Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving at Hedo

Diving at Hedo

Hi all

I know this is the place to get all the info before our April 2016 Trip, so please help if you can. Me and him are a little larger build but we are working on that he he. We are looking at trying to do some diving whilst there but neither of us has done any before. What lessons can we get, do they have spare wet suits etc and can we go out diving whilst we are there?

Thanks

Lisa xx
    Second time to Hedo April 6th 2016 come and say Hi!!!

Yes diving is included at Hedo in the daily rate. You have to be PADI certified in order to dive and you can take the course down there but a lot of people say it's better to take it at home first before arriving. Not sure about borrowing equipment from them, I'm pretty sure you would have to have your own gear

Registered User Allan_Elizabeth's Avatar
    They do have equipment for you to use at no extra charge. Most serious divers will bring along there personal reg and a couple of other pieces. I am sure some will respond. If you are not certified you can do the course at Hedo it involves some class and pool time and is an extra charge. It would be good to check where you live for course information.

Once you have passed the course you can go out diving, they do 2 dives a day 1 shallow and 1 deep. All of our friends who dive really enjoy the diving at Hedo.

If you like to party -drink you have to remember when you are diving you have to be careful with you intake

Next trip Dec 15 - 21 2019

We, and many in our group (we pretty much fill the boat), dive every day we are there. The dives and gear are included in your resort fee. There are some wetsuits in the dive shack, however I could not say if they are personal or for use by guests. We always bring our own gear and wetsuits, just a personal preference, but many dive in only their bathing suits.
    Divers certified by any of the recognized training agencies around the world are welcome to dive at HEDO, but you must be certified advanced or above to get on the 9am deep dive.
    As you are not certified divers, HEDO does offer a discover scuba course, for a fee, that gives you condensed classroom sessions, a checkout in the pool, then allows you a couple of supervised shallow dives. This discover course is not a certification but allows you to experience diving under the watchful eyes of one of the dive masters while you are there.
    If you are interested, they do offer a full open water course, again for a fee, what is often referred to as a "resort course" that will prepare you well for diving while on vacation with a group. Ritchie and the dive staff are excellent, and I know of a number of people who have done both their open water and advanced certifications with them. The course does take some time out of your day but if you are hoping to dive on future trips I highly recommend you spend the extra and take the course rather than paying each trip for discover scuba.
    As HEDO is a PADI dive center, you have a couple of options. You could do your course through your local PADI dive shop and complete your open water checkouts while at HEDO. This is referred to as a referral but is the most expensive route as you are paying both your local dive shop and HEDO. You could do the PADI online course for all the theory then do the practical portion of the course while at HEDO. Depending where you live, you may also be able to take a full course at home and be certified before you travel. If you do not have a local PADI dive shop, the dive center at HEDO does accept referrals from other recognized agencies (such as NAUI, ACUC, SSI, CMAS, BSAC etc...), however you would be best to contact them to make sure the agency you are using qualifies.
    As an instructor, my recommendation varies depending on the type of diving you think you will want to do in the future. If you are only looking to dive while on vacation with a guided group then a resort course is excellent. If your goal is to dive back home (depending where home is), then I would recommend training back home. Remember, most of the northern US, and all of Canada is considered cold water diving, and there are different considerations that will be covered that won't be discussed on a resort course.

DAve
    Last edited by dsquared; 11-25-2015 at 09:56 PM.

You do not need to be certified to experience Scuba diving at Hedo.

Hedo does offer a "resort diving course" mentioned above as the PADI Discover Scuba Diving. There is a nominal fee for the course which you pay only when completing the course. The training takes about 4 hours and involves classroom discussions and pool experiences; you get lunch between the classroom and pool.

This course is offered 4 times weekly: Mon, Tues, Thur, & Fri; the course begins at 8am at the up-top pool (shows diver's discipline; sobriety is important)

Once you have completed the course, you will be diving with your instructor the next day at 11:30am. The dive depth for this training is about 30 feet, max.; there is plenty to see in the Negril Sea.

I recommend this process as it will help convince you to become a fully certified diver using the various procedures detailed above (with some variations as you folks are from the UK).

All equipment is included for no additional fees.

As to wetsuits, most folks do not need them as the water temp is above 80F (sometimes well above 80F). A t-shirt and a swimsuit is all you need (well, sometimes neither is used by some).

The Hedo process for those who want to experience scuba is very, very simple. BTW, the instructor's nick-name is seaweed.

When you arrive, go to the watersports hut (near the c/o beach grill) and indicate your desire.
    Last edited by Passion4Diving; 11-26-2015 at 09:06 AM.

The 2 detailed responses above are bang on....been too long dsquared.

Ditto the prev responses. To do resort or cert course will take away from beach or pool time. If you have the time check out a local padi shop. They can give you a completion letter. Finish your dives at hedo. You may not go on the 90 ft dive if u r not advanced my 2 cts. Andy

The resort course is divided into two segments lasting about 2 hours each leaving plenty of beach/pool time in-between the two segments. In my book, it is not very big time absorber.

Many thanks for all the responses, Looks like we may get some water diving done after all.

Lisa xx
    Second time to Hedo April 6th 2016 come and say Hi!!!

Must admit...We felt misled by the SUBJECT line of this topic and got overly excited.

The PADI website is a good resource about the types of courses...including the "resort course" which PADI does recognize. My wife and I actually did our PADI Advanced Open water at Hedo in 2013. Very well taught! Although it did cut into out nude pool and evening party time as we had to "study" for the in-class and in-water lesson each day! I doubt the resort course will be so demanding! And I must say the Jamaican instructors and guides we have had the pleasure of diving with are top notch! They take their diving pretty seriously...with regards to safety!
    2011 August 14 -20th
    2013 July 14 - 20th

2016 March 12-19th with WWV and The Hedo Amigos

2017 March 11-18th with WWV and The Hedo Amigos
    2019 March 8th - 15th with WWV and The Hedo Amigos
    2020 March 14th - 16th with WWV and The Hedo Amigos

My wife and I are both divers and have dove with the dive shop at Hedo. The information above is spot on. I do advise drinking and partying in moderation if diving.

Does the dive shop at Hedo offer Nitrox tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa+Sean View Post
    Many thanks for all the responses, Looks like we may get some water diving done after all.

Lisa xx
    those guys are a fun dive team! you run the chance to see squid, lobster, crab, many rays, tons of lion fish, puffer fish, and a rainbow or tiny little "Nemo" kind of fish. baracuda and marlin is not impossible.

we'll be diving there next week, can't wait... this is our forth trip we have at least 20 dives at Hedo, so much fun! and yes we do wear bathing suits lol safety first

cheers
    KM

Quote Originally Posted by TrishNYC View Post
    Does the dive shop at Hedo offer Nitrox tanks?
    To be straight to the point NO as it was told to us last year by the divemasters there is MAYBE one nitrox fill station in the whole country of Jamaica
    H2 3/29-4/6/14 first trip Virgins no more
    H2 4/25 - 5/3 15
    H2 4/30-5/8 16
    H2 4/29-5/7 17
    H2 4/28-5/5/18
    H2 4/27-5/4 19
    FUCK YOU RONA 20
    H2 4/10-4/19 21
    H2 4/9-4/16 22
    Hedo 4/15/ 23 - 4/22/23

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast