Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtyard Renovations

We always get a Nude jacuzzi room so we bring a travel Keurig pot so you can just make coffee and walk out on the beach. Just a little spoiled with our coffee.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sunbabes View Post
    Good thing the Jamaican Smoking Law is specific to tobacco

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent1.html
    is the new law just for rooms or is that include outside areas also?

Quote Originally Posted by mac_r_a View Post
    Yes there are pics - but they are waiting to open until they get the a/c installed and working. But you have to purchase the wine and speciality coffees, they are not included (at least that is what I have been told)
    really? now that will just stink. the other resort we went to down there this year had a coffee bar, part of all inclusive and i loved it! guess we shall see in 31 days!

Quote Originally Posted by funlover View Post
    really? now that will just stink. the other resort we went to down there this year had a coffee bar, part of all inclusive and i loved it! guess we shall see in 31 days!
    Nothing is free... If it's included in the all inclusive package, rest assure the package price takes this into consideration.

I too prefer to have everything in the all-inclusive package, but I also understand the resort needing to introduce these additions in a way that will not have people complaining of price hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by gsml View Post
    Nothing is free... If it's included in the all inclusive package, rest assure the package price takes this into consideration.

I too prefer to have everything in the all-inclusive package, but I also understand the resort needing to introduce these additions in a way that will not have people complaining of price hikes.
    I think it's brilliant to offer basic all inclusive, including coffee and wine and then premium coffee and wine for those willing to pay extra. Something for everyone. If they started including premium specialty coffees at no extra charge they would have to hire extra staff because those drinks are fairly labor intensive and many people would want them. But why should everyone pay a little extra for that when some people have no interest in specialty coffee or fine wine. Personally, I hope the prices are within my budget so I can indulge a little.
    I think it would be nice if they could offer room service for a fee at some point!

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    I have no issues with them offering these premium wines and coffees. To me, the normal stuff is fine for my simple taste buds and the chardonnay that we had at dinner throughout the week was good.

As long as they continue to serve the top shelf liquors at the bars around the resort, I'm a happy camper. No one's going to force you to buy wine or coffee at this new little nook, it's just an option for those who want to splurge on a little premium stuff.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

I guess everyone has opinions of what makes a great vacation experience. I could care less about top shelf liquor or fancy wine. But, as long as I am naked on the beach with great friends, I will be happy. Free coffee or not. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
    is the new law just for rooms or is that include outside areas also?
    The law covers smoking within the hotel rooms and in some public areas as well. They look at this as a "workplace" smoking legislation

"The law made enclosed public places smokefree, including public transportation; workplaces; government-owned and occupied buildings; health facilities; pharmacies; sports and recreational facilities for use by the public"

"The terms ‘public place’ and ‘enclosed’ will be redefined to ensure greater clarity and appropriate enforcement. Smoke free places will be clarified. These include, but is not limited to all outdoor service and dining areas, indoor areas, parks, heritage sites excluding their parking lots, gateways and driveways,”

http://jis.gov.jm/house-approves-ame...g-regulations/

In practice, Hedo has for some time now stated that smoking in your room may cost you a $250 cleaning fee.

Also for at least a few years now the main dining room has been smoke free, so you had to smoke on the pool deck, in behind the bandstand or the courtyard and other open spaces...

This forum is the first place that I have heard that they intend to prohibit smoking in the courtyard, and i am surprised at that as it is an open space.. so it need not apply.

Is there an actual ban being attempted on tobacco smoke in the courtyard.. or just a failure to provide ashtrays?

For many years the area outside the piano bar has been a favorite place for smokers of all types and I cant see that changing in practice easily.

As I mentioned earlier ganja smoking is not covered under the smoking laws, so its going to be an interesting situation to see those who indulge lighting up if tobacco smokers cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_r_a View Post
    Yes there are pics - but they are waiting to open until they get the a/c installed and working. But you have to purchase the wine and speciality coffees, they are not included (at least that is what I have been told)
    Actually the standard wines that are served with meals are still included.. .there is a new wine bar (beside the DJ area in the main dining room) where wines may be purchased rather than needing to indulge in the basic fare.

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    The standard coffee, which I enjoy, is also still included.

Courtyard and area near the door of the piano bar has No Smoking signs. I believe I saw a designated area over near the corner of the piano bar on the outside by the tennis court fence though.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

This forum is the first place that I have heard that they intend to prohibit smoking in the courtyard, and i am surprised at that as it is an open space.. so it need not apply.
    Seeing that the NEW courtyard is covered in artificial turf, the no smoking policy there makes a lot of sense.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

Sorry to hear that the new coffee bar on the courtyard may be "extra." I think it's a slippery slope to start adding yet another NOT included item at an all-inclusive. IMO, it seriously detracts from the all-inclusive feel and concept. (First it was the airport transport, then a special "wine" bar, wi-fi in your room is not included, etc.) Makes you wonder what is next.

We went to an all-inclusive (not c/o) in the DR a couple years ago and they had a great coffee/cigar area that was included, was a great place to hang out while waiting for evening entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by HedoJoe View Post
    Seeing that the NEW courtyard is covered in artificial turf, the no smoking policy there makes a lot of sense.
    Good point.. but that is more of a clear indication that they should not have put down astroturf or any flammable item in the courtyard.

I dont see how they will be able to prevent people from smoking there... its a nonstarter

Is there an actual ban being attempted on tobacco smoke in the courtyard.. or just a failure to provide ashtrays?
    There are No Smoking signs all over the walls, and set up all over the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by suesbob View Post
    There are No Smoking signs all over the walls, and set up all over the lawn.
    Any signs around the piano bar?

A No smoking sign has never made a difference at hedo before.

If the signs are not backed up by the Jamaican government's workplace legislation, then its merely a courtesy notion.

As we all know Hedo guests are notorious for trying to have a place with as few "rules" as possible and actively walk the line.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast