Thread: 2015 smoking policies?

2015 smoking policies?

I'd like to try and make this thread an accurate accounting of where you can/cannot smoke while on the resort. Please, let's not turn this into a "how great or how horrible" the new smoking policies are, or whether you are or are not allergic to smoke, etc. I've spent the last several hours trying to find accurate information on this topic and it does not seem to be readily available in any clear form.

So far as I can make out, smoking is prohibited in (at least) all of the following places:
    The entire nude pool/hot tub area, including Delroy's bar (some signs have been removed, presumably by guests).
    The courtyard between the dining area and the piano bar.
    Private patios attached to the guest rooms.
    Within a certain distance of any food service area.

Smoking seems to be permitted at:
    Prude pool deck.
    Smoking area behind the piano bar.
    Between the piano bar courtyard and the tennis courts.

In practice, from the replies in this thread, smoking seems to occur at the following places in spite of the ban:
    Walkways to rooms.
    Patios attached to rooms.
    Nude pool area (possibly at Delroy's bar as well, though that is clearly not supposed to be the case).

Can anyone elaborate further? Dropping multiple thousands of dollars on a vacation to sit in a penalty box for a good chunk of your trip is something you should be able to educate yourself about ahead of time. If I am to assume I am correct in the above, where does someone who's at the nude pool go to smoke a cigarette? Walk down the beach? To the point? Along the pathways?
    Last edited by ColonelPanic; 01-17-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Updated with info from thread.
    H2 Trip #10: June 14-30, 2014

I believe you can't smoke at the bar but can smoke in the pool.
    The way it was explained to me was no smoking in covered areas. (And the courtyard)

There are two smoking areas near the courtyard/piano bar. The first one is at the back of the courtyard toward the tennis courts. The bigger one is a wrap around deck next to the windows outside the piano bar. At this smoking area guests can see the piano and action in the piano bar as well as hear the music.
    The Chemist and the Flyer

... adding the human touch.

Jamaican laws on smoking have recently changed making it illegal to smoke in any enclosed area (including under a roof in an open bar like at the nude pool) and within a certain number of feet from where food is served.

Quote Originally Posted by rast67 View Post
    Jamaican laws on smoking have recently changed making it illegal to smoke in any enclosed area (including under a roof in an open bar like at the nude pool) and within a certain number of feet from where food is served.
    Of course, technically the smoking rules apply only to tobacco.. with the decriminization of ganja there last year, this will need a new set of laws to cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
    I'd like to try and make this thread an accurate accounting of where you can/cannot smoke while on the resort. Please, let's not turn this into a "how great or how horrible" the new smoking policies are, or whether you are or are not allergic to smoke, etc. I've spent the last several hours trying to find accurate information on this topic and it does not seem to be readily available in any clear form.

So far as I can make out, smoking is prohibited in (at least) all of the following places:
    The entire nude pool/hot tub area, including Delroy's bar.
    The courtyard between the dining area and the piano bar.
    Private patios attached to the guest rooms.

Smoking seems to be permitted at:
    Prude pool deck.
    Smoking area behind the piano bar.

Can anyone elaborate further? Dropping multiple thousands of dollars on a vacation to sit in a penalty box for a good chunk of your trip is something you should be able to educate yourself about ahead of time. If I am to assume I am correct in the above, where does someone who's at the nude pool go to smoke a cigarette? Walk down the beach? To the point? Along the pathways?

In practice smoking is being done openly in the following places... this is unlikely to change, despite signs ( which have already been removed from Delroy's bar, for example)

----The entire nude pool/hot tub area, including Delroy's bar. lots of smoking there... even at the bar itself.

The courtyard between the dining area and the piano bar. -- never stopped here.. only in the new courtyard.
    Private patios attached to the guest rooms. -- guests cannot smoke within the rooms, but there are many who smoke on the patios.. especially the open air 2nd floor ones.

This is the current real practices, not the official guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    In practice smoking is being done openly in the following places... this is unlikely to change, despite signs ( which have already been removed from Delroy's bar, for example)

----The entire nude pool/hot tub area, including Delroy's bar. lots of smoking there... even at the bar itself.

The courtyard between the dining area and the piano bar. -- never stopped here.. only in the new courtyard.
    Private patios attached to the guest rooms. -- guests cannot smoke within the rooms, but there are many who smoke on the patios.. especially the open air 2nd floor ones.

This is the current real practices, not the official guidelines.
    Again... I just walked up to the main desk and asked... what I wrote was the official song and dance from the resort managment.
    Yesterday at the nude pool or at Delroy we did not really see anyone smoke (maybe by the back stairs leading up to the nude pool). In addition, stood outside of the Piano bar and did not see anyone smoke either.
    We did see a lot of people smoking on the back of their rooms and on the landing (walk way between rooms)

Thanks for the additional information. I've updated the original post to reflect what you've posted.
    H2 Trip #10: June 14-30, 2014