Thread: Hurricane Season ??

Blog Entries

Hurricane Season ??

We do not have hurricanes in South Africa! My wife and I are planning a trip to New York and Hedo for the last week in October 2016 (would love to visit Hedo during Halloween), but we are not sure in which months the hurricane seasons are in New York and the Caribbean. Would it be perhaps more advisable to go towards the end of November?

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi there.....I live in Florida but travel to the Caribbean frequently year-round. The hurricane season is also often referred to as the "rainy" season--which is more common.

Here in North America the "official" hurricane season is June 1 to November 30 however, early (June) or late season (Nov.) full-strength hurricanes are rare.

I travel with my group to Hedo the 3rd week of June and have never had any hurricane or even tropical storm issues. Most weather-related issues occur in our mid-summer (July-August) and early fall (September-October).

You Halloween date for Hedo would likely be a safe travel time

Here is a link to Jamaica hurricanes since 1865: http://stormcarib.com/climatology/MKJS_all_isl.htm
    It looks like the last October hurricane was 1949 and last November hurricane was 1994

There is always travel insurance also if you are really concerned.

I hope that helps/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnaSands View Post
    We do not have hurricanes in South Africa! My wife and I are planning a trip to New York and Hedo for the last week in October 2016 (would love to visit Hedo during Halloween), but we are not sure in which months the hurricane seasons are in New York and the Caribbean. Would it be perhaps more advisable to go towards the end of November?
    We locals use this to help us with the Hurricane season:

"June: Too soon
    July: Stand by
    August, MUST
    September: Remember
    October: All over"

There are the odd late season storms in November & December, but the only year I remember storms that late was 2004/2005.

So your October/November plans should be good.....

(Hope you are not an insurance actuary - the above odds would mean you would NEVER visit...)!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for replies.

Native NYC resident here, Johna. We don't get hurricanes every year, but when we do they can be bad i.e. Superstorm Sandy. They are most likely 11/1 to 12/15. I would suggest one of the nicest times to visit us is from 9/10 to 10/15. Schools go back the first week in September so lines are much shorter and school field trips have not kicked in. Mid September can be beautiful here.....maybe 65 to 75 degrees and crystal blue skies, and the humidity is much lower in general. The first week of October is generally the first cold snap of the year with highs only in the 40's or low 50's. September 10 to 25 is really ideal. I can't comment on Hedo at that time, as we are die hard members of Krewe de Krazy and go mid June every year.
    Last edited by Jointlock; 04-24-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Our first trip to Hedo we landed in MoBay during tropical storm Nicole. Didn't even get to resort till day 2 because road washed out. Rained hard for 4 days. Even still had a GREAT time. People at Hedo really know how to making lemonade out of lemons come true.

In spite of Hurricane Sandy and the other 1-2 major storms in the last 4 years (forgot the name), NY hurricanes are extremely rare. The odds of 1 being here during your visit are small but of course...a never know. We love October weather, change of seasons, colorful leaves best seen in Central Park week 2 and 3 October. Expect daytime temps of 55+- and cool evening that can dip to the 30's.

We are planning a Hedo trip for the week 10/25-11/1 Halooween too. If you come to NY outside of those dates, we'd be happy to meet for a drink and show you a little of our NY ie real NY pizza not tourist pizza. PM us if your trip pans out and you'd like to meet!
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the replies.