Thread: A Few Questions

A Few Questions

We are new to traveling to the Negril area. We are thinking about a stay at Hedo (me 50 and lovely wife 47). We have been to nude beach before (orient on St martin) but not a CO resort.

How are the beaches at Hedo? As I understand there are two one nude and one CO. A nice swimming beach is a must. Want to be able to walk into water, soft sand, no water shoes.

Is Hedo on 7 mile beach? If not could you walk there?

Another concern is the rooms. We prefer a little more plush rooms. We saw the photos of the remodeled rooms. They look ok. Any advise on room location or reports on the new rooms would be helpful.

Could someone explain the "tour groups"? I see all this information about all these different groups going to the resort at the same time. Is that uncomfortable if you are not with one of these groups? Do the groups get lower room rates? How does one sign up with these groups? Is it ok to go with one of these groups if you do not know any of them?

We are hearing a lot about seaweed in the area. Is that an issue at the Hedo beach or other beaches in Negril?

As far as off-resort trips such as a sailing trip or snorkeling trips, are those arranged by the resort?

We are looking to go on vacation either May 23 or May 30 for a week. Any other tips would be helpful.

thanks

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi there and some great newbie questions. I've only been 10 times to Hedo but have gleaned info from various resources over the years.

You will find very few similarities between Hedo & Club Orient/Orient Beach except the beach.

The main beach at Hedo can be split between clothing optional and nude only and offers white, groomed sand, shallow swim/wading areas with plenty of entry areas but as with many Caribbean beches I would always be cautious about urchins, etc by wearing aqua socks or water shoes) in any unclear waters. Drinks/food/pool are just steps away at all times and plenty of shade trees also as well as loungers. The seaweed is often collected each morning and last June there were several days where there was no visible seawood.

The new premium rooms have seen very few negative reviews with balconies and/or jacuzzi's on lanai.

The "tour" groups that attend Hedo are a way many people form social bonds and identity on property and yes, most groups have negotiated lower room rates. I can't state how other groups work but with my 9th Annual Krewe de Krazy Life group trip, there are no requirements prior to or while at Hedo to participate in any group activity. Booking must be done via the group organizer and I know in our group (last year there were 53 of us from 4 different countries) and about 50% of the "Krewe" had never met each other but by week's end we all had shared some stories.

And yes, you can walk the beach past numerous resorts all the way to Margaritaville and beyond if you want.

Off-property trips can be arranged by Hedo tour staff for reasonable prices or some groups arrange their own off-site trips--both land and water based.

Hedo has a daily complimentary snorkel trip off shore.

I wrote a tips for timers to Hedo primer in previous posts if you'd like.

Hope this helps.
    Ann, TS

We thought the beach at Hedo sucked worst in all the places we have been. We are pool people so it was not an issue for us.