Thread: Roots Explosion, a fabulous experience

Roots Explosion, a fabulous experience

since I was @ hedo for the first time I liked the live band that plays music in the background during dinner. At home unfortunatelly I seldom have the chance to assist on live band gigs.
    once the shows, which I mostly absolutely like and appreciate (the ECs do a lot of training and put all their energy in them) are over, the "real" live music starts. I do enjoy sooo much to listen and to watch the guys who are excellent musicians. especially when they play local island tunes they seem to lighten up and get a smile on their faces. On some occasions they have a singer with them who enhances their performances. I love to see how music is made, reggae or reggae versions of old and new songs are so special to me.
    what I don't like so much, is when they have to play mainstream songs. especially when they start with Bryan Adams hits I immediately stand up and take the time to go for a hand made bio cigarette. then usually, when I come back, everything is all right and they finished their "must do" repertoire and I can even enjoy and let go the music to my head and move my body more than before.
    This is no try to complain about something, just my personal view. I do highly respect all other views.
    what irritates me from my first visit is, that most people leave the dining area after the shows and only a few do appreciate their efforts. On some evenings me and a few others are there and some times I am the only one who applauds between one track and the other. Sometimes they even switch from one title to the other with ease, so no applause.
    don't get me wrong, there are some songs from Bryan Adams, and not only him, that I like but absolutely cannot hear when on the island of pleasure, vibe and fun. I understand that most vacationers want to get ready for piano bar or just want to follow their hedo rituals. And I also respect other tastes of music, no problem at all.

on my last visit I had the chance to meet and talk to 2 of the band members. it was so cool and interesting to listen to their stories about music and their life...
    they noticed me a while ago and let me know that they could see my admiration and highly appreciate it. after feeling a bit confident with them I had the idea to ask if they could play a song for me. they asked me the name of it but unfortunately never heard about it. they didn't even know the band. I gave them song and band and they let me know, they will try to find out about it.
    the next day in the late afternoon I was walking by the stage to go to the front desk and heard tunes that where familiar to me. all 4 where there with headphones on and tried to play my music. what a pleasant surprise.
    in the evening after the show when they saw me coming back to enjoy the evening with live music they started to play my song. it is a 40 year old kinda R&B/Soul title that I am listening to like for 25 years. never had the chance to hear it played by a live band. the original is a instrumental track of the old, so called "Memphis soul". what an amazing experience, I got goose bumps. I thought they even would play it better then the original. seriously, they are great musicians, and it looked to me that they had a lot of fun while playing it.
    on the break I talked to them again and they confirmed that they do like it and would probably add it to their regular repertoire. makes me so proud of it. now, when I hear that song I close my eyes and see them playing it.
    I know, rhythm and blues is not local island music but it is the kind of music (and many other kinds) these guys are too good to play in a extraordinary way. I am no musician at all and have no idea if it is normal and easy to learn how to play a song for professional musicians within a few hours of tries and without notes. the original is a 8 minute track of Booker T. & the M.G.'s . some guests may know that kind of music and if it was added to their repertoire for real, may have heard it playing. I love it. I also love to listen and move to reggae music, especially in Jamaica, did I mention that before? my everyday music is kind of a bit of everything, actual pop music and evergreens, from Taylor Swift to Elvis, pop, jazz, r&b, soul, funk, rock, even classic and party music and many more, but when in Jamaica definitely reggae and ska.

So glad to have booked my 5th time in 4 years for 2 weeks in April. I know where I will spend some evening hours after the shows have finished, drinking rum and get happy by listening to music. eating awesome food, going to dive, get a full body tan for next summer, meet happy people and experience a relaxing time at home in the carribean sea with nice and friendly staff and vacationers.... 70 days to go! Yah Mon! every day can be so different, dipending who is on the resort, who has come and who has left, makes every day so unique.

Since I have booked I am back to listen Bob Marley a lot while driving my car. Lets me get mentally closer to departure.

RESPECT for Roots Explosion!

Anyone shares some of my views?

jamming
    Last edited by jamming; 02-11-2015 at 03:19 AM.

The hubby and I love live music, hell we love music in general. However, it does displease me a bit when we book a Jamaican trip and have to listen to music we can find in the States. We absolutely love reggae, in all forms, and would love to hear it a lot more. We have not stayed for the band to play because of their first few songs being "Americanized"...but if they just play those few songs to get started and then turn their sights to Reggae, maybe we will stick around a few nights and see what they have up their sleeves. It is good to know that they will work hard at pleasing guests and take their music seriously. Thanks for write-up!
    **EX** Hosts of the Nood Brood (we are out of the hosting game now)

www.noodbrood.com

We still highly recommend Nood Brood though, lots of wonderful friends!

We have been fans of Roots Explosion since our first visit 5 years ago. They are definitely gifted musicians. Those guys can play anything...and play it well!
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    What a nice post. I just love those guys and everyday wish they could just lay back and wail.. Occasionally they do get a bit of a chance to cut loose but not often enough.

I am totally into music and agree with you about the top 40. Our DJ does it too, but it's what get requested. I bring an Ipod boombox so I got the Reggae.

You've heard the saying the Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll. Well, R&B had a baby and they named it Reggae. Lots of R&B in Jamaica over the years. Lots of everything wonderful about music in Jamaica. Beautiful voices, great musicians. I'm sure I've got that Book T song was it Green Onions? Nice B3 organ sound? Smooth, LOL

I'll be there in April, look for the boombox

Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

thanks for the replies
    I love most titles of B.T. & the M.G.s. green onion is their most famous track. but the one I was telling in my post is melting pot. a true piece of musical art and history. it has everything in it. the melody is made by b3 organ, the bass goes under your skin, guitar has it's peaks too and the drummer is busy all the time. starts slow and has some faster peaks... have heard it a 1000 times and once live on stage :-)
    booker t and his band was and still is organ, bass, guitar and drums... just like roots explosion.

That was the 1 part of our 1st Jamaican holiday that shocked us....how little reggae we actually heard at the 2 resorts we stayed at (HII & Sandals). Bizarre and inexplicable. We expected to hear so default reggae and ska 24/7 but instead got Casey Kasem (too soon?). We would love to see a live band by the nude beach/pool day or night. Seems obvious.
    Hedo II 4 Trips
    Cap D'ade 2 Trips + Summer ‘21?
    Desire RM 1 trip