Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Trips ?

Blog Entries
    we agree with alittle of what you are saying.... the nightly shows we are not into as we have seen it again and again... the Trivia needs to be up dated.... but the music is fine... mark plays great music... country, pop, classic what ever you ask for.... we are just back from hedo and you say the young ppl don't want to go... you couldn't be more wrong there.... there was a group of younger ppl there and the DJ that they had with them had the pool rocking.... he was great... not to take anything from Mark as we love what he plays but we also likes dj rick with the freaky friends... when we go in jan make plays what we wants to here....the dj that is there with the other group that goes there the same time we don't like.... so i guess it comes down to what you as a person likes.... we say if you don't like the music just leave the pool area or put up with it... the same as the shows at night... we don't like them so we don't stay to watch them... just our 2 cents on this.
    Hedo II jan 2012 2013--2014---
    may-- oct 2014--
    jan. Apr. Oct 2015-- Jan, April, Oct 2016
    2017, April Sept, and Oct
    2018 Orlando June 2-9
    2018 Oct

Up Cumming Trips April and Oct 2017

[QUOTE=sunbabes;216111]I guess that makes my case earlier... music from 1970 is now 55 years old.. making the listener likely about 70 to 75. Even music from 1990 is now 25 years old

You talking about me again, you'll be there before you know it!

[QUOTE=islandlife;216132]
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    I guess that makes my case earlier... music from 1970 is now 55 years old.. making the listener likely about 70 to 75. Even music from 1990 is now 25 years old

You talking about me again, you'll be there before you know it!
    Nah... i have a deal with the devil to keep me forever 25 ... we all know that aging starts in the mind and from there it creeps into the bones.

This is one reason, why we all need to think young, act young, be young.. especially at Hedo.

Then take that idea home and keep rockin'

Mark plays lots of top 40's in April when we are there. But our group is a younger group so he may cater to that a little more. He also plays some older music too. One day everyone was enjoying country so he played country most of the day (even commenting he had never played so much country before at Hedo) but we were all loving it and dancing in the pool so he saw this and kept playing it. And he also plays all requests he is asked to play. Maybe you just hit him on a bad week?
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

We requested for Mark to play the Hokey Pokey song as joke. Would you believe that over half of the nude pool was up dancing and laughing to the Hokey Pokey. Would have never thought that would happen.
    One person complained and Mark told her to look at the crowd reaction and let the song continue to the end.

I'm a metal head at heart but I have a broad appreciation for music in general.
    I wouldn't expect the crowd to listen to my preference of music because I'm the minority of the listening group.
    A few others of the commenters in this thread need to remember this theory. Majority rules in democracy.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

Hokie Pokie sounds like alot of fun...can just imagine the spontanity of a group of friends getting into some silly things dancing. The type of music doesn't really matter...It matters if everyone is having fun. The music he plays may be dated, and not island specific, but in general is pretty good. He has usually...albeit not always...played our requests.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel496 View Post
    We requested for Mark to play the Hokey Pokey song as joke. Would you believe that over half of the nude pool was up dancing and laughing to the Hokey Pokey. Would have never thought that would happen.
    One person complained and Mark told her to look at the crowd reaction and let the song continue to the end.
    That was awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel496 View Post

I wouldn't expect the crowd to listen to my preference of music because I'm the minority of the listening group.
    A few others of the commenters in this thread need to remember this theory. Majority rules in democracy.

I would like to clarify the suggestion that the minority should expect to be catered to.. just the opposite.

Firstly, music requests are not actually about "majority rule", its about servicing the minority who actually make a request.

The majority are serviced from the rest of the tunes that get played by a DJ, based upon their representation of the crowd, also not on the DJ's personal tastes.

I also wanted to point out that in my earlier posts, I complained about DJ's who did not effectively play requests, regardless of the crowd.

Some here have come specifically to Mark's defence in presenting cases where he apparently did service those requests.. this had not been my experience on more than one occasion and requests presented never made it to air.. there was a number of people making them and the net result was that this "minority" felt left out and overrun by the group.. undoubtedly unintentionally, but this is always the challenge when trying to balance the desires of groups over the guests at large.

Others here then suggested that Mark was following the tastes of the "majority" of the Tom trips peoples tastes, which I was trying to delicately suggest might not be for the OP who was asking about the group in general.. this implies shared musical tastes and demographics. Like with any group, you might find you fit in with them... or not.
    I used musical tastes as a gentle way of suggesting to the OP that this is an important criteria that many will use to judge if they want to be part of a group or not.

We have noticed that since the shutdown of H3 and with a number of the younger people coming to H2, that many have moved ( like ourselves) to bringing our own tunes while on beach.
    We have our own setup during the day and play tunes up to about 4 metres distance, so are to respect the ears of others who might not like what we choose to listen to.

The historical notion that incoming groups often overrun the rest of the customers with their taste is getting a little dated and is a perfect example of the minority of guests trying to dictate to everyone on the beach.

For this reason, we suggest that the idea of DJ's in general is giving way to small private bands of people playing their own music and that the need for having a DJ on the beach during the day for example, might be less of a benefit than a nuisance.

We would like to see especially on the nude side during the day that the house play locally appropriate Jamaican music for the general crowd, and then allow people to have private music with personal devices to suit everyone's taste.

This is especially true if you ascribe to the notion that "majority rules in a democracy".. and the group DJ is actually part of the minority of the guests within earshot of the resort.

It has NEVER been appropriate,IMHO that some groups "takeover" the soundwaves on the resort and dictate what everyone should be forced to hear... especially inappropriate is when those group members present an attitude that if you don't like it, you should leave or suffer in silence.... hardly equitable treatment.

As a result, we would see a reduced use for Dj's on resort and perhaps see them confined to the evening events for which people would have more of a choice to attend or not, and get them off the beach that we all have to share during the day.

Just our thoughts as people who have experienced dozens of DJs from even more groups in our stay at Hedo.

Hopefully, this will provide more insight into the OP's questions about the specifics of Tom's trips,its musical choices and the suitability of this group for the OP's trip.
    Last edited by sunbabes; 10-26-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Mark does not play for Tom's Trips groups when he is there, he plays for everyone at the nude pool. Our group is a prime example of that. We were not with Tom's Trips as an agent until this coming year, but the last 3 years Mark played many songs for our group and for other's not with any groups. He keeps a notepad there with him and write's down requests and checks them off when played.

Quoted out of context ( he heh )

This is totally quoted unfairly and edited out of context. Shockingly so... :
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    I would like to clarify the suggestion that the minority should expect to be catered to.. just the opposite. its about servicing the minority who actually make a request.

The majority are serviced from personal tastes.

I play, regardless of the crowd. Like with any group, you might find you fit in with them.

We have noticed that since the shutdown of H3 and with a number of the younger people coming, while on beach.

For this reason, we suggest that the idea in general is giving way to small private bands of people playing.

We would like to see especially on the nude side during the day people with personal devices to suit everyone's taste.

As a result, we would see a reduced use and get them off the beach that we all have to share during the day.

Just our thoughts as people who have experienced dozens of groups in our stay at Hedo.
    Yesss SunBabe!!!!!!
    Last edited by Calliope; 10-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Kama Sutra Week - Jan 26th - Feb 2nd, 2013
    www.hedokamasutra.com

Blog Entries
    Be careful what you hope for. Before Mark and Tom's Trips the EC's played some very contemporary Reggae? I added the question mark because it was sometimes hard to tell what it was. The Jamaicians would play some shit that was just intolerable, and we'd have to listen to it all afternoon. They did it at the Disco as well.

Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Same here. We booked with Tom's trips 4 times so far, and were always happy with their support. They helped us with this year's booking for January 2015 as well.

We will never all like the same kind of music, so whatever the DJ plays, someone will not be happy. We love EDM and rarely ever hear it at Hedo, just because it is not what the majority wants. That does not keep us from loving the place and the atmosphere.

72 more days...excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flfitguy View Post
    Michelle helped me with my January 2015 reservations. No problems and very pleasant to work with!
    The Chemist and the Flyer

... adding the human touch.

Who was the dj?

I suspect that you are confusing Mark Maze with another DJ that you believed to be representing Tom's Trips.

Tom's is great! Scott and Michelle are greats hosts, fun people and work hard to ensure their guests are taken care if! We just booked with them in March!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast