Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtyard Renovations

Quote Originally Posted by lauraff7 View Post
    IMO, it seriously detracts from the all-inclusive feel and concept. (First it was the airport transport, then a special "wine" bar, wi-fi in your room is not included, etc.) Makes you wonder what is next.
    The airport transfers was something that affected all resorts. It had to do with how they were accounting for the transfers in their price and the way they were taxed. Even after they added the wine bar in the rear of the dining room, it had no affect on what had always been served. As for the WiFi, there are a lot of resorts and hotels that charge for it. Next door at Sandals, WiFi is only free if you book the top category room. Here in the US, Marriott charges for WiFi but their more budget brands such as Courtyard and Spring Hill Suites do not. Why begrudge them because they want to offer people something extra if they are willing to pay for it.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

Why begrudge them because they want to offer people something extra if they are willing to pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Because at $400+ a night there are certain things you should expect not to have to pay for. I can't imagine internet costing the resort that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ajv767fo View Post
    Why begrudge them because they want to offer people something extra if they are willing to pay for it.
    Because at $400+ a night there are certain things you should expect not to have to pay for. I can't imagine internet costing the resort that much.[/QUOTE]

Won't there be free wifi in the courtyard?

Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    Any signs around the piano bar?

Yes, but they have set up a smoking area outside the back door of the piano bar.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonflixxx View Post
    Won't there be free wifi in the courtyard?
    Yes there is.

Why begrudge them because they want to offer people something extra if they are willing to pay for it.
    Because at $400+ a night there are certain things you should expect not to have to pay for. I can't imagine internet costing the resort that much.[/QUOTE]

Every hotel I have gone into, even those with price points ~$300 and NOT AI, if I ask for a Cappuccino or a Vanilla Latte, I expect to pay for it. They are offering something they never have before to those that want it. BTW, Hedo has ALWAYS charged for WiFi.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!

Because at $400+ a night there are certain things you should expect not to have to pay for. I can't imagine internet costing the resort that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by HedoJoe View Post
    Every hotel I have gone into, even those with price points ~$300 and NOT AI, if I ask for a Cappuccino or a Vanilla Latte, I expect to pay for it. They are offering something they never have before to those that want it. BTW, Hedo has ALWAYS charged for WiFi.
    Yeah it's funny, usually when I have stayed at dirt cheap hotels where I have paid $70 to $150 per night, they usually have had free wifi. More expensive hotels ($200 - $400+) usually never have it for free, in my experience. Just one of those quirks of the hotel industry I guess.

I personally wouldn't want free wifi all over Hedo. The way they have it now is perfect IMO. If they provide free wifi everywhere, I would foresee more guests constantly messing with their phones, ipads, tablets, laptops, etc all over the resort (which would be especially annoying at the nude beach/pool) instead of socializing. I like keeping that limited to one area.
    Last edited by TheRaam; 10-17-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

Quote Originally Posted by HedoJoe View Post
    Because at $400+ a night there are certain things you should expect not to have to pay for. I can't imagin internet osting the resort that much.
    Every hotel I have gone into, even those with price points ~$300 and NOT AI, if I ask for a Cappuccino or a Vanilla Latte, I expect to pay for it. They are offering something they never have before to those that want it. BTW, Hedo has ALWAYS charged for WiFi.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about cappuccino/coffee, don't drink the stuff so I could care less if its free or not. But like TheRaam said, I've been in $75/nt hotels that have had free internet. So if they can afford it so can Hedo. I don't like being nickel and dimed when I just forked over $430 a nite for a week.

My point is that I choose an ALL INCLUSIVE because of the word "All." We are not wealthy, and when I vacation, I deliberately choose places that I can afford, and I LOVE all-inclusives because I can make a decision about affordability BEFORE I go (when I am rational, not drinking, etc. etc.), and once there, never have to think about money during the vacation. Don't get me wrong, I love Hedo and have been there over a dozen times. I am just making the point that, which each new "pay as you go" item, in my opinion, it detracts a little more from the wonderful anything goes, leave your wallet behind, atmosphere that I like.

We have been to other AI's less expensive than Hedo that have a coffee shop included in the AI charge. I agree with others that say and AI should mean just that, we like them because we pay up front and we're not constantly pulling out our wallet all week.

Totally agree with TheRaam, having wifi available in the courtyard is a great solution, if I need to I can check my messages quickly once a day, I don't need it all around the resort. It's great to hear the new courtyard will be smoke free.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Not to muddy the waters here but if I wanted to hang out in the new coffee bar or wine bar do they also offer the the AI coffee and wine in those areas?Or is it strictly for guests willing to pony up for the "special" stuff?

I love the coffee at the resort. Would I try the coffee bar. Probably but I really do enjoy my coffee. It doesn't really bother me personally that they charge for it. But some good points were made above. If it was included I'm sure price would go up. Do they get enough repeat business that it could be included probably. In the end it is what it is.

As for wifi nice to have some free spots. Need it everywhere prob not. Technology is an after thought once the warm Jamaican breeze hits us!
    Past Trips:
    November: 2008, 2011, 2012
    October: 2016
    January: 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020

Upcoming Trip: January 19th - 31st 2021

Quote Originally Posted by suesbob View Post
    Yes, but they have set up a smoking area outside the back door of the piano bar.
    As someone physically impacted by smoke (of any source) I am SO happy to read this!
    Happy happy happy!

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    As someone physically impacted by smoke (of any source) I am SO happy to read this!
    Happy happy happy!
    Big Ditto!!!Smoking is SOO 20th Century!!

Don't usually weigh in on these debates, but I have to say something here.

I was in the liquor store the other day holding on to a bottle of wine that cost $1120 a bottle. Not saying Hedo will carry that wine (or one as expensive) in the wine bar but it is totally unreasonable to expect to have a bottle of wine, by the glass, at an all inclusive that exceeds $4 per glass in cost. I really enjoy wine and the house wine at Hedo is barely passable (I'm not a wine snob, but I don't drink it). But I don't expect the ownership to purchase $50 bottles of wine to include it free in my AI package. If I want free wine, I can get it. If I'm willing to pay a little extra to get something special, that's a nice option.

If you don't want the higher priced wine, don't buy it. Drink the free stuff, or stick to beer and cocktails. But please don't begrudge those of use who might be okay with buying a bottle of wine over and above the AI package.

Nobody is being nickle and dimed here. The courtyard will be a place where you can hang out with free wifi access, and you can have a nice glass of wine or nice coffee, or walk 50 feet and get a free coffee or drink of your choice and come back and sit down.

It doesn't have to be all inclusive or nothing.

I personally also enjoy coffee, but the stuff in the machine (free) is excellent, so I'll use that, but I won't prevent someone from ordering a coffee that might be "special" in some way. Your money, your decision.

I really don't get what the fuss is about. It's a nice addition. Use it, or don't. Doesn't affect the price of your trip (however making high end wine and coffee part of the AI package might affect the price, as someone will have to pay for my free $1120 bottle of wine).

Be careful what you wish for...
    Hedo, Sept. 27-Oct. 8, 2015 (can't wait to return).

Hedo, February 2015.

Hedo, September 2014 . First time!

Brilliance of the Seas - January 2014

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast