Thread: Question about guest treatment...

Question about guest treatment...

So, the wife is considering letting me make reservations for us to visit Desire. We've done another all-inclusive (Couples) and one of the features of the resort we both adored was the fact that all guests regardless of what they paid were treated the same.

We've heard tales (over on the Couples forums) that other AIs (in Jamaica at least) treat guests who spent more, better (shorter waits at restaurants, etc)

Anyways...

Does anything like that happen at Desire, or is it all guests treated the same?

Thanks all,
    J&K

Blog Entries
    We've been to Desire RM 5 times (Hedo II 3 times). As for Desire RM, we were there 3 times as a "regular" guest and 2 times as a "premier" member. As a premier member there are perks you receive that a regular guest does not get. We found very little to no difference in "treatment" as far as status (regular vs premier). They value ALL customers. I do find that the more trips that are made to Desire, the more likely you will forge relationships with the staff (bar tenders, waiters, waitresses and "butlers") that serve you and other guests. At the end of the day, we felt valued and appreciated as a customer what ever our status. Have a great trip.
    Last edited by Scott Moore; 10-08-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Looking around the Desire RM site, I didn't see anything on "regular" vs "premier," is it based on number of repeat visits?

Other than that, it sounds like it's everyone equally, which will make both of us happy.

Now to start kicking around with the wife when we ought to go...

Any suggestions on that one?
    :-)

The Premier club is something you buy into, you pay a very large upfront fee for the promise of future discounts and perks. It's not a "timeshare" as many people describe it because there's no fractional ownership but rather you buy points that can be used in future visits. Believe me, you will hear all about it, you will be invited (pressured) to sit through a hard sell presentation and if you decline up front there will be several reminders throughout your stay.

The whole thing is nuts, why would I give my money upfront for the promise of future benefits that may or may nor exist? What if the resort is sold or goes out of business? (Desire Cabo?). What guarantees are there that what they tell you to make the sale will still be the case when you want to redeem your points? Basically it's an interest free loan to them without any collateral and many risks. I'll keep my money in the bank and use it as I see fit and vacation where I choose.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in how "premier" guests are treated, they're identified by gold bracelets and get priority choice of pool loungers and beach beds, spa appointments, restaurant reservations, etc. it definitely creates a status structure within the resort.

If you're intersted PM me and I can refer you to a link where this is discussed in more detail.
    Last edited by Cdn_cpl; 10-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree in part w/ Cdn_cpl on the financial aspect and risks...each person / couple assess their risk differently and will arrive at their own conclusion...We opt not to be "premier members", however, we have some close friends we've met over several trips that have offered us premier weeks under there premier membership number...you save $1000 - 1500 / trip...it takes about 5 - 6 years for payback...not great.

We profoundly disagree on the "treatment"....there are perks that premier guests get that "regular" guest do not, that "set them apart" (e.g. % off purchases at the hotel store, spa, free spa treatments, lobster dinner, a butler that caters to you, etc.)....we are / and continue to be treated as valued customers when we arrive and leave...We have not seen / nor heard in our 5 trips of couples being treated like shit because they are regular guests; however, with that said, I'm sure there as always some...

Read, call people, speak to folks, you decide....We go back April and August 2015...maybe we'll see you there.

Have a good one!

I thought I would chime in too. When we were there we found that the premier guest did get extra perks, but us "regular guests" were still treated great and service was amazing. It is just it does give it a different feel. It is kinda like going to a place that has a VIP section/line/whatever and you feel a little less of a guest because of it. But not enough to take away from the vacation, just not something I really liked. One of the great things about Hedo is you don't know when you are talking to someone if they are making $20,000 or $200,000 or their status, we are all treated the same
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Scott Moore, you are absolutely correct that everybody needs to assess if the Premier membership is right for them or not, we sat through the presentation and decided it definitely wasn't for us but we have heard others speak well of it.

I did not mean to imply that non-Premier members are treated like shit, far from it. Desire is a very upscale resort and we were treated wonderfully by all staff during the two weeks we spent there last Spring. However the OP asked if there were differences and I would say that there definitely are because of the perks that Premier members have bought into. It's a little harder to get a pool chair, a little harder to get a beach bed, etc. Not to the point where it's ruins your vacation, but definitely noticeable.

As you say read the forums, speak to people that have been. You will definitely not have a bad time at Desire.