will train you for diving in any conditions down to 60 feet and will cost the same or less than the resort Padi.
    You will have to do your open water diving at home so for lake diving the water is quite cold.
    If you do the Padi at home and take the referral to a warm destination, for the open water testing, it will add around $250 to the cost so total of over $600.
    The advanced padi is additional training for deeper (100 to120'), night diving, Navigation, wreck diving etc and will cost another $200 or so in addition to the OW.

We were there last month and I did a lot of diving. I have my Padi advanced for 8 years now. My partner and two of our friends did the discovery dive.
    The training they completed at Hedo was much detailed than other resorts I have been at.
    They had some classroom time and a good session in the pool to get familiar with the equipment.
    They did a 35 minute dive at around 35' depth and had a great time.
    The amount of supervision depends on your comfort level in the water.
    All three new divers did well in our group so the dive master was just a guide, showing different interesting things to look at.
    If you are having more difficulty the trainer will spend more time with you.
    They are excellent and I would highly recommend the dive team at Hedo.
    Have a great time.
    Hedo ll Dec 21 to 28th, 2014
    Hedo ll Dec 13th to 27th, 2015
    Hedo ll Dec 13th to Dec 29th, 2016
    Hedo ll Dec 9th to Dec 23rd, 2017
    Hedo ll December 2018
    Hedo ll Dec 2019
    Hedo ll Dec 2021

I would advise you get in a pool and start swimming! A rash guard is ok for diving, but you won't need a traditional wet suit. If you're still worried about it, a spring suit is more than enough. I would definitely go for it. I've never heard anyone complain about it. I stick with snorkeling because I'm way too afraid to scuba!

Do the class work at home, get the referral letter and do the 2 days, 2 dives daily open water I certification dives at H2. Best use of your time and then after you can dive all you want, of course provided your above water time is sufficient.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

We do have an amazing dive team at Hedo. My husband got his certification there almost 10 years ago and he was very pleased with the whole experience and loves scuba diving. If any of you would like to reach out to the dive team about specific questions, feel free to email our Water Sports Mgr, Clifton Ritchie. He is extremely helpful and responsive. His email address is cliftonritchie@hedonism.com.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info and I agree, Clifton makes everyone feel right at home.
    Hedo ll Dec 21 to 28th, 2014
    Hedo ll Dec 13th to 27th, 2015
    Hedo ll Dec 13th to Dec 29th, 2016
    Hedo ll Dec 9th to Dec 23rd, 2017
    Hedo ll December 2018
    Hedo ll Dec 2019
    Hedo ll Dec 2021

Quote Originally Posted by n21774 View Post
    Ditto the prev responses. To do resort or cert course will take away from beach or pool time. If you have the time check out a local padi shop. They can give you a completion letter. Finish your dives at hedo. You may not go on the 90 ft dive if u r not advanced my 2 cts. Andy
    I went on 2 deep dives during my week there.... but we never exceeded 65 feet during either dive... but they may have additional sites I didn't get to. I would have had to bring a shovel to go deeper!

So I'm getting my certification this week. What equipment should I bring vs get provided by Hedo?

I've got a snorkel/mask/fins which are easy enough to pack and not too heavy. Should I get my own wetsuit (do they have 'tall' ones to work with), or computer?

I have about a dozen dives over two different holidays at Hedo. I did not use a wet suit at any time or feel it was required. I did wear a t-shirt, just to have something between my skin and the BCD. A number of the other divers also did not use a wet suit, however some did. Those that did either had a 3 Mil suit or something like that or something that was more like a stretchy coverall, which I think is just to protect the skin from rubs or other friction contact. The water is generally pretty warm. The first time I only brought my Mask, Fins, Snorkel and Dive Computer. Second time I also brought my own Reg/BCD as well. They do provide Regulators and BCD's, which were in very good shape and they also have weights, and belts. They also do have Masks and Fins for snorkeling, so suspect you could use them diving too. They have a really good set-up at the Dive office, where they have storage for your equipment during your stay. The Dive Masters and assistance are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    I have about a dozen dives over two different holidays at Hedo. I did not use a wet suit at any time or feel it was required. I did wear a t-shirt, just to have something between my skin and the BCD. A number of the other divers also did not use a wet suit, however some did. Those that did either had a 3 Mil suit or something like that or something that was more like a stretchy coverall, which I think is just to protect the skin from rubs or other friction contact. The water is generally pretty warm. The first time I only brought my Mask, Fins, Snorkel and Dive Computer. Second time I also brought my own Reg/BCD as well. They do provide Regulators and BCD's, which were in very good shape and they also have weights, and belts. They also do have Masks and Fins for snorkeling, so suspect you could use them diving too. They have a really good set-up at the Dive office, where they have storage for your equipment during your stay. The Dive Masters and assistance are top notch.
    Yes the wet suit would be for skin protection rather than warmth, I suppose I can get by without it. I'm still tempted by the dive computer though. I found one in my budget ($200) - nice and simple - that gets good reviews. Familiar with the "Cressi Leonardo Wrist Computer" at all? I tried posting a link but the forums said GTFO with that so you'll have to google it.

My main reluctance with buying gear is that being in central Texas, I don't know what my options are for keeping up the dive hobby without it being prohibitively expensive for trips to the coast or dive-centric vacations.

I only dive with my own regulator since that's what keeps me alive. Computer is light to carry. I also prefer my own mask because it's my fit and I don't want leaking. Everything else I don't mind borrowing/renting. I also bring a weight belt with pockets since straps put the weights against your skin which I find uncomfortable.

I've never dived Jamaica because it's not a coral island and guess the marine life is fair at best but I'm sure others will chime in. I've dove extensively in the Caymans, Outer Bahamas, Cozumel, Belieze and cave diving on the Mexican mainland.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast