Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chik-V (Chikungunya Virus) Outbreak in jamaica

Chik-V (Chikungunya Virus) Outbreak in jamaica

This is pretty scary stuff. It seems that it is mostly in the eastern part of the Island, but recent reports are stating epidemic in ALL areas of Jamaica.
    Does anyone have any information on weather this is running rampant in the Resort areas and in Negril specifically.

We have a trip coming up in 6 days!! But really don't want to deal with this Virus. Should we postpone?

It's not going away, throughout most of the caribbean now and into some parts of the southern states. Never really had a problem with mosquitoes in Negril, and the kind that transmits this virus is a daytime biter. Deet is your friend, take some bug juice and you should be fine. No guarantees in life, but adequate protection is your friend.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2sneets View Post
    This is pretty scary stuff. It seems that it is mostly in the eastern part of the Island, but recent reports are stating epidemic in ALL areas of Jamaica.
    Does anyone have any information on weather this is running rampant in the Resort areas and in Negril specifically.

We have a trip coming up in 6 days!! But really don't want to deal with this Virus. Should we postpone?
    It has not hit the western side of the island the way it has clobbered the eastern side (where Kingston is). So go & enjoy-bring lots of mosquito spray & use liberally!!

It has spread through the Caribbean & Latin America rapidly in the past few years, so no matter where you go, it will be there.

Negril has never really had a mosquito problem & all the hotels are vigilant about controlling the factors that encourage the growth of the little buggers.
    Last edited by L&I; 10-05-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Once upon a time,back in the 20th century,I remember municipalities would spray a smokey pesticide to kill mosquitoes.It worked too.Don't know if they still do it but we have had reports of Chikinguya in Florida I heard.Maybe time to bring out the fumigation equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nudists View Post
    Once upon a time,back in the 20th century,I remember municipalities would spray a smokey pesticide to kill mosquitoes.It worked too.Don't know if they still do it but we have had reports of Chikinguya in Florida I heard.Maybe time to bring out the fumigation equipment.
    we must still live back in them old days as they still spray where we live, saw it just the other day!!

So I am wondering if they still have uv light insect killers in the parking lots in Florida like they used to?
    Those things were effective!

At least it is not deadly like Ebola. Miserable like the flu. This may be the first time I will have wear something on my nude body? Deet. Ugh....

The resort seems to do a good job on pest control, I have seen many times where they have fogged for pests. Insects generally do not bother me and I have never had issues with pests at Hedo .
    Bob

Back again !
    Hedo 2 6-16-25 2017with The Hedo Rockers !
    Group Info
    www.wildwomenvacations.com
    www.hedorockers.com
    Hedo Amigo's 3 -11-18 2017 !
    Hero Amigo Lite 9-30-10-7-2017 !
    NYE's 2017 .. 12-25-30 !

insects and pests can mean two different things, lol.
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Just heard from a friend that her bug-control man who fogs for mosquitos just got the Chik-V... Oh, the irony!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    The resort seems to do a good job on pest control, I have seen many times where they have fogged for pests. Insects generally do not bother me and I have never had issues with pests at Hedo .
    Bob
    Last January a bee's nest was discovered in a tree near the water slide. A worker went up to smoke them out and accidentally set the tree on fire...got rid of the bees though! LOL
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

As far as I can recall,I have yet to encounter a mosquito when we have been in April.Have not noticed the "sand fleas" or whatever people say are on the beach at night but have had very limited beach time at night so far.Since I take garlic,they may not like the way I smell or it could be a wives tale,but at least the vampires have been leaving me alone since I started taking it for sinus issues etc.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
    Last January a bee's nest was discovered in a tree near the water slide. A worker went up to smoke them out and accidentally set the tree on fire...got rid of the bees though! LOL
    we remember that...
    Hedo II jan 2012 2013--2014---
    may-- oct 2014--
    jan. Apr. Oct 2015-- Jan, April, Oct 2016
    2017, April Sept, and Oct
    2018 Orlando June 2-9
    2018 Oct

Up Cumming Trips April and Oct 2017

As far as I can recall,I have yet to encounter a mosquito when we have been in April.Have not noticed the "sand fleas" or whatever people say are on the beach at night but have had very limited beach time at night so far.Since I take garlic,they may not like the way I smell or it could be a wives tale,but at least the vampires have been leaving me alone since I started taking it for sinus issues etc.......
    I eat tons of garlic and get bites still! Plus I have sinus issues! Lol
    The Mosquitos didn't leave us alone. My legs were all bit up. I suggest Off! w/deet!
    Shizelle ~n~ Dave
    April 21 - 28, 2018
    October 17 - 27, 2018
    Playful Pussycats

http://www.theplayfulpussycats.com

http://www.wildwomenvacations.com

We live in west coast of Florida and golf a lot in later afternoon...we started taking daily B1 vitamin tabs and the little buggers buzz us but don't seem to bite...might want to try
    Karen & Richard
    Hedonism 2 - Nov 18-25, 2014
    Saint Maarten - Club Orient & Orient Beach - Jan 16-26, 2015
    Desire RM - Apr 13-22, 2015
    Saint Maarten - Orient Beach - Nov 22-Dec 6, 2015
    Saint Maarten - Nov 21-Dec 5, 2016
    Desire Pearl - May 11-May19, 2017
    Bliss Cruise - Nov 25 -Dec 3, 2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast