Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Trips ?

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Look on the bright side,nobody is making you listen to John Denver there yet are they?

Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    We must be talking about a different DJ then... our experience over 6 trips with this particular DJ is that he spends all his time in behind the tunes. He will "take down your request", but surprisingly the songs dont seem to ever come out of the speakers.

I remember on one specific occasion, we had over a dozen different people go up to him and make requests if they dont ask the kind of music he happens to like or think that his "crowd" likes he acts as though he has never even heard of the song or doesnt have it available.

In the 21st century we would expect that ANY DJ would have all the top 100 for the past 40 years available on request.

On our last experience with him at the nude people the collection of people around the pool asked him to stop playing entirely.. as he has kept playing the same songs day after day. Instead we preferred to listen to the local songs/reggae and local culture.. after all we are in Jamaica

We will admit that his choice in music might be enjoyed by some who like country (which do not) or old skool rock from the 70's and perhaps 80's.

This means that the crowd that would enjoy that kind of tunes would likely be in the late 50s into the 70 year old range.
    Based on our many trips around Tom's group that age demographic seems to represent the bulk of the travellers with that group.

We stated at the beginning we were looking for music that came out in the 21st century.. this DJ could not actually name 10 songs on last years current Top 40, did not know a number of the younger artists and appeared tragically out of date.

One of the challenges that Hedo faces is trying to appease the old timers, while attracting the younger visitors.

Unless the music gets updated to something contemporary, it runs the risk of the younger crowd pass it by.

We are going to be back at Hedo this January and will get to experience once again the Tom's Trips idea of music.. we don't expect it to be different.

That is one reason why we have our own music setup on the beach in order to allow our local ppl to listen to contemporary music and basically ignore the DJ.

We dont think he provides a value add, IMHO unless you are part of the older generation.
    Definitely can't be the DJ we are thinking of, Mark Maze the entertainer does games to get the crowd involved and has even went to the internet to download a song for a request for me. He always plays a broad mix of music based on what the crowd wants to hear via requests,we have traveled with Tom's a few times and always look forward to Mark being there to entertain us on our trips. He even gets on stage with Winston to sing on few nights during entertainment shows.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

Blog Entries
    We always look forward to Mark Maze, when we go for the 4th of July...he has always played my requests....when he could not find something, he played it the next day....he's a talented singer.

Hedo Hugs
    Linda & Rich

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    Mark's a good guy and takes requests all day at the pool. Had a few chances to talk with him last week while we were there and he loves new music and a wide variety of genres. A few times I gave him several lists of 2 or 3 songs in a row which he was able to play even if that meant downloading on the fly with his setup. Yes, there were a lot of songs played that I didn't enjoy or that got repetitive day after day, but to me it seemed they were being requested by the crowd in the pool. There was one time in which an old country clunker of a song got requested and he apologized over the mic, as he saw pretty much no one was feeling it except for whoever requested it.

The one HUGE compliment I will give him over all the other dj's that the resort uses is that he kept the music at a good volume level where it was loud enough for a party but not enough to kill the ears and throats (as they shout over the noise) of everyone in and around the pool.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

Michelle helped me with my January 2015 reservations. No problems and very pleasant to work with!

Blog Entries
    I totally agree and disagree, LOL. I like Mark, but I find the music repetitive. I always say I don't come all the way to Jamaica to listen to top 40, which is constant. In defense of Mark, that's what gets requested and played. He does take requests and occasionally plays something for himself, like way old skool, Deep Purple or Black Sabbath which makes me chuckle.

I haul my Ipod boombox to the beach every year just so I can hear what I want to hear. Actually it was to hear anything at all in the past as the music was non-existent just four or five years ago when the system was broken. Next they just plugged in an Ipod and let it run all day without ever touching it, whether good or bad it just played and played.

Having the boombox poolside many afternoons and being my own DJ you'd be surprised how many times someone would ask me to take off the Reggae mix or some hot party music I was playing so I could change it to (you guessed it) top 40. After a while I started doing top 40 playlists as it simply was just easier than constantly friggin with the boombox to find some Tommy TwoTone for someone. So yes I'm not a top 40 fan, but I do like Mark and I like his volume and his antics just fine.

It's the crowd, (I know I want 24/7 Raggae,) but it's the crowd that demands the top 40

See ya on the beach
    Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

I think a Reggae should be mandatory every 5 songs That way we get everything!
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Our thoughts:

Toms Trips :
    Although we’re in the UK, we have used Tom’s Trips previously in the past and wouldn’t hesitate to book with them again. We’ve since bumped into Rick & Nancy, one of the host couples for Tom’s Trips on several occasions whilst they’ve been looking after groups at Hedo and found them to be excellent hosts. On our last visit in June they organised a sunset dinner for their group at Ivans Restaurant (Catcha Falling Star Hotel) and were most welcoming for ‘outsiders’ to tag along.

Mark Maze:
    Sorry Sunbabes, but we have to totally disagree with your comments about Mark.
    We’ve been lucky enough to spend 4 weeks (2 trips) a year at Hedo, for a good few years now. We have to say that Mark Maze’s DJ slots at the nude pool are one of the big plus points when Toms Trips are at the resort. We’re not “old timers”, we’re in our 40’s, and we have a wide range of musical taste, with a CD collection ranging from Led Zeppellin to Pitbull and from Bob Marley to David Guetta. BUT what we can’t abide is the tuneless thumping music that the ‘in house’ DJ’s are far too keen to play poolside (and disco) at ridiculously high volumes. Yes, we want some vibe at the pool, but we also want to be able to hold a conversation with people standing next to us without shouting at the top of our voices.
    Ok, Mark may not focus too much on current top 40, but given the demographic of the average Hedo guest, we’d be surprised if many are that bothered. Give us (timeless) classics like Sweet Home Alabama, Paradise City and Living on a Prayer played at a decent volume any day.
    It’s fair to say, you can’t please everyone. Somebody will always want more reggae, more retro, more hip hop….etc, but we’d be surprised if there’s a DJ that ‘ticks the boxes’ for a greater percentage of paying guests than Mark does.

Quote Originally Posted by takemetonegril View Post
    I totally agree and disagree, LOL. I like Mark, but I find the music repetitive. I always say I don't come all the way to Jamaica to listen to top 40, which is constant. In defense of Mark, that's what gets requested and played. He does take requests and occasionally plays something for himself, like way old skool, Deep Purple or Black Sabbath which makes me chuckle.

I haul my Ipod boombox to the beach every year just so I can hear what I want to hear. Actually it was to hear anything at all in the past as the music was non-existent just four or five years ago when the system was broken. Next they just plugged in an Ipod and let it run all day without ever touching it, whether good or bad it just played and played.

Having the boombox poolside many afternoons and being my own DJ you'd be surprised how many times someone would ask me to take off the Reggae mix or some hot party music I was playing so I could change it to (you guessed it) top 40. After a while I started doing top 40 playlists as it simply was just easier than constantly friggin with the boombox to find some Tommy TwoTone for someone. So yes I'm not a top 40 fan, but I do like Mark and I like his volume and his antics just fine.

It's the crowd, (I know I want 24/7 Raggae,) but it's the crowd that demands the top 40

See ya on the beach
    Cheers
    We totally agree with you about the use of our own music system.. we bring our own tunes all the time now and no longer have need for any DJ's, except those who are extraordinary.. and we have meet a few.

We have already expressed our view on Mark, and think that along with many other mediocre DJ's we not longer see a need for them there.

That said, if Mark is actually playing the requests and musical tastes of the Tom's trips folks, then perhaps our concern is that our musical preferences are DEFINATELY not the preferences of the group.

We prefer a mix of local music,reggae,etc... as well as a good 21st century mix of music for evening events.

As our original posts suggested, without naming any person, we would like to see the resort get out of the 20th century and into the 21st....not just in music, but trivia questions evening shows and many other areas.

Hopefully they can manage that before we enter the 3rd decade of the the 21st century they can get out of the 7th decade of the 20th.

Registered User cnjcpl4whatever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    We have been during the Tom's Trips window many times and even booked via them on occasion.

That said, we might be a sole dissenting voice that would suggest that music and DJ at those events is desperately dated and needs to be replaced with more timely and appropriate tunes.

No matter how many times we ( or dozens of others) tried to introduce music or requests to the DJ he seems to have his same small genre of personal tunes that does nothing to reflect the musical desires of the crowd and are stuck in time.

We would strongly suggest that this DJ be discontinued at all Tom's Trips events as having house music would be a great improvement over what is presented
    Hi Sunbabes you are not alone trust us, we have been there several times and had the same experience . There is a small group of about 10 of us that either leave the pool or grin and bare it, not going to argue with anyone about this because either you like him or you don't period.
    RESPECT EVERYTIME
    ALL THE TIME,
    JOHN & TERRY
    April 17th to 29rd 2023 Trip 18

Quote Originally Posted by cnjcpl4whatever View Post
    Hi Sunbabes you are not alone trust us, we have been there several times and had the same experience . There is a small group of about 10 of us that either leave the pool or grin and bare it, not going to argue with anyone about this because either you like him or you don't period.
    Nice to know we are not alone

See you on the beach in Dec/Jan

Mark was very nice and did play any requests we had. We also bring our own tunes for the beach. When it comes to music in public areas you will never please everyone there is just so many tastes and variety. But We're always up for more reggae!
    Past Trips:
    November: 2008, 2011, 2012
    October: 2016
    January: 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020

Upcoming Trip: January 19th - 31st 2021

Registered User cnjcpl4whatever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2naughty View Post
    Mark was very nice and did play any requests we had. We also bring our own tunes for the beach. When it comes to music in public areas you will never please everyone there is just so many tastes and variety. But We're always up for more reggae!
    Yes naughty more reggae
    RESPECT EVERYTIME
    ALL THE TIME,
    JOHN & TERRY
    April 17th to 29rd 2023 Trip 18

Blog Entries
    I've always used Tom's Trips to book my Hedo vacations and they have never let me down! Everything goes smoothly when Tom's Trips handles my travel arrangements.

I know from personal experience that DJ Mark Maze does take requests and plays those requests, but he mostly caters to whatever his nude poolside audience wants to hear--party music. On my last Trip, he played some country, some reggae, some Top 40, but most people wanted to hear Classic/Hard Rock from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s and that's mostly what he played.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Joe View Post
    I know from personal experience that DJ Mark Maze does take requests and plays those requests, but he mostly caters to whatever his nude poolside audience wants to hear--party music. On my last Trip, he played some country, some reggae, some Top 40, but most people wanted to hear Classic/Hard Rock from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s and that's mostly what he played.

I guess that makes my case earlier... music from 1970 is now 55 years old.. making the listener likely about 70 to 75. Even music from 1990 is now 25 years old making the listener about 40 to 45.

So regardless if its Mark's personal taste or those of the attendees of the Tom's trip events, its still 20th century seriously old skool tunes.

My original request was to at least play music from the 21st century... so at year 2000 that would make the average listener about 30 to 35.

If Hedo wants to attract the 30 somethings, they need to cater to the new tunez those people like.

This also applies to the nightly shows, trivia and other items that Hedo puts on... its all mostly from the 1980 and needs to be brought up to date and into the 21st century.

This is one reason why the younger crowd is not coming to the resort... its starting to look like your grandparents playground.. and that will tend to make the younger set shy away.
    Last edited by sunbabes; 10-24-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast